ClumsyMonkey.net

ed

Show off your art.
A pop-up book of flowers from grade 4 are driving her insane...

Postby trentm32 » 1/16/2005, 9:22 pm

Random Name wrote:8O

:freak:

So now I really want to know what happens.

I would have assumed that he would feel guilty over leading someone on....
It seemed to me like he wasn't really in love with her...not at all. Friends at a stretch. And when he was like "yeah...I love you too" that was all out of sympathy. Jules now seems clingie and desperate to have the approval of someone, without caring really if she loved them or not.

...Okay write more now. :nod:

Exactly what I was shooting for! It'll be explained more a little later why she went all super-duper clingy...

*huge spoiler*

She got into a fight with Wanda, she was about to kick them out, so Alex was as good a plan as any.

But, as far as their relationship goes, Alex will soon have to figure out exactly why he's with her, and it kinda comes to the point that they're both sort-of using each other (it starts out as Jules kind of using him, for the apartment move-out; but she's eventually gonna truly fall for him, and he'll realize he's is love with *uber-spoiler, drum roll,* Cassie. And, since he's a hella-nice guy, he tells Jules; it's gonna be GOOD stuff. Uber-wicked awesome dialogue. :nod:

*/spoiler*

so stick around guys, there's a ways to go, yet! :)
"When looking up there, I just felt whole, like I belonged. Like one day I too would shine my most brilliant. Sitting there also made me think about sitting through services at my little country church back home. About that never-changing congregation of the same sixty-seven people and everyone has known you since before you were born. Now, out here in the real world, everything just seemed more vivid than when I used to sit in that little pew. That pew that was now so, so far away from where I was. I feared I had somehow left God behind there, too. I feared he was somehow just sitting there, saving my seat on the fifth pew from the front row, just waiting on me to come back. I left so quickly, I worried that he may not have noticed I was gone. And, now, I’m just too far away to find. So he’s just sitting there, patiently waiting on me to come back. I closed my eyes and prayed a moment. I hoped more than anything that he could still hear me." -an excerpt from my novella, A Sea of Fallen Leaves.

<a href="http://www.soundthesirens.com">SoundTheSirens.com</a>
trentm32
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby Random Name » 1/16/2005, 9:37 pm

Of course he's in love with Cassie. You could tell that the first page! I want Cassie to be all "omg I never knew it but I loved you too" and for him to be all "yeah...I loved you but I can't be with you now, cause I'll all worldly and wise" :OOOO!!!!

Yeah, I'm going to stop making stupid predictions now! :lol:

But why no guilt? He's a country bumpkin! he hasn't learned to shrug off emotions yet. This should be quite the angst-fest for him right now.

In conclusion, write more!!!
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby Rusty » 1/16/2005, 9:38 pm

That Jules always using the poor guy. Also what ever happened with this braclet dealie he got, that makes it so he has good luck with girls or something, does that ever work out with him?

Queens Of The Stone Age-Someone's In The Wolf

Once you're lost in twillights's blue
You don't find your way, the way finds you...

Tempt the fates, beware the smile
It hides all the teeth, my dear,
What's behind them...

So glad you could stay
Forever

He steps between the trees, a crooked man
There's blood on the blade
Don't take his hand

You warm by the firelight, in twilight's blue
Shadows creep & dance the walls
He's creeping too..

So glad you could stay
Forever

Image <----------------- click and listen!
Rusty
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby trentm32 » 1/16/2005, 9:55 pm

Rusty wrote:That Jules always using the poor guy. Also what ever happened with this braclet dealie he got, that makes it so he has good luck with girls or something, does that ever work out with him?

it never really does work too well. It's kind of like a metaphor that there really is no such thing as 'luck'; only consequence, and the decisions we make. kind of. Plus it does, kinda work; he's got the girl right now, and she does, eventually really fall for him. Hmm... if only the world worked out :)
"When looking up there, I just felt whole, like I belonged. Like one day I too would shine my most brilliant. Sitting there also made me think about sitting through services at my little country church back home. About that never-changing congregation of the same sixty-seven people and everyone has known you since before you were born. Now, out here in the real world, everything just seemed more vivid than when I used to sit in that little pew. That pew that was now so, so far away from where I was. I feared I had somehow left God behind there, too. I feared he was somehow just sitting there, saving my seat on the fifth pew from the front row, just waiting on me to come back. I left so quickly, I worried that he may not have noticed I was gone. And, now, I’m just too far away to find. So he’s just sitting there, patiently waiting on me to come back. I closed my eyes and prayed a moment. I hoped more than anything that he could still hear me." -an excerpt from my novella, A Sea of Fallen Leaves.

trentm32

Postby Rusty » 1/16/2005, 9:56 pm

You're deep dude. I like it.

What's behind them...

So glad you could stay
Forever

Don't take his hand

He's creeping too..

