ClumsyMonkey.net

ed

Show off your art.
A pop-up book of flowers from grade 4 are driving her insane...

Postby Random Name » 3/14/2005, 6:48 pm

Damn.

You are such a talented writer. Seriously. I would definately pay money to read this! :P

I really love the re-writes. And I really love how Jules has developed into a character. A lot of times when people start writing stories, they forget that character flaws is part of what builds a character. And what I really like about the whole thing is that the person who has been lying and stealing and being all crazy isn't the main character. We are on the other side of that whole situation and its a very fasicinating read.

As for the last little bit there, the fact that he is going back to the coffee shop reminds me of back when he was going from town to town just how much coffee he drank! Back then it was like, he didn't have a house or a home so he made a cup of coffee his home. And the fact that he will never quit an old habit is good. What he wants now is comfort and before I read that he went to the park I immediately thought he would be at a coffee house the next.

Oh, and the return of Josh is definately cool.
He needs some male-bonding. :D haha
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby Random Name » 3/14/2005, 7:24 pm

Remind me not to go back and read the spoilers you posted ever again1!!!

To quote Trent...

!HUGE SPOILER COMING UP!

Once he realizes he's still in love with Cass, and none of it works out, he flings the bracelet into the river in a fit of anger and sadness. The bracelet is kind of symbolic of his experiences, the 'new' person he's trying to be. And, in throwing it away, he realizes he didn't find happiness in his travels, and experiences; that he has to find it within himself. Kind of. That's the Reader's Digest metaphor, anyways; it's actually a bit deeper in detail, but that's the gist...

!CLOSE MASSIVE SPOILER!

-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Take apart your head

Random Name

Postby trentm32 » 3/14/2005, 8:56 pm

Sarah, thanks uber-muchly for the feedback! You have absolutely no idea how much I appreciate your thoughts. You've given me ideas here and there that the piece is definitely the better for.

I too noticed the going back to coffee as a habit of comfort; I was shooting that in there subtley, glad ya picked up on it!

I was just hoping I could make it all flow, and the decisions made be coherent with the characters, etc. I'll try to get some more done tonite/tomorrow. He's fixing to run into Josh, but before he leaves he goes back and faces Jules. It's gonna be goooood stuff. :nod:

I love storytelling!
"When looking up there, I just felt whole, like I belonged. Like one day I too would shine my most brilliant. Sitting there also made me think about sitting through services at my little country church back home. About that never-changing congregation of the same sixty-seven people and everyone has known you since before you were born. Now, out here in the real world, everything just seemed more vivid than when I used to sit in that little pew. That pew that was now so, so far away from where I was. I feared I had somehow left God behind there, too. I feared he was somehow just sitting there, saving my seat on the fifth pew from the front row, just waiting on me to come back. I left so quickly, I worried that he may not have noticed I was gone. And, now, I’m just too far away to find. So he’s just sitting there, patiently waiting on me to come back. I closed my eyes and prayed a moment. I hoped more than anything that he could still hear me." -an excerpt from my novella, A Sea of Fallen Leaves.

<a href="http://www.soundthesirens.com">SoundTheSirens.com</a>
trentm32
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby Random Name » 3/15/2005, 10:04 am

:mrgreen:
Cool! I think I get into English class mode when I comment on this, but thats okay. There is honestly not a lot to criticize, your writing seems well thought out and it is incredibly captivating. (See? School has ruined me forever)

Anyways its really getting good. I like that he's looking at the problems he has with Jules as the end of the world but he really does know that this is only a bumb compared to some of the stuff he went through.

In conclusion, I want an update.

Now!
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Take apart your head

Random Name

Postby trentm32 » 3/15/2005, 11:49 am

An update you want, an update you shall have...

<Continuity > I've gone back to when Alex was with Josh, Bill, & Johnathan and added a conversation where Alex and Josh talk about Josh's mini-tour.
</Continuity >

FALLEN LEAVES NEXT CHUNK>>

With absolutely nothing else to do, I took my time walking toward the café. Once I eventually made it to the front, I stood for a few moments, preparing myself to go in. Preparing myself to look like a normal young man with nothing more on his mind than getting a cup of joe. I breathed deeply, and pushed the old glass door open. I walked in, and slouched down into a stool at the bar. The waitress glanced at me, “Coffee,” I weakly said under my breath. She nodded, and headed back to the kitchen.

