ClumsyMonkey.net

what next?

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Postby mosaik » 1/27/2006, 6:02 pm

Oooookay. Pit_girl1 it appears that in your opinion a perfect world would be one in which the general populace have no weapons and the government has them all. is that in fact your position?
mosaik
dictator
dictator

Postby Rusty » 1/27/2006, 6:12 pm

I don't think the general public should have access to handguns. They have no use whatsoever. Rifles, shotguns, ok. They are used for hunting, it's not my sport but some enjoy it. Handguns however have no purpose for hunting and are thus useless, except for police officers. However, it is their job to enforce the law and it's a dangerous one at that sometimes, so they may need a firearm at times to protect themselves. However, the general population does not need handguns. I've said it before and I'm saying it again now.

Queens Of The Stone Age-Someone's In The Wolf

Once you're lost in twillights's blue
You don't find your way, the way finds you...

Tempt the fates, beware the smile
It hides all the teeth, my dear,
What's behind them...

So glad you could stay
Forever

He steps between the trees, a crooked man
There's blood on the blade
Don't take his hand

You warm by the firelight, in twilight's blue
Shadows creep & dance the walls
He's creeping too..

So glad you could stay
Forever

Image <----------------- click and listen!
Rusty
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby magicseamonkey » 1/27/2006, 6:25 pm

don't need automatic weapons either...

yet, they're allowed some places.
magicseamonkey

Postby mosaik » 1/27/2006, 6:59 pm

Rusty wrote:I don't think the general public should have access to handguns. They have no use whatsoever. Rifles, shotguns, ok. They are used for hunting, it's not my sport but some enjoy it. Handguns however have no purpose for hunting and are thus useless, except for police officers. However, it is their job to enforce the law and it's a dangerous one at that sometimes, so they may need a firearm at times to protect themselves. However, the general population does not need handguns. I've said it before and I'm saying it again now.

i'll happily debate you on that.
mosaik
dictator
dictator

Postby thirdhour » 1/27/2006, 7:00 pm

Doug is back in the hizzouse!
thirdhour
Oskar Winner: 2004

Postby Rusty » 1/27/2006, 8:17 pm

magicseamonkey wrote:don't need automatic weapons either...

I'm against automatic weapons as well, save them for the military.

mosaik wrote:
Rusty wrote:I don't think the general public should have access to handguns. They have no use whatsoever. Rifles, shotguns, ok. They are used for hunting, it's not my sport but some enjoy it. Handguns however have no purpose for hunting and are thus useless, except for police officers. However, it is their job to enforce the law and it's a dangerous one at that sometimes, so they may need a firearm at times to protect themselves. However, the general population does not need handguns. I've said it before and I'm saying it again now.

Well I didn't say all that for my health. If I only lived with my opinion the world would be a pretty boring place. As long as we keep the debate civil, by all means please let us debate.

What's behind them...

So glad you could stay
Forever

Don't take his hand

He's creeping too..

So glad you could stay
Forever

Rusty

Postby thirdhour » 1/27/2006, 11:37 pm

I don't think automatic weapons should exsist at all, but hey, little late for that one.
thirdhour

Postby pit_girl1 » 1/28/2006, 1:23 am

mosaik wrote:Oooookay. Pit_girl1 it appears that in your opinion a perfect world would be one in which the general populace have no weapons and the government has them all. is that in fact your position?

Actually a perfect world would have no weapons whatsoever. That's my ideal, although it will never happen. But yes, I am avidly pro-gun control. Automatic weapons should be completely and totally banned, and handguns seriously limited. I agree a lot with Rusty's statement above.
~Hannah

Let the bare feet be the last sounds that they hear...

(yes, I have succumbed to the addiction that is last.fm)
pit_girl1

Postby xjsb125 » 1/28/2006, 9:18 am

Rusty wrote:Handguns however have no purpose for hunting and are thus useless, except for police officers.