So glad you could stay
Forever

Rusty

Postby trentm32 » 1/16/2005, 10:58 pm

thank ya.

trentm32

Postby trentm32 » 1/31/2005, 9:04 pm

...FALLEN LEAVES... >>>Next Chunk>>>

I rewrote/added to some parts in these first few paragraphs, but the last half of this post is new stuff... DIG...

“You didn’t come home… I started to get worried.” She happily said, seemingly content in finding me. “Yeah, sorry, I just went for a walk.” “I cooked dinner… you hungry?” I finally cracked a smile. “Starving.” I hopped up, put my arm around her, and started walking back toward Wanda’s, making small talk about the weather and such. Over dinner, I could tell Jules had that look like she was thinking about something. She seemed a little nervous, but I wasn’t sure how to bring up whatever might be on her mind. It didn’t take much longer until I knew. “Do you want to move in. Together. Just me… and you?” I almost choked on my beef stew. The thought had crossed my mind, I mean; I couldn’t live here on Wanda’s couch forever. But I hadn’t thought it would come up so soon. She pulled out a copy of the local classifieds, and showed me a few places she had circled earlier.

Upon seeing the unhide ably wide-eyed expression on my face, Jules finally said, “Don’t think I’m crazy, I just don’t think that my aunt doesn’t really want us around; and if it’s love, it’ll work.” She was looking doe eyed, right into my hazel eyes. Almost staring through me. It was as if she were staring into my soul. I could truly feel the sincerity in what she was saying—she really meant it. This was a lot more, a lot faster than I ever thought. But all I could do was smile, nod, and whisper “What the Hell, let’s do it.”

Upon thumbing through the places she had marked in the paper, I came across one she had double circled. It was a little place in the center of town; I recalled the name from seeing it in passing so often. Waterbrook Apartments. “You want to check it out tomorrow?” she cheerily asked. I racked my brain for a moment. “What’s tomorrow?” in all the craziness of the last few hours I’d lost touch with unimportant things like days of the week. “Saturday, I think,” she replied. “Cool, I’m in.” Once dinner was finished, we just sat down on the couch, watching TV. She leaned her head on my shoulder, and fell asleep. The sweet scent of fresh flowers filled my head, as her hair slowly fell across my face.

Once Jules had fallen asleep, my mind began drifting, as it often does. ‘Do I love her?’ I kept asking myself. I like spending time with her; I look forward to seeing her—is that all love is? Is that all there is to this grandiose, general term? I wish I could talk to Cassie—she’d know what to do. She knows me better than I know myself; surely she could tell me what I should do. Hell, with all that’s happened I doubt she would even believe me. God, I wish she had a phone. I leaned my head over, kissed Jules on the forehead, and let myself drift off to sleep.

Morning came in the form of bright sunlight streaming in through the open window shades. It didn’t even faze Jules; it never did. I strained my eyes to find the clock in the kitchen. 9:05 AM. “Wake up… sweetie.” The words sounded strange coming through my lips. Like it wasn’t my voice, but the voice of someone else. Like it wasn’t my tongue rolling that ‘S’ out. It just felt like I was someone else. She let out an exaggerated yawn, and pulled herself close to me as she whispered “Good morning.” I lowered my eyes down to her bright blue gaze. God she had beautiful eyes. “Ready to go house shopping?” she smiled. “Absolutely,” I happily chimed.

We took our time getting ready. Once I got out of the shower, I put on my little silver crucifix necklace I’d had since I was a kid. I remember Cass had gotten it for me freshman year of high school. She had seen it in a little jewelry store, and saved up and got it for me for my birthday. A tiny small slipped through my lips. After that, I picked up my bracelet. The bracelet I had gotten in Chinatown, back when I was with Josh and the guys. I fingered it around in my hands for a few moments before I put it on. God, that felt like such a long time ago. Almost like a different life—it’s amazing how quickly things change.

We made it out of the house by about half an hour ‘till noon. It was a fantastic day out, she we just walked the little ways into town; our arms hooked around each others—skipping and just acting silly. It felt good to just act silly for a while. Things had been so heavy; so real, for so long that it just felt good to put away the grand thoughts and heavy minds, and just have fun for a little while. We took our time walking, and didn’t make it to the apartment complex until about fifteen minutes after noon. The building was a tall, gothic style build. A little run-down, but not too bad. Once we made it to the front of the building I just lifted my eyes to the top, and let the sunlight stream down upon the old brick. The dull paint on the fire escapes running around the side of the buildings shined like new when the light hit them just right.

trentm32

Postby trentm32 » 2/1/2005, 3:43 pm

I'm gonna try to get another page or two tonite, if I have time.

trentm32

Postby Random Name » 2/1/2005, 5:35 pm

eww bling. :P
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Take apart your head

Random Name

Postby trentm32 » 2/8/2005, 5:52 pm

...FALLEN LEAVES... >>Next Chunk>>

I looked over to Jules. Just as my head turned, the sunlight hit the sparkling blue in her eyes. They sparkled like tiny blue diamonds. “I’ll race you!” she jokingly said, as she sat off jogging toward the door. I chased after her, wrapping my arms around her waist when I caught up. Once inside, I spotted a little paper sign, printed from a computer: “Office.” We walked to the door, and I knocked lightly to gain the attention of the older gentleman I could see through the smoky glass door sitting at the desk, shuffling a handful of papers. At my knock he looked up, and gave me a sincere smile through the glass door. “Come in, come in.” Jules and I meekly slipped through the door.