“Alex?” From somewhere behind me I heard the creak of the bathroom door sliding shut, and a voice coming from that direction. I slowly turned my head to find Josh standing there. A goofy grin spread across his face, and a toque with the word “Slacker” on it wrapped around his head. I was so confused all I could say was “Hey?” It only took him a few moments to catch the bloodshot look of confusion in my eyes, and he quickly sat down beside me. “He put his hand on my shoulder. “What’s the matter, man?” I lowered my head toward the scarred plank of a bar my hands were resting on. “A lot,” was the only way I could start.

I spent the next hour sipping bad coffee, and telling Josh everything that happened since I had the leave me here. When I finally closed my narration, he just looked at me for a long while. “Whoa,” was all he could say. I just nodded, “I know.” After a while he finally spoke. “So… do you love her?” “I, I don’t know. I thought that I might.” “But you told her that you did? You told her that you loved her, right?” I blinked a few times to let what he was saying soak in. “Well…yeah, I guess I did.” “So, technically, you were doing the same thing she was? You didn’t love her—or, at least, you weren’t sure if you loved her—but you told her you did anyways, right?” Had anyone else been saying these things to me I’d have taken them as condescending or pompous, but I could tell in the way he spoke that Josh was just trying to guide me toward an obvious truth. I was just as guilty as Jules for screwing this whole thing up. With all of this finally clicking in my head, I finally looked Josh in the eyes. “Does this make me an asshole?” He smiled. “No, it makes you a guy.” I just smiled, and nodded.

It finally dawned on me that I still didn’t even know what Josh was doing here. “I’m sure you didn’t come all the way out here just to show me that I’m an idiot—so what brings you to the lovely Florence, Maine?” I jokingly asked, trying to bring a little levity into a day that had suddenly become so heavy. “Actually, no; that isn’t what brought me out here—but it is a great bonus.” We both chuckled a bit. “But, seriously, we ended our road trip early because Bill’s mom got sick, so we just headed home. Bill was supposed to go with me on my mini-tour and help me out, but with his mom sick he didn’t want to leave home. It was right about this time your postcard came in. I’m playing a show up around here in a couple of days anyways, so I thought I’d swing through here, and hope you’d be up for some fun and would come with me.”

I just stared at him for a few seconds. “Huh?” Josh started laughing. “Do you want to come with me on my tour; to help me drive, and be my tech guy?” “I don’t know anything about music equipment.” “My stuff is wicked easy, and a decade old—a kid could use it. I can give you a crash course, and you’ll be set.” I just sat there for a few moments, thinking. “Please come with me, Alex. I need your help. I don’t think I can do this thing by myself.” My eyes fell to my hands, cut and broken from doing construction work. “Okay. I’m in.” “Alright!” Josh shouted. His hand shot in the air, waiting for mine to meet it in a high five. I finally cracked a genuine smile, as I brought my hand up to meet his.

“I’m staying at the hotel just outside of town; you can crash with me there, if you don’t want to go back to your apartment.” I thought for a few moments. “Thanks, I appreciate it. I’ll go back by the apartment tomorrow and get my stuff… and say goodbye to Jules.” Josh nodded along. “Come on, my cars out front.” I paid for my coffee, and followed him outside to a four-door, black, ’94 Honda Civic. It appeared to be in pretty good shape, except that the paint was fading, and there was a dent on the driver side passenger door. “What’s that about?” I jokingly asked, as I pointed toward the dent. Josh smiled. “I think it adds character,” he replied.

As we were heading toward the hotel, I got to thinking. “So, how exactly were you planning on finding me out here? It is a small town, but still?” Josh looked over to me. “My well-laid plan was to wander around aimlessly until I ran into you.” I nodded in agreement. “Not bad, not bad. It’s scary how alike our minds work.” We both laughed. It only took a few minutes until we were at the hotel. The room was barely larger than a closet, and the single bed was about the size of a cot. I quickly jogged over to the office and got an extra blanket and pillow. There was barely enough room in the floor for me to spread out, so I just curled up, and by the time I was asleep I was only taking up a small corner of the room. I woke up to find Josh looking down on me. “Are you in the fetal position?” he jokingly asked. I then proceeded to unfold my legs and arms, “I’m comfy, man; that’s all that matters.”

Josh let me get my shower first, and while he was getting his I took the car over to the apartment to get my stuff and tell Jules goodbye. I’d been thinking all night of what I was going to say to her. What could I say? I would have to be honest with her, I surely owed her that much. As I pulled up to the building I started wishing that I’d have walked. You lose a lot of thinking time when you drive somewhere.

When I arrived, I parked the car in front of the building. It was the same spot Jules and I had parked Wanda’s car only a day before, when we were moving in. The place looked different now. The ivy creeping up the building’s side seemed to engulf it instead of accent it. The fire escapes looked like broken black twine all tied together, binding the building into itself with a million tiny knots.

