ClumsyMonkey.net

Moussaoui Trial

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Moussaoui Trial

Postby pit_girl1 » 3/13/2006, 9:17 pm

Apparently a TSA lawyer violated a restriction on coaching witnesses and the federal judge trying the Moussaoui (the guy who supposedly would have been another hijacker in the 9/11 attacks) may throw the case out, meaning that Moussaoui would not get the death penalty.

In response to this, a family member of a 9/11 victim said one of the most idiotic things I have EVER heard. He said that he didn't necessarily want eye for an eye, but that executing Moussaoui would "deter others" from similar attacks against the US.

GAH!!!!!!!!! Does this man not get the concept of a SUICIDE bomber? They are perfectly fine with dying for their cause! That won't deter them AT ALL! And this from someone intimately connected with 9/11! Didn't he get that none of the hijackers survived? WTF????

Sorry I just can't believe how dumb that statement was...
~Hannah

Let the bare feet be the last sounds that they hear...

(yes, I have succumbed to the addiction that is last.fm)
pit_girl1

Postby Joe Cooler » 3/13/2006, 9:27 pm

While I can see your position, I'm also sympathetic to family member who made the statement. After all, he or she did lose someone they loved. It would be natural of them to want revenge/justice.

Of course, I'm not saying it is right, but rather, that I can understand the family member's statement.
Joe Cooler

Postby pit_girl1 » 3/13/2006, 9:54 pm

Joe Cooler wrote:While I can see your position, I'm also sympathetic to family member who made the statement. After all, he or she did lose someone they loved. It would be natural of them to want revenge/justice.

Of course, I'm not saying it is right, but rather, that I can understand the family member's statement.

I actually would understand his statement a lot more if he said he did want revenge, that he did want eye for an eye. But he says he doesn't, and that he thinks it will deter others. And that is just completely unfounded.
~Hannah

pit_girl1

Postby Axtech » 3/13/2006, 9:55 pm

There's a difference, however, between wanting revenge and saying he wants revenge. He's probably just trying to justify his feelings towards Moussaoui.
- -
Every now and then I fall out into open air just to feel the wind, rain and everything.
And though the hum and sway gets me down
, I'll find the way to peace and openness.

"Robbo" - © Alex (happeningfish)...^5 ^5 v v
Axtech
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2004

Postby pit_girl1 » 3/13/2006, 10:19 pm

What I was trying to point out has nothing to do with the revenge factor though. It's the fact that he thinks death is a deterrence to those who seek death. That's just idiotic. It's giving them exactly what they want.
~Hannah

pit_girl1

Postby Axtech » 3/13/2006, 10:22 pm

Well, I think they wanted him to kill people, not die alone unsuccessfully.

In any case, I understand that the man isn't making sense, I'm just theorizing that perhaps it's not his belief that it will deter others. He's just saying that as a justification for arguing that he should be executed (if he just said he wanted an eye for an eye, there would be people popping up absurdly saying that he's no better than the terrorists, etc etc etc)
- -
Every now and then I fall out into open air just to feel the wind, rain and everything.
And though the hum and sway gets me down
, I'll find the way to peace and openness.

"Robbo" - © Alex (happeningfish)...^5 ^5 v v
Axtech

Postby pit_girl1 » 3/13/2006, 10:28 pm

Axtech wrote:Well, I think they wanted him to kill people, not die alone unsuccessfully.

Right, but in my understanding, by dying at the hands of the US government they're still dying as a martyr. Moussaoui had said that he wanted to be executed for that very reason.

Axtech wrote:In any case, I understand that the man isn't making sense, I'm just theorizing that perhaps it's not his belief that it will deter others. He's just saying that as a justification for arguing that he should be executed (if he just said he wanted an eye for an eye, there would be people popping up absurdly saying that he's no better than the terrorists, etc etc etc)

True, true. That's a good point. I just really hope that people don't actually believe that it would be a deterrence, because that demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding about al qaeda's motivations. And I'm of the belief that understanding on all sides is necessary if volatile situations like this are to be resolved in a non-explosive manner. Ignorance leads to fear and hate. That's all my opinion, obviously - I'm somewhat an idealist - but that's what I believe.
~Hannah

pit_girl1

Postby happening fish » 3/14/2006, 12:51 am

Don't worry, Hannah. I understand what you mean.
Suggesting that a death penalty will deter suicide bombers = stupid.
awkward is the new cool
[url]gutterhome.blogspot.com[/url]
happening fish
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006