ClumsyMonkey.net

*drools*

Show off your art.
A pop-up book of flowers from grade 4 are driving her insane...

Postby Long Jonny » 1/23/2004, 10:01 pm

areusad831 wrote:i think that he should perhaps go to a vocal coach b/c the desire is there but the songs just sound out of tune

Agreed.
Long Jonny
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby Johnny » 1/23/2004, 10:44 pm

He needs more than voice lessons
Professional Canadian.
Johnny
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007

Postby committed » 1/26/2004, 9:36 pm

thanks, assfuck
we are the brand new beatniks. we are the down and outers.
we are the bleeding hearts, beating syncopated, broken rhythm.
our speed is often break neck. we need to slow it down.
tired of being sleepless. tired of being broken.

committed

Postby Johnny » 1/26/2004, 9:48 pm

Can't accept criticism?
Professional Canadian.
Johnny

Postby Sufjan Stevens » 1/26/2004, 11:41 pm

No, see, Jeff can take criticism. However, when it comes to telling him what he needs to improve, he'd rather hear it in a nice tone telling him what needs to be adjusted and how to fix it, like Stephanie said.

Anyways, Rob drove Jeff from the board by deleting posts and things of the sort that he doesn't like to see. He's been doing the same thing to me too, and it's pissing me off.

Like I said earlier Jeff, I liked it. I want to hear some vox on the second one, because I was just waiting for it to break out and sound badass.

Keep working at it, because you've made some improvements from when I first heard your stuff. Your voice has improved since you first recorded a song and shared it with me. And on top of that, you're getting a lot better at the guitar too, so everything's just starting to come together. I say if you keep working at it, your voice will become stronger and you'll only get better with the guitar.
I faced death. I went in with my arms swinging. But I heard my own breath and had to face that I'm still living. I'm still flesh. I hold on to awful feelings. I'm not dead... My chest still draws breath. I hold it. I'm buoyant. There's no end.
Sufjan Stevens

Postby Sufjan Stevens » 1/26/2004, 11:43 pm

Oh yeah, and Johnanthan or however the hell you spell it, you really are a dick, ya know that?
I faced death. I went in with my arms swinging. But I heard my own breath and had to face that I'm still living. I'm still flesh. I hold on to awful feelings. I'm not dead... My chest still draws breath. I hold it. I'm buoyant. There's no end.
Sufjan Stevens

Postby Johnny » 1/27/2004, 12:26 am

I'm a dick eh? And why is that Alan?
Professional Canadian.
Johnny

Postby Axtech » 1/27/2004, 7:30 am

Settle down folks. There's no reason for this stuff.

Jeff, the music industry is a bitch. You have to take criticism whether worded politely or not.

Johnathan, since this is a board on which we're all friends (whether we want to be or not :P ) we have to be careful how we word things, so as to not hurt others' feelings.

Alan, while your account of what happened to Jeff is a little skewed, it's also completely irrelevant. I'll check on what's happening with you to see what's going on.

Now, everyone shake hands and let's not start a nuclear war. :mrgreen:
- -
Every now and then I fall out into open air just to feel the wind, rain and everything.
And though the hum and sway gets me down
, I'll find the way to peace and openness.

"Robbo" - © Alex (happeningfish)...^5 ^5 v v
Axtech
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2004

Postby areusad831 » 1/27/2004, 12:42 pm

when you make personal comments on the board they get deleted alan..simple as that..that is why there is a PM feature and e-mail. We dont need stuff like that on the board. To blame me for driving you away well that is your opinion, and if you think that is the case speak to me not the entire board.
old school CM'er 4 Life
areusad831

Postby Johnny » 1/27/2004, 2:09 pm

Axtech wrote:
Johnathan, since this is a board on which we're all friends (whether we want to be or not :P ) we have to be careful how we word things, so as to not hurt others' feelings.