I finally stepped out of the car. As I pulled my trooper sunglasses on I felt a sense of déjà vu that almost broke my heart. Before I made it to the door of the building I stopped, and reached into my pocket to be sure I still had my key. I did.

"When looking up there, I just felt whole, like I belonged. Like one day I too would shine my most brilliant. Sitting there also made me think about sitting through services at my little country church back home. About that never-changing congregation of the same sixty-seven people and everyone has known you since before you were born. Now, out here in the real world, everything just seemed more vivid than when I used to sit in that little pew. That pew that was now so, so far away from where I was. I feared I had somehow left God behind there, too. I feared he was somehow just sitting there, saving my seat on the fifth pew from the front row, just waiting on me to come back. I left so quickly, I worried that he may not have noticed I was gone. And, now, I’m just too far away to find. So he’s just sitting there, patiently waiting on me to come back. I closed my eyes and prayed a moment. I hoped more than anything that he could still hear me." -an excerpt from my novella, A Sea of Fallen Leaves.

trentm32

Postby Random Name » 3/15/2005, 12:24 pm

Yay! I had no idea that if I just said 'UPDATE NOW' you would actually update it! heh.

I really like Josh. He's tres cool. The fact that he's wearing a touque and he said 'wicked easy' makes me happy! :D

And the imagry of the building is fantastic. Good stuff man.

Oh, is there any reason that Josh comes out of the bathroom? I thought that was a little cliched and doesn't serve much purpose. Though I guess it doesn't really matter. With reguards to the story, I honestly wouldn't have remembered Josh and would have been plesently surprised when he showed up again.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Take apart your head

Random Name

Postby trentm32 » 3/31/2005, 8:59 pm

I've been doing some small body edits since I got back from New York; but I should get to writing some new stuff in the next few days...just wanted to update...

trentm32

Postby nelison » 3/31/2005, 9:27 pm

I was wondering if you had any plans to attempt to get this published at some point?

I've been wanting to write for the past few months but I can never create much more than half a page of work before I become bored with it. How have you been able to write so much and notget bored of the characters/plot?

How long is this story at the moment anyways (word count or pages)?

Sorry about the questions, I think this piece of work is awesome and its inspired me over the last while to be creative. You should be really proud of your work!
I can't wait until the day schools are over-funded and the military is forced to hold bake sales to buy planes.

"It's a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself. Makes you wonder what else you can do that you've forgotten about"
nelison
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby trentm32 » 3/31/2005, 9:51 pm

It's around 30,000-ish words right now, and pushing around 55 MS Word (font 12) pages.

My plan is to get it published, and be a billionare by the time I'm 25; that's what I'm hoping for, anyways.

*crosses fingers*

The best advice I can give you on long-term writing is to take your time, and pay attention to the small stuff--cuz those are the things people are going to remember. It's the little things that happen on the way that make a story, not the beginning or the end. And DO NOT get in a hurry. Don't think about the ending. Forget about it. Just think about that moment you're in, that page you're on, that sentence you're in the middle of. Nothing else.

It's taken me over a year+ off and on to get as far as I've gotten on Fallen Leaves-- you just have to remember that it takes time, and you have to keep at it.

Little ideas include:

1.) Keep a sheet of paper with all your characters names on it. Write down their traits, connections w/the protagonist, and their motivations, etc.

2.) Don't make like a 'story bible' in the beginnig; keep it loose-- once you get characters established, they'll begin to take the story places you never even thought of. Follow where the characters lead; a story won't work if a character does something "just because." It has to fit their past decision makings, as well as their future motivations.

trentm32

Postby trentm32 » 4/5/2005, 10:14 am

..FALLEN LEAVES... >>NEXT CHUNK>>

...It felt hard between my fingers. I pulled the smooth piece of metal out, and watched the sun shoot off in a million directions as it struck the silver surface. I breathed in one final breath of preparation, and walked through the front door into the building.

Every step that my feet found echoed through the hollow corridor. Thump, thump, thump. Every reverberation seemed to fall in line with my heartbeat. It was one of the longest walks of my life. I finally made it to the front door of our apartment. I could hear tiny sounds coming from behind the door. Jules was still there. I stood there a few more moments; debating whether I should knock, or just let myself in. It’s funny, the little things you stress over. I finally decided to just use my key. As the lock on the doorknob clicked, I could hear sudden, excited silence fill the room beyond. I finally opened it, just enough to walk through, and slid myself into the tiny den. As I walked in, my sight immediately connected to Jules’ glowing blue eyes. She was trying so desperately to hold my gaze. All I could do was look at the floor. She was the first to speak. “You’re back. I knew you’d come back.” A genuine smile was quickly spreading across her face. “I… I can’t stay,” I quickly said with faux determination—hoping desperately my words would stall her smile before it made it from one corner to the next. It did. Her lips began to tremble. My legs suddenly felt like rubber. “A friend needs my help.” “I need you,” she shot back, showing what I knew, without a shadow of a doubt, was the first bit of true vulnerability she had ever shown to me. Tears began to slide down my cheek.