“What can I help you with?” he cheerily asked. “We’re looking for an apartment,” I maturely replied—trying my best to act like I had the slightest clue as to how all of this real-world stuff was done. “We have a couple of openings; a one bedroom and a two.” “Can we see the one?” Jules chimed, gripping my arm tightly between her sweet, delicate hands. The old man lifted to his feet; “Right this way, miss,” he gave me a polite smile as he walked past me to lead the way. We went up the stairs to the second floor, to a tiny apartment in the middle of the building. The view from the window was of nothing more than another building; but that didn’t matter. The place was small but airy—similar to a loft, but somehow not. We walked around the empty little abode. It had old, hardwood floors, a small kitchen, and a bedroom just big enough for a full-size and dresser. “We’ll take it!” Jules exclaimed.

I threw her a shocked glance. “It’s alright; Aunt Wanda gave me some money to get us on our feet.” Ohh…” was all I could say. We walked back to the office, and once we sat down the old man took on a serious tone. “Now guys, y’all seem like good kids. Newlyweds?” Yes, sir,” Jules quickly shot back. “High-school sweethearts,” I slowly added. “Well, good for y’all. Anyways, that apartment’s been empty for a while now, and I just hate to leave the thing sitting there, empty. That’s why I’m gonna let you guys take this deal a month at a time—no lease.” I solemnly nodded. “Thank you, sir; we really appreciate it.” He just nodded back to me. “All I need from you guys in this and next months rent, and a hundred and fifty dollar security deposit.” Jules pulled open a little wallet from her purse. “Got it.” She covered the deposit and rent with the money Wanda had given her. We singed the papers, and shook hands with the old man. As he handed Jules the keys, he leaned over and shook my hand. “You can move in immediately, have a good day, kids.” I had a house. We had a house. I was renting a house of my own, living with a beautiful girl. Young and in love—in that moment I was invincible.

…everyone here's just trying,
and looking now I finally see
that that the best that I can do,
is the best I'll ever be…

As we walked out, I looked to the face of my old watch. “My gosh, it’s only two ‘o clock.” “Want to move in?” She excitingly asked. “Right now?” “Yeah! The man said we could move in immediately,” she cheerily replied, dangling two copies of the front door key in the air. She took one off, and put it in her pocket; then handed me the other one. She grabbed my arm, “Come on; let’s go get our stuff!” “Do we even have any stuff?” I jokingly asked, as I chased after her.

trentm32

Postby Rusty » 2/8/2005, 6:47 pm

Nice dude. I like it.

What's behind them...

So glad you could stay
Forever

Don't take his hand

He's creeping too..

So glad you could stay
Forever

Rusty

Postby trentm32 » 2/9/2005, 12:46 pm

Random Name wrote:Thats all I picked up from a beta standpoint. :P I really like whats happening. At first I thought that this was a bit like "On the Road" so I thought the reference was really cute. But the more and more I read the more I realized that it reminds me a lot of "The Catcher in the Rye". If you haven't read it, you should.

I'm about 40 pages into "Catcher in the Rye" :drool:

I dig.

trentm32

Postby trentm32 » 3/9/2005, 5:52 pm

...FALLEN LEAVES... >>Next Chunk>>

We skipped all the way back to Wanda’s apartment, and once we got there we grabbed some old suitcases from the closet and loaded up the few things we had accumulated. I had my duffel bag I’d brought with me from home, as well as a small luggage back with whatever new clothes and things I had picked up on the way. It was kind of strange looking at those two bags. One filled with everything I’d been, everything I could ever remember being. The other stuffed with new things. New revelations, new ideas; new clothes. Which bag was really me? Everything I’d ever been, or all the things I was becoming? I suppose I must fall somewhere in-between the two. Like a huge suitcase with both bags stuffed inside.

Jules had about twice as much luggage as I had. “How are we going to get all this stuff over there?” I asked. “Easy—we’ll take Aunt Wanda’s car. She’s out of town for a few days, and she left me the keys,” Jules replied, jangling the large, hoop key ring in the air. We stumbled down the stairs with all our bags, and made our way out toward the parking area. With all our things piled into the trunk and backseat of Wanda’s old car, we pulled out to drive, for the first time, to our very own home. It only took a few minutes to get there by car, and within a matter of moments we were parked at the front of the building. I climbed out of the low passenger seat, and felt the warm sunlight bathe me over as I shut the door. I pulled out my trooper sunglasses and put them on, to keep the burning light out of my eyes.

