ClumsyMonkey.net

Taking my road test tomorrow! Any Tips?

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Postby quietorloud » 3/13/2006, 2:23 pm

*hugs* Thx Soozy! my real name is Darren, by the way. I should really fit that into my sig or something..
I don't do sigs.
-Darren
quietorloud

Postby Soozy » 3/13/2006, 2:25 pm

Hey Darren :)

If I were you I'd get on and do it again, to get it over with. When I did mine there was a 3 month waiting list, and since I didn't really need any more lessons I'd basically not drive again until a couple of weeks before my test which probably didn't help.
Open your eyes to nights and days, you close them up and float away
and somehow inbetween you've got to master lying to yourself
you back the cause, get out of school, you get a job, the job gets you
and somehow every day you end up serving somebody else
now if that ain't panic that you're feeling, then you damn well better start
you can drive it into that head of yours with the hammer in your heart.

And it's alriiiiiiiight now, take the world and make it yours again.
Soozy
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby quietorloud » 3/13/2006, 2:28 pm

ooh I see. I think my dad wants to book a couple more lessons before my next exam though. I really do want to just get to over with!!
I don't do sigs.
-Darren
quietorloud

Postby half jill » 3/13/2006, 2:30 pm

im hoping i pass the first time..cause it's $40 to do it again.
and i have no money left from paying everything off :(
half jill
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Soozy » 3/13/2006, 2:34 pm

awww poor Dommy :( My Daddy paid for all my driving lessons and tests as my 17th birthday present.

Darren, can't you get a couple of lessons in the next couple of weeks?

And can someone explain to me these different levels of driving tests and licenses and stuff? When I did mine you had a road test and that was it, these days though there's a theory test and a hazard perception test and if you get caught doing anything bad in the first couple of years the penalties are much worse.
Open your eyes to nights and days, you close them up and float away
and somehow inbetween you've got to master lying to yourself
you back the cause, get out of school, you get a job, the job gets you
and somehow every day you end up serving somebody else
now if that ain't panic that you're feeling, then you damn well better start
you can drive it into that head of yours with the hammer in your heart.

And it's alriiiiiiiight now, take the world and make it yours again.
Soozy

Postby quietorloud » 3/13/2006, 3:00 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure when my next lessons will be.

For Licenses, I think this is how it works:
When you're 16, you can do a written (well, it's on a touch-screen comp, but everyone calls it written) exam. If you pass that, you get your L. With the L, you have to have a class 5 driver in the passenger seat beside you when you drive. 1 year after that (less, you go to a driving school), you can take the N test. The N test is a road test. If you pass, you can drive with a maximum of 1 other passenger, unless it's an imediate family member, then you can have as many as there are seatbelts. 2 years after you get your N, you take another test for your full license, which lets you go on highways, and have as many passengers as you have seatbelts, and there are no restrictions in regards to hours you can drive.

I think that's right.. please correct me if i made a mistake or if I missed anything.
I don't do sigs.
-Darren
quietorloud

Postby Soozy » 3/13/2006, 3:02 pm

woah that's complicated. So do you have restricted hours on the N thing? How old are you before you can get your full licence?

Ours is 17 for a provisional licence (you need someone over 21 who's had a licence for I think 3 years or more with you) but once you've passed your road test you're free to do what you want other than the penalties are more severe if you screw up and they can take your licence away again much more easily for the first couple of years.
Last edited by Soozy on 3/13/2006, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soozy

Postby quietorloud » 3/13/2006, 3:07 pm

yeah there are restricted hours for the N, but i'm not sure when it is. You have to be atleast 19, i think, for the full license.
I don't do sigs.
-Darren
quietorloud

Postby half jill » 3/13/2006, 4:19 pm

Soozy wrote:awww poor Dommy :( My Daddy paid for all my driving lessons and tests as my 17th birthday present.

Darren, can't you get a couple of lessons in the next couple of weeks?