“I love you,” she said, as she came towards me; arms spread in embrace. “You shouldn’t,” I replied; as she slid herself between by arms. I could feel her heartbeat. It felt like the staircase, only harder. Warmer. Truer. “I lied to you,” I finally said. I could feel her body stiffen at the words. “What?” she squeaked out, between sobs. “I… I told you I loved you. And, and I don’t know if I…if I do, or not. But I said it, and I wasn’t sure… and I don’t think that’s one of the things you’re supposed to say, unless you’re a hundred percent sure… and…” I couldn’t think of anything else to say. “…I’m sorry.” She just pulled me tighter.

“That doesn’t matter... I forgive you… do you know, now? Do you love me, Alex?” By now she had pulled back, and the oceans in her eyes were staring deeper into me than anyone had ever looked before. “I… I don’t know. And, I can’t do this, if I don’t know. I just… I can’t. I’m sorry, Jules… I’m sorry.” At this she finally backed away from me. She collapsed onto the floor, her head between her hands. “But, but I love you,” I made out between sobs. I took a step toward her, out of reflex to comfort her, but caught myself; it would only make things worse. All I could do was walk past her, and pick up my bags. They were still stacked in the corner, where I’d left them the day before. A lifetime before. As I came back by, I laid my copy of the front door key down on the floor, in front on Jules.

When I did this, she finally raised her head. “If you’re waiting for me to get mad at you, so you can feel better; so you can justify walking out that door—you can forget about it.” She paused to gain her breath. “I love you, and I’m right here.” All I could do was mumble apologies as I fumbled to get my things together. When I finally made it back to the front door to leave, I looked back one last time toward her. She was sitting with her back against the wall; her head raised high, her eyes looking right through me. She’d never looked so broken. She’d never looked so beautiful.

I couldn’t leave yet. I slowly, hands trembling, walked back to her. I kneeled down in front of her, and she went to lower her head. I caught it with my forefinger, and led her sweet face up until we were looking straight into each others eyes. Before I even knew what I was doing we were kissing. It seemed as if we both knew it would be our last. I finally pulled away, and as I did I held her gaze. “Jules; you’re the most amazing person I’ve ever met,” and with that I lifted my thin frame back to its feet, and walked out of the room.

As I finally shut the door behind me, I was suddenly overrun with regret. Not because I thought I had made a mistake; to this day I stand firmly to my decision to walk out that door. It was just the fact that I had done it. I had made a decision that, to me, seemed irreversible. Walking out that door was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my life. I cared about her. Hell, I might have even loved her. But it just didn’t feel right. I wasn’t ready. She wasn’t ready. We were just too young. I hated more than anything to admit that to myself. Ever since I was a kid, I always got defensive when someone would tell me I was ‘too young’. It really stings when you figure it out for yourself. I wiped my tears off onto my sleeve, and slowly made my way back down to Josh’s car. Once I was at the front of the building, I looked up to it one last time. It looked smaller than it ever had before. The vines were like blades of grass, inching up alongside an aged matchbox. I quickly put my sunglasses on, and finally got in the car.

The radio was set to a classical station; a composition by Beethoven filled my ears on the way back to the hotel. Once I was there, I just sat in the car until the song was over. Through the song, the beauty was marred by a weakened crackle; two tiny speakers failing desperately to contain a symphony. When I walked into the room, Josh was putting his shoes on. Without looking up he asked “So, how’d it go?”

I replied with a question. “When does life slow down?” Without even pausing he shot back: “I don’t know—when you’re dead, maybe?” I just shrugged. I walked over to Josh’s guitar that was sitting propped against the bed. I picked it up and began strumming from C to G, and back again. The only two chords I know. After a few moments I popped the strings still and looked up; “So, where’s the first show?”

“A little bar in Bangor,” Josh replied, still fiddling with his shoelaces. He paused for a second, and tossed a duffel bag at me; “Here roadie, make yourself useful,” he jokingly said. I just chuckled, and lugged the bag outside, and tossed it in the trunk. Once I made it back in, he finally had his shoe tied. “Ready to hit the road?” he asked me. I breathed a deep breath. Knowing it could be one of the last bits of air I ever tasted from Florence I savored it, and made my way out toward the car.

