ClumsyMonkey.net

Just weeks after the release of V..

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Postby Johnny » 4/3/2006, 11:49 am

Well, I think the curfew itself is pointless. Basically, its not fair to the young 'uns and I sympathize with the young crowd. And no, I'm not scared of this curfew for several reason:

1. It doesnt affect me
2. I grew up in a town that has a 12am curfew. And I've never been caught once.
3. I went to highschool in a town that has a 1am curfew, and it did not stop me from visiting my mates who live there. Once again, we've never been caught and told to go home.
4. How enforcable is a curfew? There isn't enough man power to enforce it totally. Sure, a few people will be caught here and there, but a great deal won't.

Thats my two cents on this curfew thing.
Professional Canadian.
Johnny
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007

Postby starvingeyes » 4/3/2006, 11:50 am

while i suppose all of that is very practical and for the most part i agree, i still have to point out that curfew laws allow politicians WAY too much control over our lives and that they can only lead to bad, bad stuff.
starvingeyes
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby I AM ME » 4/3/2006, 12:50 pm

I don't share Chris's fear of this jumpstarting further totaltarian control, I don't think it coudl realistically lead to anything much, as curfews have been in effect across Canada for decades already.

I simply object to the use of curfews and other restrictions of freedom because I don't agree with either. There's a tons of reasons why I don't.

*Check out the badass spelling and typing errors in that one*
"How can we justify spending so much on destruction and so little on life?" Matthew Good

"The white dove is gone, the one world has come down hard, so why not share the pain of our problems, when all around are wrong ways, when all around is hurt, i'll roll up in an odd shape and wait, untill the tide has turned.....with anger, i'm dead weight, i'm anchored"- IME, God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas) ^ Some say this song is about a terrorists thoughts before 911

"Pray for the sheep" Matt Good
"But it's alright, take the world and make it yours again" Matt Good

I felt it in the wind, and i saw it in the sky, i thought it was the end, i thought it was the 4th of July.

"Hold on, hold on children, your mother and father are leaving, hold on, hold on children your best freind's parents are leaving, leaving,.......*AHHH*! " - Death From Above - Black History Month
I AM ME

Postby starvingeyes » 4/3/2006, 1:45 pm

my point here is not that the law itself is soooo terrible, but the mindset behind it is.
starvingeyes

Postby magicseamonkey » 4/3/2006, 2:41 pm

There's been a curfew where I grew up of 11 or 12 for years...
magicseamonkey

Postby mosaik » 4/3/2006, 6:28 pm

Chanandler Bong wrote:1. It doesnt affect me
2. I grew up in a town that has a 12am curfew. And I've never been caught once.
3. I went to highschool in a town that has a 1am curfew, and it did not stop me from visiting my mates who live there. Once again, we've never been caught and told to go home.
4. How enforcable is a curfew? There isn't enough man power to enforce it totally. Sure, a few people will be caught here and there, but a great deal won't.

Thats my two cents on this curfew thing.

your main point can be thusly summed up: You are already above the age that is being targetted, and in your personal experiences the curfews that were in place in the past have not been enforced.

Fine, that's all well and good. The problem is that while curfew laws are not currently being enforced, their very existence means that they one day could be.

When, and for what reason, is now simply a matter of the governments choosing. The law has already passed and when it did pass most of you were indifferent. To a politician, indifference equals support.

Do you now understand why allowing this type of law to stand is dangerous?
mosaik
dictator
dictator

Postby myownsatellite » 4/3/2006, 10:05 pm

One of the local malls instituted a curfew last year, where if you are under the age of 18 you have to be accompanied by an adult after 8pm from Friday through Sunday.

...I'm 22 years old, wearing a college sweatshirt, holding a credit card and a cell phone, and by myself, and I get carded.

WTF?
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby starvingeyes » 4/3/2006, 10:06 pm

EIGHT pm? that's a little early isn't it?

i'd be pissed as fuck if i were a retailer in that mall, i'll tell you that.
starvingeyes

Postby closeyoureyes » 4/3/2006, 10:10 pm

I've never heard of curfews til V... That's weird.
I wouldn't care, I break the law all the time.
sinead
closeyoureyes
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby myownsatellite » 4/3/2006, 10:10 pm

It was put in place to cut down on the amount of teenagers who stand at the entrances smoking and harrassing shoppers.

It didn't work very well, since they still stand outside, because all the curfew shit is done from the inside of the mall.

I tell you though, it sure is nice to be able to walk through a teenager-free mall on weekends XD
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite

Postby starvingeyes » 4/3/2006, 10:12 pm

hahaha so it backfired. rules of that type generally do.
starvingeyes

Postby myownsatellite » 4/3/2006, 10:17 pm

It backfired ... on the outside ;) On the inside, I don't have to deal with as many brats running around with their pants around their ankles and their underwear hanging out and their clothes covering less of their bodies than a bathing suit...

...good lord I sound like my grandmother.
~*Megan*~

myownsatellite

Postby Bandalero » 4/3/2006, 10:47 pm

curfews suck ass, i never liked them.

with my niece i try and fight the good fight through her. but she's busy and a good girl, so she doesn't fight the good fight. she sucks.
Whenever death may surprise us,
let it be welcome
if our battle cry has reached even one receptive ear
and another hand reaches out to take up our arms.

Nobody's gonna miss me, no tears will fall, no ones gonna weap, when i hit that road.
my boots are broken my brain is sore, fer keepin' up with thier little world, i got a heavy load.
gonna leave 'em all just like before, i'm big city bound, your always 17 in your hometown
Bandalero

Postby I AM ME » 4/4/2006, 1:40 am

What happened with whole locked thread thing? I didn't see anything offensive.....although i haven't yet read the monster of a gun control thread that grew after i commented.
"How can we justify spending so much on destruction and so little on life?" Matthew Good

"The white dove is gone, the one world has come down hard, so why not share the pain of our problems, when all around are wrong ways, when all around is hurt, i'll roll up in an odd shape and wait, untill the tide has turned.....with anger, i'm dead weight, i'm anchored"- IME, God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas) ^ Some say this song is about a terrorists thoughts before 911

"Pray for the sheep" Matt Good
"But it's alright, take the world and make it yours again" Matt Good

I felt it in the wind, and i saw it in the sky, i thought it was the end, i thought it was the 4th of July.

"Hold on, hold on children, your mother and father are leaving, hold on, hold on children your best freind's parents are leaving, leaving,.......*AHHH*! " - Death From Above - Black History Month
I AM ME

Postby myownsatellite » 4/4/2006, 7:21 am

...locked thread?
~*Megan*~

myownsatellite

Postby Soozy » 4/4/2006, 11:41 am

Curfews shouold be used as punishment for people who are known troublemakers. Applying them to an entire section of society for no other reason than their age is wrong. I thiikn that's what the courts decided over here too. If I could think straight I'd have more to say and be able to make decent arguments. Sorry.
Open your eyes to nights and days, you close them up and float away
and somehow inbetween you've got to master lying to yourself
you back the cause, get out of school, you get a job, the job gets you
and somehow every day you end up serving somebody else
now if that ain't panic that you're feeling, then you damn well better start
you can drive it into that head of yours with the hammer in your heart.

And it's alriiiiiiiight now, take the world and make it yours again.
Soozy

Previous