We both loaded our shoulders up as heavy as they could hold, and made our way upstairs to our apartment. With everything we owned moved in, it barely filled a corner of the living room. After a few minutes we took our things out of Wanda’s luggage bags, and carried the bags back to her house. While we were there we picked up some old blankets and pillows she’d had stacked in a hall closet. “I don’t think she’ll miss these,” Jules chimed, as she pulled them down off of the shelf. As she was digging through the closet, she found an old black and white TV in its bottom. “Yay!” she yelped. “Alright!—we’re living in the nineteen fifties,” I jokingly added. With the beat-up little TV under my arm, and Jules’ arms filled with blankets, we made our way back toward the car.

While I fiddled with the bunny ear antenna (actually a bent clothes hanger) on the old black and white television, Jules spread a few layers of blankets out in the floor of the bedroom, to pad the hardness of the wood. As a signal began to break through the static, I could see the sunlight bouncing from the building across from ours begin to fade. “We did a lot today,” Jules said, as she walked up and put her hand on my shoulder.

trentm32

Postby Random Name » 3/9/2005, 7:01 pm

Put her hand on his shoulder....

I think I'm going to hyperventilate. Then what?! Do they make-out? Does he get all weirded out by the commitment?! what?
Holy shit.

Okay. So I re-read some of the last parts here, and this is what I think.

-I really liked the suitcase thing. The fact that he has collected a new life and having them separated like that is really interesting.

-Jules seems...really sing-songy. If that makes sense. She is always saying happy things, and she seems really bubbly. I don't know. That’s just not the impression I remember getting from her on the bus. Right now she just seems kind of floaty. Is that intentional? What I see right now is that she has the assumption that relationships make the world a better place, and now that she roped in Alex she's set for life, without thinking of anything in reality and what she is doing with her life as a whole.

-I also still don't get their relationship. It seems like something that Alex would dwell on and over-analyze and that sort of thing. I would have thought that Alex would have initially agreed to become more then friends, but then sort of questioned whether he had feelings for her. Trying to avoid the emo, self-angst thing he probably pushed them aside but I think subconsciously he knows he loves Cassie and so it would keep coming up. This whole moving in thing really threw me for a curve. Honestly, I predicted he would go house shopping with her, and they wouldn't make a decision and the next day he would either hit the road again or suggest doing so with her. Part of the whole journey he took was about independence and being free from the problems he faced back at home where he was tied to his family. This looks to me like he's falling back into bad habits. He in spontaneously moving in with a girl that relatively has only known for a short period of time? I would think there would still be some trust issues and her clingy-ness would have scared him off.

-Aside from the concept of moving in, their move seemed kind of rushed. I hate saying that because I know that you don't have much time to write this recently and all that jazz, but within 24hours they found an apartment and moved in. I can believe that well enough, but that would definitely be one loooonnnnggggg day. I would go back to the scene where he is packing his things and perhaps add some details as to the things he brings with him. Like, his notebook, which bag did that go in? Or clothing - you could add some great symbolism in there regarding what he has worn over this period of evolution. Or when they arrive in their empty apartment with their meager belongings. It definitely has potential to be a moment of some sort. Like if he looked at the empty space and thought of what is supposed to make up a life, a home and what he has to do to fill the unfamiliar void he now temporally owns. I think that would really help in character development and partially with the flow of the plot.
Oh! Speaking of which, Aunt Wanda is sort of a shadow, isn't she? We rarely see her and she is the supplier of all things needed. I am sort of fascinated with her. The fact that she gave money to Jules seems odd. Mayhap she tried to bribe her into moving out. :P Heh.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Take apart your head

Random Name

Postby Random Name » 3/9/2005, 7:02 pm

...wow that was a long post. Image
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Take apart your head

Random Name

Postby reza » 3/9/2005, 7:08 pm

im too lazy to read it..
carry on
Image]
reza

Postby trentm32 » 3/11/2005, 6:06 pm

Random Name wrote:Put her hand on his shoulder....

I think I'm going to hyperventilate. Then what?! Do they make-out? Does he get all weirded out by the commitment?! what?
Holy shit.

Okay. So I re-read some of the last parts here, and this is what I think.

-I really liked the suitcase thing. The fact that he has collected a new life and having them separated like that is really interesting.

-Jules seems...really sing-songy. If that makes sense. She is always saying happy things, and she seems really bubbly. I don't know. That’s just not the impression I remember getting from her on the bus. Right now she just seems kind of floaty. Is that intentional? What I see right now is that she has the assumption that relationships make the world a better place, and now that she roped in Alex she's set for life, without thinking of anything in reality and what she is doing with her life as a whole.