That's false. There are some handguns that are in fact used and designed for hunting. The majority will be manufactured for personal defense and law enforcement, but there are some created for competition, hunting small game, and large game. Most states require the caliber of ammunition to be above .223-.24 caliber, which covers the majority of handguns on the market. There are also handguns that operate that use black powder or pyrodex (these are loaded from the muzzle, or the end of the barrel) that have virtually no self defense purpose and are made strictly for hunting.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby dream in japanese » 1/28/2006, 2:09 pm

thirdhour wrote:I don't think automatic weapons should exsist at all, but hey, little late for that one.

that's how i feel too :(
dream in japanese
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby dream in japanese » 1/28/2006, 2:16 pm

pit_girl1 wrote:
dream in japanese wrote:harper wants to get rid of gun registry laws in canada :uhh:

How the hell is he defending that one? Jeez...does he want to turn Canada into the US?

here's how:

harper's platform wrote:Ending the wasteful long-gun registry and using the savings to hire more front-line police officers.

so yes...make it easier for more people to own guns and then solve that issue by arming more police officers with more guns. more guns is his solution to violence :uhh:
dream in japanese

Postby Joe Cooler » 1/28/2006, 2:22 pm

The thing is, the long-gun registry IS wasteful and has proved rather pointless so far.
Joe Cooler

Postby Rusty » 1/28/2006, 2:30 pm

xjsb125 wrote:
Rusty wrote:Handguns however have no purpose for hunting and are thus useless, except for police officers.

That's false. There are some handguns that are in fact used and designed for hunting. The majority will be manufactured for personal defense and law enforcement, but there are some created for competition, hunting small game, and large game. Most states require the caliber of ammunition to be above .223-.24 caliber, which covers the majority of handguns on the market. There are also handguns that operate that use black powder or pyrodex (these are loaded from the muzzle, or the end of the barrel) that have virtually no self defense purpose and are made strictly for hunting.

Ok, the handguns that are used for hunting and have no self defense purpose are hunting weapons then. But if they are no good for self defence, they wouldn't make a very good murder weapon i'd assume. Why do there need to be handguns for hunting anyway?

What's behind them...

So glad you could stay
Forever

Don't take his hand

He's creeping too..

So glad you could stay
Forever

Rusty

Postby dream in japanese » 1/28/2006, 2:31 pm

i don't know ONE person who owns a gun in their house. i just don't want that to change.
dream in japanese

Postby Kathy » 1/28/2006, 2:38 pm

I'm happy that I can say the same thing
<I><B>"I know this sounds corny, and I might be a little bit drunk, but honest to god, thank you everybody"</B></I>
Kathy
Oskar Winner: 2007
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby closeyoureyes » 1/28/2006, 2:47 pm

My stepdad had guns when i was a little kid, but he got rid of them when i was like 9, and I never actually SAW one.
sinead
closeyoureyes

Postby Joe Cooler » 1/28/2006, 2:50 pm

Prohibited Fire arms in Canada: Fully automatic military assault weapons, semi-automatics which can be converted to automatics, along with a few other selected models not suitable for hunting or target shooting, short-barreled handguns, sawed-off shotguns and large capacity magazines.

I know a lot of people who own guns and none of them own a handgun or keep the guns they do own (rifles) in their house. This hasnt changed with the introduction of the registery and I imagine it wont change if it is axed.
Joe Cooler

Postby xjsb125 » 1/28/2006, 5:30 pm

Rusty wrote:Why do there need to be handguns for hunting anyway?

Challenge. It takes somewhat greater skill to gain accuracy with a handgun than it does with a rifle, and you also lose the ability to make the long distance shots that a rifle is capable of.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby Rusty » 1/28/2006, 7:05 pm

I see. Would those hand guns be easy to hide or effective against a human though?

What's behind them...

So glad you could stay
Forever

Don't take his hand

He's creeping too..

So glad you could stay
Forever

Rusty

Postby mosaik » 1/28/2006, 8:15 pm

Rusty wrote:
magicseamonkey wrote:don't need automatic weapons either...

I'm against automatic weapons as well, save them for the military.

mosaik wrote:

Well I didn't say all that for my health. If I only lived with my opinion the world would be a pretty boring place. As long as we keep the debate civil, by all means please let us debate.

I just don't see how you can say that people do not have the right to every available opportunity to protect themselves from any and every threat they percieve.

Somtimes you even need a weapon to protect yourself FROM the police. The best check, in fact the only real check, on the power of the state is the number of the population that are armed.

I see a lot of posts in this thread that say something to the effect of "destroy all guns"

But of course you realize that even without guns, people have always found ways to kill eachother. A better dream would be to eliminate that desire in others to have or conquer our neighbors possesions.

The weapons are not the issue, it is the mindset of the people holding the weapons that needs to change.
mosaik
dictator
dictator

PreviousNext