On the way to Bangor I finally had a chance to get some of the details about the journey we were on. “So Josh, how exactly are we financing this little excursion?” “I’ve been saving some money for a while; plus my parents fronted me some.” “Really? Your parents have that much faith in you?” “No way,” he replied. “They just think that if I get out here and fail miserably, I’ll come back with my tail between my legs and go to law school,” he said proudly; nodding his head with full confidence of success. I just laughed.

My last experience in Bangor had been a pleasant one; back when Josh, Bill, Johnathan, and I stopped by for a day to hang out. I didn’t get to see the seedy side of town that day. It seems that, thanks to my tour with Josh, that was about to be remedied. When we entered the city, we were on the same road we had come through before. We even made our way by the river spot at the Penobscot we had stopped at our first time through. But it didn’t take long before we’d made a couple of turns, and things were looking way too dark and dank for the early afternoon. “So, what’s this place called?” I asked Josh, straightening in my seat to help watch for, as we now in the music biz say, the venue.

“Hell Box Bar & Grill.” All I could do was stare blankly back at him. “I know; sounds classy.” “Yeah,” I unenthusiastically added. After the third scary looking homeless person we drove by, I leaned over and clicked the auto-lock button for the doors. “Good idea,” Josh whispered under his breath; a subconscious effort not to attract attention toward ourselves.

We drove around blindly, too scared to ask for directions, until we finally came across the place. It was nothing more that a small, concrete set of stairs leading into a basement, with a fiery, spray painted sign held above it with sheetrock screws. Classy.

trentm32

Postby trentm32 » 4/6/2005, 11:07 am

does the Alex/Jules leaving scene play out well enough? what do you guys think?

trentm32

Postby happening fish » 4/6/2005, 11:40 am

i had a lot of trouble reading it, so i'm going to say yes
awkward is the new cool
[url]gutterhome.blogspot.com[/url]
happening fish
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby Random Name » 4/6/2005, 3:22 pm

Iit was a little cheesy but nothing incriminating. I liked it.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Take apart your head

Random Name

Postby trentm32 » 4/6/2005, 10:10 pm

'ppreciate it, guys

trentm32

Postby trentm32 » 4/7/2005, 2:14 pm

Random Name wrote:Iit was a little cheesy but nothing incriminating. I liked it.

I just re-read it, and you've got a point. I think I'm gonna go back and do some edits. any suggestions?

trentm32

Postby happening fish » 4/7/2005, 2:41 pm

don't have jules fall to the floor.... i'd rather see her stiffen up and panic
awkward is the new cool
happening fish

Postby Random Name » 4/7/2005, 5:05 pm

I think that Jules comes off so sobby and clingie that I actually wanted him to leave. But I'm bitter so you should probably just ignore that. :lol:

There are a few lines I didn't enjoy. Like, "I love you, and I’m right here." could be something like "I'll still be waiting." or something other then 'I love you' I mean, we get the point already. It is difficult to read, though, like Alex said which is defiantely a good thing.

I also always thought that Jules was a really tough chick before. Like on the bus. If you are going to steal money out of the bag of the guy sitting next to you, you definately need a spine. And then she lied to him and stole more money to move out. She isn't really a push-over. I don't really like the fact that she falls apart completly over him. I would have thought that she would have expected Alex to leave since he did kindof storm off. And so to see her flooded with tears and crying on the floor and clutching him just makes her come off as a weak women who can't live without a man. I know that clearly that wasn't your intentions but it felt out of character. So did him coming back to kiss her. What was that? She just heard "Your a liar. I'm moving out. I don't love you. I will never wanna talk to you ever again" and then she lets him kiss her? Seems odd. Perhaps too movie cliche. But all the same, it provides a quick dose of closure and the whole situation moved on rather quickly after that.

Man, I can gripe about anything. But really, the whole thing is really well done over all. It is written very emotionally and the only real problem I have is how the characters interact.

And for the record, the "classy" line at the end made me laugh. :)
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Take apart your head

Random Name

Postby happening fish » 4/7/2005, 5:10 pm

^agreed, thus:
happeningfish wrote:don't have jules fall to the floor.... i'd rather see her stiffen up and panic
awkward is the new cool
happening fish

Postby Random Name » 4/7/2005, 5:13 pm

:lol:
But I spent so lone typing all that out. :crying:
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Take apart your head

Random Name

Postby trentm32 » 4/7/2005, 8:45 pm

thanks guys! I had some of th esame gripes, as well. I wrote that all in the span of an hour or so, in the middle of the night. I just needed a little sleep; and you guys' critique, of course. So now it's back tothe grindstone...

trentm32

PreviousNext