-I also still don't get their relationship. It seems like something that Alex would dwell on and over-analyze and that sort of thing. I would have thought that Alex would have initially agreed to become more then friends, but then sort of questioned whether he had feelings for her. Trying to avoid the emo, self-angst thing he probably pushed them aside but I think subconsciously he knows he loves Cassie and so it would keep coming up. This whole moving in thing really threw me for a curve. Honestly, I predicted he would go house shopping with her, and they wouldn't make a decision and the next day he would either hit the road again or suggest doing so with her. Part of the whole journey he took was about independence and being free from the problems he faced back at home where he was tied to his family. This looks to me like he's falling back into bad habits. He in spontaneously moving in with a girl that relatively has only known for a short period of time? I would think there would still be some trust issues and her clingy-ness would have scared him off.

-Aside from the concept of moving in, their move seemed kind of rushed. I hate saying that because I know that you don't have much time to write this recently and all that jazz, but within 24hours they found an apartment and moved in. I can believe that well enough, but that would definitely be one loooonnnnggggg day. I would go back to the scene where he is packing his things and perhaps add some details as to the things he brings with him. Like, his notebook, which bag did that go in? Or clothing - you could add some great symbolism in there regarding what he has worn over this period of evolution. Or when they arrive in their empty apartment with their meager belongings. It definitely has potential to be a moment of some sort. Like if he looked at the empty space and thought of what is supposed to make up a life, a home and what he has to do to fill the unfamiliar void he now temporally owns. I think that would really help in character development and partially with the flow of the plot.
Oh! Speaking of which, Aunt Wanda is sort of a shadow, isn't she? We rarely see her and she is the supplier of all things needed. I am sort of fascinated with her. The fact that she gave money to Jules seems odd. Mayhap she tried to bribe her into moving out. :P Heh.

SPOILER ALERT...

Jules stole th emoney from aunt Wanda, and it's all about to come to ahead soon. Plus the moving in thing isn't gonna work, at all- big, unexpected plot twists are coming soon. I just wanted to set all this up kind of as a fake out, of sorts.

Brilliant idea about expanding the moving scene- I think i'll go back to that later tonite.

Also, pretty soon he's gonna get hooked back up with Josh, and go on a mini-'tour' with him around the New England, easter U.S. (theres more to it than that, but that's the Reader's Digest)...

trentm32

Postby trentm32 » 3/11/2005, 11:09 pm

Random Name wrote:...wow that was a long post. Image

Sarah-- you're a genuis. I got to thinking about all the things you said, and some of it actually clicked in my head to make some things make more sense. I pushed the move-in to a day later, and I'm having some good character development stuff going down the night before they move in.

SPOILERS...

You see, up to this point, Jules has been playing Alex, but after that night she'll actually fall for him. Whilst they're swapping stories from their past, Alex tells the tale of when he left, and the sweetness of his 'leaving the watch for his bf Cassie' story breaks Jules, and she falls for him. This prompts her to, the next night, come clean about stealing the money from Wanda for the apt, that she was playing him at the beginning, but that she ACTUALLY loves him now. All this is too much for Alex to take. Finding out that his Cassie story was what prompted her falling for him, it sets him into thinking about Cass. He needs to think, and doesn't feel like he can trust Jules (I can't really blame him) so he takes off with Josh to help him out while he plays some bars up and down the northeast.

/SPOILERS

Also, on a personal note, I got a new job, so I should have more time to write now! Yay! So maybe this thing'll get some work done on it quicker than I'd thought!

Welp, back to to the grindstone... I'll post what I get finished tonite, tonite...

trentm32

Postby trentm32 » 3/12/2005, 12:02 am

It's pushing midnight here, and I need to get some sleep. I've only gotten as far as th rewrites go, so check it...

FALLEN LEAVES// NEXT CHUNK// RE-WRITTEN-ish//

“What can I help you with?” he cheerily asked. “We’re looking for an apartment,” I maturely replied—trying my best to act like I had the slightest clue as to how all of this real-world stuff was done. “We have a couple of openings; a one bedroom and a two.” “Can we see the one?” Jules chimed, gripping my arm tightly between her sweet, delicate hands. The old man lifted to his feet; “Right this way, miss,” he gave me a polite smile as he walked past me to lead the way.

We went up the stairs to the second floor, to a tiny apartment in the middle of the building. It had beaten down hardwood floors, and the walls were a sterile type of beige. The view from the small window in the living room was of nothing more than the adjoining building; but that didn’t matter. The place was small but airy—similar to a loft, but somehow not. The kitchen and living room ran together like one awkward room; separated by nothing more than the hardwood floor of the living space slowly fading into teal tile. We walked around the empty little abode for what seemed like forever. It all seemed to be in slow-motion. Like I was watching a movie, like there was an up-beat, montage soundtrack playing in the background for the duration. The single, small bedroom in the place was barely large enough to fit a full-size bed and dresser. “We’ll take it!” Jules exclaimed.

