ClumsyMonkey.net

The Problem of Female Body Image

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Postby Joe Cooler » 4/5/2006, 1:29 pm

Olp_waited wrote:
Axtech wrote:But doesn't social pressure about appearance cause that need for control to manifest itself in an eating disorder rather than some other behaviour?

yes and no. I mean obviosuly the thin look is not skeletal, so it wouldn't explain that. I also believe that if you are doing this just as a crash diet or "fad" or whatever, then your a poser.

You lost me. Are you saying that people can be "poser" anorexics?
Joe Cooler

Postby half jill » 4/5/2006, 1:30 pm

yeah...which is my reasoning for the :freak:
care to explain,
half jill
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby starvingeyes » 4/5/2006, 1:43 pm

hahaha while i'm only speculating i'm sure what she meant is people who literally pose as anorexics to get attention. for instance, i have never met any real anorexics but i've known lots of people who say they are or were anorexic or bulimic at one time.
starvingeyes
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby Soozy » 4/5/2006, 1:46 pm

Why on earth would people say that when they aren't?? I've known a couple of anorexics, but never anyone who'd say that they were when they weren't.
Open your eyes to nights and days, you close them up and float away
and somehow inbetween you've got to master lying to yourself
you back the cause, get out of school, you get a job, the job gets you
and somehow every day you end up serving somebody else
now if that ain't panic that you're feeling, then you damn well better start
you can drive it into that head of yours with the hammer in your heart.

And it's alriiiiiiiight now, take the world and make it yours again.
Soozy

Postby starvingeyes » 4/5/2006, 1:59 pm

because they want attention and getting negative attention is very easy, whereas getting positive attention is not.

it's usually a symptom of a different problem.
starvingeyes

Postby Soozy » 4/5/2006, 2:03 pm

That's just sad. You're right though - it must be caused by something more deep rooted.
Open your eyes to nights and days, you close them up and float away
and somehow inbetween you've got to master lying to yourself
you back the cause, get out of school, you get a job, the job gets you
and somehow every day you end up serving somebody else
now if that ain't panic that you're feeling, then you damn well better start
you can drive it into that head of yours with the hammer in your heart.

And it's alriiiiiiiight now, take the world and make it yours again.
Soozy

Postby Kathy » 4/5/2006, 2:06 pm

:GASP:

woah, I agree with you on something, as I've seen it happen... I've seen real cases of anorexia, as well as people who are not truly anorexic but label themselves as such, go thru the motions, and do it for attention. I met a girl in high school who did this and was using it to get attention and sympathy as a result of problems at home and the depression she was experiencing. I didn't understand the problems until I got to know her better.

I hope it's not common... I'd hate to think that people would begin to be desensitized to the issue of eating disorders after seeing or hearing about people who 'fake it' for attentionn.
<I><B>"I know this sounds corny, and I might be a little bit drunk, but honest to god, thank you everybody"</B></I>
Kathy

Postby starvingeyes » 4/5/2006, 2:19 pm

it's no different from all the tylenol overdose suicide attempts you see in high schools and stuff. just kids crying for attention.
starvingeyes

Postby Lando » 4/5/2006, 3:15 pm

I once tried to overdose on painkillers such as tylenol, but I forgot that I was bulimic and threw them all back up again...
Lando
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005

Postby I AM ME » 4/5/2006, 4:08 pm

Yeah I'd say there's a ton of poser's out there. Not that we should take it lightly when a person says they have a problem like that, but if they're telling everyone who will listen you might wonder.

It seems most people's natural reaction when they suffer from problems like that is to hide it, not shout it to the world
"How can we justify spending so much on destruction and so little on life?" Matthew Good

"The white dove is gone, the one world has come down hard, so why not share the pain of our problems, when all around are wrong ways, when all around is hurt, i'll roll up in an odd shape and wait, untill the tide has turned.....with anger, i'm dead weight, i'm anchored"- IME, God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas) ^ Some say this song is about a terrorists thoughts before 911

"Pray for the sheep" Matt Good
"But it's alright, take the world and make it yours again" Matt Good

I felt it in the wind, and i saw it in the sky, i thought it was the end, i thought it was the 4th of July.