Sorry. In all honesty. I wasn't trying to hurt anyones feelings. I'll be carefull in what I say from now on. :)
Professional Canadian.
Johnny

Postby Axtech » 1/27/2004, 2:14 pm

:nod:
- -
Every now and then I fall out into open air just to feel the wind, rain and everything.

Axtech

Postby Bandalero » 1/27/2004, 2:45 pm

nuclear strike averted...for now
Whenever death may surprise us,
let it be welcome
if our battle cry has reached even one receptive ear
and another hand reaches out to take up our arms.

Nobody's gonna miss me, no tears will fall, no ones gonna weap, when i hit that road.
my boots are broken my brain is sore, fer keepin' up with thier little world, i got a heavy load.
gonna leave 'em all just like before, i'm big city bound, your always 17 in your hometown
Bandalero

Postby Axtech » 1/27/2004, 2:47 pm

Well, the rocket had already been fired, so we had to redirect it somewhere.

Sorry, Texas...
- -

Axtech

Postby Bandalero » 1/27/2004, 2:51 pm

Axtech wrote:Well, the rocket had already been fired, so we had to redirect it somewhere.

Sorry, Texas...

that's ok, were brutes here, nuclear fallout isn't as bad as our summers. :P
Whenever death may surprise us,
let it be welcome
if our battle cry has reached even one receptive ear
and another hand reaches out to take up our arms.

Nobody's gonna miss me, no tears will fall, no ones gonna weap, when i hit that road.
my boots are broken my brain is sore, fer keepin' up with thier little world, i got a heavy load.
gonna leave 'em all just like before, i'm big city bound, your always 17 in your hometown
Bandalero

Postby Axtech » 1/27/2004, 2:52 pm

:lol:
- -

Axtech

Postby I AM ME » 1/27/2004, 6:04 pm

it isn't my type of music, but i can see it being good enough punk.

As for everyone giving structure, vocals, and guitar tips, it's punk guys that's how a lot of it sounds. Punk isn't about polishing everything. Hell half of the original punk bands couldn't play their instruments, but punk was never about that. It's not sposed to be something proggy sounding, or art rock sounding, it's PUNK!

of course this is just my opinion, i don't claim to know everything about punk, and i realize their are punk bands that do use hybrids of other styles. But as far as i'm concerned it sounds like good punk songs to me.
"How can we justify spending so much on destruction and so little on life?" Matthew Good

"The white dove is gone, the one world has come down hard, so why not share the pain of our problems, when all around are wrong ways, when all around is hurt, i'll roll up in an odd shape and wait, untill the tide has turned.....with anger, i'm dead weight, i'm anchored"- IME, God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas) ^ Some say this song is about a terrorists thoughts before 911

"Pray for the sheep" Matt Good
"But it's alright, take the world and make it yours again" Matt Good

I felt it in the wind, and i saw it in the sky, i thought it was the end, i thought it was the 4th of July.

"Hold on, hold on children, your mother and father are leaving, hold on, hold on children your best freind's parents are leaving, leaving,.......*AHHH*! " - Death From Above - Black History Month
I AM ME

Postby Joe Cooler » 1/27/2004, 6:51 pm

It's emo in my oppinion, not punk :nod:
Joe Cooler

Postby Solidarity 9-6347 » 1/27/2004, 11:20 pm

Clumsyboy wrote:it isn't my type of music, but i can see it being good enough punk.

As for everyone giving structure, vocals, and guitar tips, it's punk guys that's how a lot of it sounds. Punk isn't about polishing everything. Hell half of the original punk bands couldn't play their instruments, but punk was never about that. It's not sposed to be something proggy sounding, or art rock sounding, it's PUNK!

of course this is just my opinion, i don't claim to know everything about punk, and i realize their are punk bands that do use hybrids of other styles. But as far as i'm concerned it sounds like good punk songs to me.