I threw her a shocked glance. “It’s alright; Aunt Wanda gave me some money to get us on our feet.” “Ohh…” was all I could say. Of all the things I expected in that day, the most I ever imagined was the slim possibility that we may find a place. The thought of actually getting one had never really hit me. As we walked back to the office, I was in such a daze that I didn’t come back to reality until we were seated in that small office, and the elderly landlord adopted a serious tone to gain my attention. “Now, y’all seem like good kids. Newlyweds?” “Yes, sir,” Jules quickly shot back. “High-school sweethearts,” I slowly added. “Well, good for y’all. Anyways, that apartment’s been empty for a while now, and I just hate to leave the thing sitting there, empty. That’s why I’m gonna let you guys take this deal a month at a time—no lease.” I solemnly nodded. “Thank you, sir; we really appreciate it.” He just nodded back to me. “All I need from you guys in this and next months rent, and a hundred and fifty dollar security deposit.” Jules pulled open a little wallet from her purse. “Got it.” She covered the deposit and rent with the money Wanda had given her. We signed the papers, and shook hands with the old man. As he handed Jules the keys, he leaned over and shook my hand. “You can move in tomorrow, have a good day, kids.” I had a house. We had a house. I was renting a house of my own, living with a beautiful girl. Young and in love—in that moment I was invincible.

…everyone here's just trying,
and looking now I finally see
that that the best that I can do,
is the best I'll ever be…

As we walked out, I looked to the face of my old watch. “My God, it’s only two ‘o clock.” “Let’s go pack!” Jules exclaimed. “Right now?” I jokingly asked. “Of course, right now! I say we arrive in the morning at the crack of dawn; no later than eight…” she cheerily rambled on like that for a few more minutes, happily dangling two copies of the front door key in the air. She took one off, and put it in her pocket; then handed me the other copy. She grabbed my arm, “Come on; let’s go get our stuff together!” “Do we even have any stuff?” I chimed, as I chased after her.

We skipped all the way back to Wanda’s apartment, and once we got there we grabbed some old suitcases from the closet and loaded up the few things we had accumulated. I had my duffel bag I’d brought with me from home, as well as a small luggage back with whatever new clothes and things I had picked up on the way. It was kind of strange looking at those two bags. My old duffel, the one I’d gotten for my fifteenth birthday (it seemed like a million lifetimes ago, now) was filled with my old toothbrush, half a stick of deodorant; things like that. Things of necessity, the things you need no matter what. The things that are always true. It also housed my old discman, some CDs I’d had since last summer: the things that once made me who I was. Out of reflex, I rubbed my fingers across the small necklace I’d been wearing for years.

One bag filled with everything I’d been, everything I could ever remember being. The other stuffed to the brim with new things. New revelations, new ideas; new clothes. A book of poetry I’d picked up along the way, keepsakes from New York. A beaten journal filled with all the things I’d figured out since I left home. I put it in the bag with the new things—it seemed to be the only thing worthy of making the transition. Which bag was really me? Everything I’d ever been, or all the things I was becoming? I suppose I must fall somewhere in-between the two. Like a huge suitcase with both bags stuffed inside.

Jules had about twice as much luggage as I had. We stacked our things together, side-by-side, at the door. Everything sat there on edge, just waiting for whatever would come next. I clapped my hands together as a sign of completion. “Hungry?” she cheerily asked me? I just smiled. “Me? I’m famished.” The day was still shining bright, so we decided to walk to the diner a few blocks down. Once there, our conversation turned to back and forth storytelling, and somehow drifted to the details of my leave from my old home. My leave from my old life. “…it broke my heart to tell Cassie I was leaving, you know? Did you ever have a friend like that, Jules? Someone you trusted entirely, knew everything about them. Absolutely everything. Anyways, her birthday was coming up a few days after I took off. I’d already gotten her a present, this really pretty watch. She was always a meticulous person, you know, and we always joked about how she needed a good watch so she could keep up with everything; so she could know when everything was going down. Anyways, when I was leaving for the bus station, I snuck back into her room and left her this watch on her bed. I still felt terrible, though. I just…I just left her. It absolutely killed me getting out of that car and onto that bus…”

I could feel a tear beginning to form behind my eye. “And, when I got out, she asked me a question. ‘Alex, what is it you actually think you’re going to find out there?’” I tried to jokingly sigh. “I still haven’t figured that one quite out, yet.” When I looked up to meet Jules eyes, the shining blue seemed to cut straight through me. They didn’t even seem to notice the small tear creeping down my cheek. It was as if she were seeing me for the first time. As if all the other looks, all the other times she’d ever smiled at me were a precursor to this moment. This real, true smile. “You found me,” she meekly added, as she held my eyes for as long as I could possibly keep them open before I had to blink. All I could do was smile. We stayed there at that restaurant talking for hours. We stayed there until the darkness, and the doors, closed in around us.

The next morning, I woke up to Jules leaning over me. “I love you,” was her greeting to my awakening; that and a sweet little kiss on the nose. I beamed. That’s a great way to wake up. I bounced off the couch, and caught her on the lips, “Ditto.” Once we were dressed and ready to go, I asked “How are we going to get all this stuff over there?” “Easy—we’ll take Aunt Wanda’s car. She’s out of town for a few days, and she left me the keys,” Jules replied, jangling the large, hoop key ring in the air. As we walked out of the building, I felt this strange since of longing. Wanda’s house had almost become a home to me. I was actually beginning to feel comfortable there.