And can someone explain to me these different levels of driving tests and licenses and stuff? When I did mine you had a road test and that was it, these days though there's a theory test and a hazard perception test and if you get caught doing anything bad in the first couple of years the penalties are much worse.

yeah, i don't ask my mom for money cause she really doesn't have any to spare. she has a second job now which helps a bit, but i'm not gonna mooch it off her. :P

and here...you have to do a written test first to attain your g1 (you have to be 16)...you can drive with anyone who's had their licence for more than 4 years. then a year after getting your g1 (or 8 months if you do drivers ed) you go for your road test. if you pass that, you get your g2. you can drive alone...then a year after that, you go for another road test to get your full G licence. yeeeaeh.
half jill

Postby Sonya » 3/13/2006, 4:50 pm

quietorloud wrote:I think that's right.. please correct me if i made a mistake or if I missed anything.

that's it, more or less. :nod:
"if the nuremberg trials were applied to us foreign policy, every us president since 1945 would have been hanged." noam chomsky.

...and this is me hanging on / i'd burn our initials in the sun if it would shine / anxiety chokes me like razor wire / if hate's in your heart man, you'll take what you're given / wake up / i'm not the only one / it's never goodbye / go ahead and play dead / if everyone's a casualty, then take your time, there ain't no trouble / these wounds they will not heal / ambition can be a tricky thing / what the hell do i know about rape anyway? / this is not what i hoped for / ain't it so weird how it makes you a weapon / who will be there to tell me how stupid i am? / those living for death will die by their own hand / and it's me that I am spying on / pick up the pieces and live with the stars / hurry up and wait / things have never been so swell / they're always the ones who slowly drift / be great / ...and this is my world.
Sonya

Postby saman » 3/13/2006, 6:11 pm

awwwww i'm sorry you didn't get your license :(

but now that you have a little while before the next test, get out there and PRACTICE! :mrgreen:
saman
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Axtech » 3/13/2006, 6:12 pm

I failed my first time, too. It's pretty common, so you shouldn't be too bummed about it. :D
- -
Every now and then I fall out into open air just to feel the wind, rain and everything.
And though the hum and sway gets me down
, I'll find the way to peace and openness.

"Robbo" - © Alex (happeningfish)...^5 ^5 v v
Axtech
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2004

Postby Kathy » 3/13/2006, 6:16 pm

I think the problem might have been that he took your advice:

Axtech wrote:brake right, gas left
<I><B>"I know this sounds corny, and I might be a little bit drunk, but honest to god, thank you everybody"</B></I>
Kathy

Postby _old_lady_peace » 3/13/2006, 6:17 pm

i'm a baaaaaaaad driver

hahaha :lol:

not funny. bad katie!
<b><3</b> Katie! ~ proud member of the anti-milk alliance

<b> "well i'm not sleeping, you're not here"</b><br>

"and the lonliness leads to bad dreams, and the <b>bad dreams lead me to calling you</b>, and i call you and say...<i>come here</i>"
_old_lady_peace

Postby Axtech » 3/13/2006, 6:20 pm

:lol:
- -
Every now and then I fall out into open air just to feel the wind, rain and everything.
And though the hum and sway gets me down
, I'll find the way to peace and openness.

"Robbo" - © Alex (happeningfish)...^5 ^5 v v
Axtech

Postby Random Name » 3/13/2006, 7:19 pm

...I should really try to get my licence.

:eek:
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name

Postby saman » 3/13/2006, 7:28 pm

i have my license, but insurance is ridiculous in newfoundland (and everywhere in canada except for saskatchewan, in my opinion), so i don't have insurance and therefore can't actually drive anywhere. :/
saman

Postby Kathy » 3/13/2006, 7:38 pm

I'm so happy to be over 25 with lower insurance now.
<I><B>"I know this sounds corny, and I might be a little bit drunk, but honest to god, thank you everybody"</B></I>
Kathy

Postby christa lynn » 3/14/2006, 12:45 am

I failed my first time too. I sped through a school zone ...

I'm so glad I have that whole deal behind me now, especially with the new restrictions and timescale of the N. Now I just need money for insurance, gas, and parking (I'm in a residence at university) ..... oh, and a car.
this message brought to you by: astronerds inc. - come to us for all your astro/physics/math curiosities
christa lynn
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby thirdhour » 3/14/2006, 2:53 pm

I passed my first time. :D

With your N you're supposed to put a big green N up in the window, but I don't and no one ever pulls me over, so it works out anyways.

quietorloud wrote:2 years after you get your N, you take another test for your full license, which lets you go on highways.

Nobody ever told me I wasn't allowed to go on highways... :wtf:
thirdhour
Oskar Winner: 2004
Oskar Winner: 2004

PreviousNext