ClumsyMonkey.net

Serbian strongman's death threatens to spark political crisi

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Serbian strongman's death threatens to spark political crisi

Postby Kathy » 3/13/2006, 10:20 am

Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place... geez

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ional/home

The funeral places Serbia's government, considered moderate and pro-European though it is supported by some radical nationalist parties, in an extremely awkward position.

To allow a state funeral, which appears necessary under Serbian laws, they will have to allow entry to Mr. Milosevic's wife and adult children, who are reportedly living in hiding in Russia. His wife, Mirjana Markovic, faces charges for ordering the assassination of a rival.

To grant the family immunity and to allow them to preside over a huge funeral at a moment when even moderate Serbs are feeling sympathy for Mr. Milosevic could reignite the ultranationalist cause.

But to refuse them admission or to reduce the scope of the funeral could cause the family to hold it in Russia instead, a prospect that would further embitter the Serbian people, possibly driving them even more dramatically into the hands of the radicals.

Serbian officials wrestled with these choices yesterday and said they were not even close to reaching a conclusion. Their government is already extremely fragile. It is in the midst of international talks over the status of Kosovo, the country's embattled southern province, that will likely lead to its independence, further embittering Serbs.
<I><B>"I know this sounds corny, and I might be a little bit drunk, but honest to god, thank you everybody"</B></I>
Kathy
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby Lando » 3/14/2006, 2:35 am

I was watching this on the news. It seems like his family won't attend the big funeral in Serbia and the family will probably have a seperate funeral where they're safe in Russia afterwards... I guess we'll see though.
Lando
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005

Postby Kathy » 3/14/2006, 6:10 am

The media coverage has been strange here... there's a lot of talk of the UN countries manipulating information and spreading untruths about him, etc.

I like this line in the article: "Because he has died, he is now innocent of any charges". There was a big argument in the news about this quote.
<I><B>"I know this sounds corny, and I might be a little bit drunk, but honest to god, thank you everybody"</B></I>
Kathy

Postby Lando » 3/14/2006, 6:19 pm

The thing is, I don't really remember this guy being all that strong. I could probably beat him in an arm wrestle.
Lando

Postby Kathy » 3/18/2006, 10:49 am

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... 14/BNStory

"Mr. Milosevic's son, Marko, flew to the Netherlands on Tuesday to collect his fathers remains. He contended that his father had been murdered: “He got killed. He didn't die. He got killed. There's a murder.”

The tribunal official, who has access to confidential documents on Mr. Milosevic's medication use, said two doctors concluded that the former Serb leader was intentionally taking drugs that undermined the prescribed medication for his heart ailment.

Mr. Milosevic, who was defending himself against 66 counts of war crimes, was allowed to work in a private office where he could meet privately with witnesses and legal advisers, making it impossible to monitor material that they may have smuggled in to him, the official said."

I wouldn't have expected that this would be allowed in a UN detention center. :wtf:
Kathy

Postby happening fish » 3/19/2006, 5:02 pm

apparently 50,000 people showed up to his funeral. so much for being considered a monster!
awkward is the new cool
[url]gutterhome.blogspot.com[/url]
happening fish
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby Kathy » 3/19/2006, 5:47 pm

yeah no kidding. There are a lot of people who consider him a hero
Kathy

Postby Lando » 3/19/2006, 9:06 pm

and strong too apparently.
Lando