We stumbled down the stairs with all our bags, and made our way out toward the parking area. With all our things piled into the trunk and backseat of Wanda’s old car, we pulled out to drive, for the first time, to our very own home. It only took a few minutes to get there by car, and within a matter of moments we were parked at the front of the building. We sat there for a long while, just taking in the scene. The sun seemed to be shining even brighter that day than it had the preceding one. The rays scorched the old brick housing our new home. I finally climbed out of the low passenger seat, and felt the warm sunlight bathe me over as I shut the door. I pulled out my trooper sunglasses and put them on, to keep the burning light from my eyes.

We both loaded our shoulders up as heavy as they could hold, and made our way upstairs to our apartment. It only took one short trip, and after a few minutes we were in. We stacked our things neatly in the corner of the living room, and that was it. We were in. As I stood there looking at this empty space, I began to wonder how we would ever fill it. How could we ever fill all of this emptiness, all of this space? After a few minutes we carried Wanda’s bags back to her house. While we were there, Jules picked up some old blankets and pillows that had been stacked in the hall closet. “I don’t think she’ll miss these,” Jules chimed, as she pulled them down off of the shelf. As she was digging through the closet, she found an old black and white TV in its bottom. “Yay!” she yelped. “Alright!—we’re living in the nineteen fifties,” I jokingly added. With the beat-up little TV under my arm, and Jules’ arms filled with blankets, we made our way back toward the car.

Once we dropped the blankets and TV off at the house, at our house, we drove back to Wanda’s apartment building to drop her car back off. We took our time walking back to our place. Once we walked out of Wanda’s building, I started counting the steps to our house. When I got to a hundred and thirty-two, I looked up to the sky and spotted a single white wisp of cloud. As I watched it drift slowly across the ocean of blue, I lost count. We arrived at the door to our building just as I lost the fading cloud to the sun.

While I fiddled with the bunny ear antenna (actually a bent clothes hanger) on the old black and white television, Jules spread a few layers of blankets out in the floor of the bedroom, to pad the hardness of the wood. As a signal began to break through the static, I could see the sunlight bouncing from the building across from ours begin to fade. “We did a lot today,” Jules said, as she walked up and put her hand on my shoulder.

trentm32

Postby trentm32 » 3/14/2005, 6:07 pm

had a solid chunk of time, got a pretty good bit done. I'm loving all this new stuff. Let me know what y'all think...

FALLEN LEAVES... >NEXT CHUNK>

I turned to face her. “Yeah, I suppose we did,” is all I could add. She just stared into my eyes for a few moments. I could feel the sweet burn of the glowing blue pierce my mind, pierce my soul. “I love you,” she finally said. I just smiled. “I love you, too.” “No,” she quickly shot back, “I really do love you. Alex, I need to tell you some things. All I ask is that you’ll sit right here,” she pointed to a spot in the center of the blankets, “and not say anything until I’m done. Will you do that? Will you do that, for me?” I nodded, and sat down on the floor with a perplexed look spread across my face.

She began to open her mouth to speak, but stopped abruptly before any words escaped. I could see by the way her lips were shaking that she was trying to find the best way to say whatever it was she was trying to say. “What is it, Jules?” is all I could add to the empty monologue. “I lied,” she finally began. “I lied about a lot of things. Aunt Wanda didn’t give me that money… I took it. She’s out of town visiting her sister for a week and a half, and I knew she kept her money in the old coffee can in the back of the kitchen cabinet. So… I took some. Well, I took all of it.” She opened her purse all the way, revealing over two thousand dollars, in cash, folded neatly in her little, pink wallet. “Ohh my God…” I started. “Wait,” she interrupted, “there’s more.”

“I also lied about…you. About us. When I first told you that I loved you…I didn’t. At least, not then. Even before you got here, Aunt Wanda had been threatening to throw me out. Then, when you showed up in town, I felt so bad about what I’d done that I couldn’t just leave you there… We got into it right before she left… and she told me that by the time she got back, I had to be out—“

“And I was the only viable option to get out of Wanda’s house quick.” Jules lowered her head; her blue eyes fell to the ground, hidden behind her flowing blonde hair. “I’m sorry…” I heard her murmur between now slipping tears, a slight crack in her voice. “…I love you now.” I sighed one of those confused, semi-laugh, defeated sighs that tend to slip out when you’re not quite sure how to react to what you’ve just heard. I finally spoke. “What?”

“I just wanted to be honest with you, Alex. It was killing me keeping all this… stuff from you, and I just wanted to be done with it. Done with all the secrets, done with all the lies.” She stopped talking for a few moments, trying to steady her voice between the tears. By now I couldn’t tell if this was even real, or just another game. I was never good at playing these types of games.