being a "punk" band or singer in and of itself is not going to get you listeners or a record contract. you can be original and part of a genre at the same time and you have to have the basics down or at least be able to pretend pretty damn well or you won't have anyone (or very few) that are willing to listen to you, much less buy your recordings. would you listen to something or invest in it if it was really out of tune or the person just couldn't get a decent power chord out? or would you spend your money on someone who has put more into the musicianship part (to make it pleasant sounding) and has something that sets them apart from all the john doe bands out there? if you really want to break the rules (isn't this one of the ideals of punk rock?) you have to learn what they are and master them first. THEN you can break them and that is what makes the so-called "genius". if you don't even know what the rules are, it's kind of like being ignorant of history...you're doomed to repeat it. in the same way, not knowing the rules of musicianship will more than likely lead you to stumble onto the most basic musical mores under the flag of originality and you'll actually be achieving something that was done decades ago. such is the drawback of arrogant ignorance. the moral of the ...uh...story: learn as much as you can and use it to your advantage, whatever that may entail.
<3 Mademoiselle Pamplemousse

~The world would be a better place if only more things were made out of statue~
Solidarity 9-6347

Postby Sufjan Stevens » 1/27/2004, 11:59 pm

Idealist wrote:being a "punk" band or singer in and of itself is not going to get you listeners or a record contract. you can be original and part of a genre at the same time and you have to have the basics down or at least be able to pretend pretty damn well or you won't have anyone (or very few) that are willing to listen to you, much less buy your recordings. would you listen to something or invest in it if it was really out of tune or the person just couldn't get a decent power chord out? or would you spend your money on someone who has put more into the musicianship part (to make it pleasant sounding) and has something that sets them apart from all the john doe bands out there? if you really want to break the rules (isn't this one of the ideals of punk rock?) you have to learn what they are and master them first. THEN you can break them and that is what makes the so-called "genius". if you don't even know what the rules are, it's kind of like being ignorant of history...you're doomed to repeat it. in the same way, not knowing the rules of musicianship will more than likely lead you to stumble onto the most basic musical mores under the flag of originality and you'll actually be achieving something that was done decades ago. such is the drawback of arrogant ignorance. the moral of the ...uh...story: learn as much as you can and use it to your advantage, whatever that may entail.

What you said is true. And it's also the same reason why I've been teaching myself real things. I've strayed from my usual whiney writing and am trying to be artistic with it, instead of saying the same thing I've said 100 times before.

I've also given up on power chords. I'd rather learn how to play some real chords on the geetar so I can actually feel like I'm a guitar player. I finally know what a C is, and I fucking love it. I feel like I'm doing something and am reaching the wonderful world of talent.

I don't know, I just want to try something different, so if I ever go back to fast jerky guitar and my old lyrics, I know that I can completely change and do something amazing.

That's just my take on things. I like to feel artistic/intelligent, and what I'm doing works.
Sufjan Stevens

Postby I AM ME » 1/28/2004, 12:15 am

i agree with what you said steph but i don't exactly grasp what that had to do with my post? did i have the basic idea right or not?

Oh and also i didn't mean that they can't play, i just meant being a good player wasn't a crucial thing. I can't remember which band it was, probably the Sex pistols, or the ramones, buut i distintly remember that when they started their bass player had never played bass before, he just learned quick.
"How can we justify spending so much on destruction and so little on life?" Matthew Good

"The white dove is gone, the one world has come down hard, so why not share the pain of our problems, when all around are wrong ways, when all around is hurt, i'll roll up in an odd shape and wait, untill the tide has turned.....with anger, i'm dead weight, i'm anchored"- IME, God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas) ^ Some say this song is about a terrorists thoughts before 911

"Pray for the sheep" Matt Good
"But it's alright, take the world and make it yours again" Matt Good

I felt it in the wind, and i saw it in the sky, i thought it was the end, i thought it was the 4th of July.

"Hold on, hold on children, your mother and father are leaving, hold on, hold on children your best freind's parents are leaving, leaving,.......*AHHH*! " - Death From Above - Black History Month
I AM ME

PreviousNext