"Hold on, hold on children, your mother and father are leaving, hold on, hold on children your best freind's parents are leaving, leaving,.......*AHHH*! " - Death From Above - Black History Month
I AM ME

Postby Henrietta » 4/5/2006, 5:18 pm

Well I just can't see why someone would lie about that. Perhaps you thought that they weren't because they don't look that way? Because I know for a fact that you can have an eating disorder, and actually not qualify as anorexic because of normal body weight.

On second thought, maybe I can understand it. Someone with it wouldn't admit it...someone who doesn't have it probably would.

I think the real problem here is not that both men and women experience the social pressure to be beautiful. But why do so many more women seem to die as a result?
Henrietta

Postby Olp_waited » 4/5/2006, 8:30 pm

I AM ME wrote:Yeah I'd say there's a ton of poser's out there. Not that we should take it lightly when a person says they have a problem like that, but if they're telling everyone who will listen you might wonder.

It seems most people's natural reaction when they suffer from problems like that is to hide it, not shout it to the world

My point exactly, especially when its people you hang around everyday. People with eating disorders don't tell their friends and they lie when their friends ask them what they have eaten. Eating disorder patients have other friends with ED's to share that stuff with, not with people they actually know who will force them to eat. Any eating disorder is more complex than anyone knows. No one is purely an anoretic or a bulimic or an over eater. Most of the time, a patient will go through all of these stages. It's also not all about weight or food, but that is what is focused on. Trust me on this one, I know that not all ED patients are stick thin, especially when I pointed out that they go through stages.

I believe women die more, because it is more socially acceptable for men to have weight.
Olp_waited

Postby crustine » 4/5/2006, 9:10 pm

Kathy14 wrote:
..... people who are not truly anorexic but label themselves as such, go thru the motions, and do it for attention. I met a girl in high school who did this and was using it to get attention and sympathy as a result of problems at home and the depression she was experiencing.... .

This is exactly what i am referring to when i discuss control. This behariour is what anorexia is about. There is some aspect or even all aspects of their life that is chaotic or abusive and ED is the way to cope. This is one thing you can control. it is very powerful.

I see many of these people at the gym. They workout far harder than anyone else and ususally three times as long. They can control this. If you think it through it makes sense.
<center>~Hope Matters~</center>
<center>Her beauty was disarming, but she had no other resources for dealing with the world.
<center>Image</center>
crustine

Postby Olp_waited » 4/5/2006, 9:18 pm

right, its not only about food, but about control(I know broken record) and how far can you deny yourself, belieiving you are stronger than those weaklings that need food and can't workout for more than 1 hour, etc
Olp_waited

Postby Henrietta » 4/5/2006, 11:10 pm

Sounds like we have lots of people here with EDs...
Henrietta

Postby Axtech » 4/6/2006, 12:06 am

We need a better short form for "Eating Disorder"

At first glance I was wondering why Cass thought we all had Erectile Dysfunction. :lol:
- -
Every now and then I fall out into open air just to feel the wind, rain and everything.
And though the hum and sway gets me down
, I'll find the way to peace and openness.

"Robbo" - © Alex (happeningfish)...^5 ^5 v v
Axtech
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2004
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2004

Postby I AM ME » 4/6/2006, 1:00 am

I have ED

Enormous #%$@

...Clearly I have a self image problem
"How can we justify spending so much on destruction and so little on life?" Matthew Good

"The white dove is gone, the one world has come down hard, so why not share the pain of our problems, when all around are wrong ways, when all around is hurt, i'll roll up in an odd shape and wait, untill the tide has turned.....with anger, i'm dead weight, i'm anchored"- IME, God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas) ^ Some say this song is about a terrorists thoughts before 911

"Pray for the sheep" Matt Good
"But it's alright, take the world and make it yours again" Matt Good

I felt it in the wind, and i saw it in the sky, i thought it was the end, i thought it was the 4th of July.

"Hold on, hold on children, your mother and father are leaving, hold on, hold on children your best freind's parents are leaving, leaving,.......*AHHH*! " - Death From Above - Black History Month
I AM ME

Postby Henrietta » 4/6/2006, 10:23 am

:lol:
Henrietta

Postby crustine » 4/6/2006, 11:38 am

Good one Rob, maybe we should start discussing that!
<center>~Hope Matters~</center>
<center>Her beauty was disarming, but she had no other resources for dealing with the world.
<center>Image</center>
crustine

Previous