She finally regained composure enough to go on. “When we first got together… I was lying. I didn’t love you. I liked you, but I didn’t love you. But, I don’t know—I think I do now.” I just looked at her, not sure what to say. Not even sure what to think. I finally spoke. I spoke low, determined, trying desperately to sound like I had dealt with situations like this a thousand times before. “How am I supposed to ever trust you now? You’re a liar, you’re a thief…” That was as much as I could say without my voice going erratic. Jumping pitches from loud to quiet; without talking so fast that I wouldn’t even understand myself. I closed my eyes, and found my concentration so I could speak again. “What changed? What made you...fall.”

“I did. You did.” She started. “Last night, when you were telling me that story about that girl you used to know, Katie—” “Cassie,” I interrupted. “Right. Her. I just got to thinking that I’ve never had that before. I’ve never been that close to someone, I’ve never let someone get that close to me. It was in that moment that I realized I wanted that… and that I wanted it with you. And, I knew that we could never even start to build something like that if I were holding all this back. So… that’s why I told you. Everything.” She breathed in a deep breath, one of those exaggerated sighs of relief. “Do… do you still love me?” she finally asked.

I just sat there, silent. After what seemed like forever, I finally spoke. “I…I need some time.” I started to get up, but she grabbed my hand, tears began flowing down her cheeks, again. The tears in her eyes only acted to make them that much more enchanting. Intensifying the already deep shade of blue sitting so broken now on her beautiful face. I took a step toward the door, with her still holding onto me. “Wait!” she shouted. “Please, don’t go... I’m just a girl. That fell for a boy—” I stopped her before she could go on. “No!” I shouted. That whole ‘keeping control of what I was saying’ thing had pretty much flown out the window by this time. “You’re a hell of a lot more than that. You’re manipulative. You’re confused. You don’t have a clue what you want…” “I’m a girl!” she interrupted. At this we both started laughing. But, it only took a few moments for silence to creep back in-between us. Too impassioned to be awkward, we just stared into each others eyes. “You used me.” I finally said. “I apologized,” she sincerely added. As if that and that alone could magically make everything completely alright.

“Just let me go,” I finally said. Her hand slipped out from between my fingers as I made another step toward the door. “You’ll be back, won’t you?” she asked. I could sense the hopeless tinge of hope in her voice as she uttered the words. All I could do was look her in the eyes, and try to smile. My God, she had such beautiful eyes. As I shut the door behind me I could still hear her crying in the apartment. In our apartment. The thought ‘What have I gotten myself into?’ abruptly shot through my head. I made it to the end of the hall before a tear finally slipped down my cheek. I wanted to turn around, and go back in there. I wanted to hold her in my arms, and tell her it was all alright. But it wasn’t. I just couldn’t’ let myself go back in there. Ever since we first met she had lied to me. I was afraid that if I went back into that room, it wouldn’t take long until we were at this point again. And, my God, I didn’t think I could stand to do this, again. By the time I was finally out of the building I realized that I had absolutely no idea what I was doing.

It was a warm night, and I just started walking. The sky was unnaturally clear that night. I could see every star so clear. Every single one just looked so vibrant. Once I came across the tiny town park, now empty of playing children and second date couples, I just lay down in the grass and pretended that I was one with the Earth. That by just lying there I was nothing and everything, all at once. I tried to imagine all the problems in the world, I tried everything I could do to make the things on my mind seem more miniscule, less tragic and momentous than I was desperately fearing they were. I lay there with my eyes closed until, finally, and ant bit me square on the neck. I jerked and slapped at the spot, and sat up as a reflex. I took it as a sign to get up, so I lifted to my feet and just started walking again. When I came to the little town post office, I noticed the postmaster was still inside. I knocked on the glass. “Working late?” I asked, making idle conversation out of habit to distract myself from what was on my mind. “Yeah; you need in?” he politely offered. I nodded. “Yes sir, I was gonna check my box.” “No problem.”

He unlocked the thin glass door to give me entry. I opened up my small mailbox door to find it empty. I just stared at its desolate, shiny metallic walls. Checking every corner to make sure that it was, without a shadow of a doubt, empty. After a few seconds of nothing, I finally gave up. I turned toward the postman, and offered a distracted “Thanks,” as I made my way back out the door. He nodded politely and locked up behind me.

I spotted the thin glow of the backlight from the downtown café’s sign in the distance, and decided to make my way over there for a cup of coffee. It’s amazing how time seems to slow down when something big happens to you. In my head, it felt like a handful of eternities had past since I walked out that door; but it had barely been an hour or so. In that time I had talked myself into, and out of, going back to the apartment at least a hundred times. More than anything else, though, I just wanted to talk to Cassie. I knew that, halfway across the country, she couldn’t offer much help; and as stubborn as I am, I probably wouldn’t take to heart a word of her advice—but I just wanted to hear her voice. To remind me who I was. To remind me who I am.

trentm32

PreviousNext