ClumsyMonkey.net

I've been attempting photography...

Show off your art.
A pop-up book of flowers from grade 4 are driving her insane...

I've been attempting photography...

Postby GetBent » 8/12/2006, 9:08 am

I've been seriously considering taken a photography course at the Community College. But, I should probably figure out if I suck at it or not before I even try to get in. So this is my first real attempt at actual photography, and I was hoping for maybe a couple comments, a little contructive criticism.. if anyone is willing it would be greatly appreciated.

GetBent

Postby Lando » 8/12/2006, 3:26 pm

Man this is garbage....................................

Nah I'm just messin' with ya. It's good, you'll also get better with time.

Get used to working with RAW if your camera allows it. You can do some amazing stuff with a great imaging software like Photoshop and the RAW format.
Lando
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005

Postby Hope » 8/12/2006, 4:15 pm

man, i love all of those. the first and last ones especially.
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Postby Joe Cooler » 8/12/2006, 4:55 pm

First, are you shooting film or digital? If its digital and you shoot in RAW format as Lando suggests than you can worry less about proper exposure and white balance because you can adjust them after the fact without losing any of the picture or color quality. Also, is your camera an SLR or point and shoot? There really is no sense taking a course if you don't have an SLR in my opinion.

Anyway, when you are shooting, don't be afraid to ignore your camera's light meter. I often slightly under-expose all my shots to get more vibrant color. I think under-exposing slightly would have helped on the first and last shot. Also, you can avoid blowing out the highlights of your shot through under-exposure which is always a huge plus. At the same time, feel free to over-expose if you think a shot needs it. Generally, there really is nothing more I can tell you without knowing the camera you have. If anything, just shoot what you enjoy. When I first started taking pictures, I often took pictures of what I thought other people would want to see. Now I just shoot what interests me and I think my photography has improved because of it.
Joe Cooler

Postby GetBent » 8/13/2006, 11:05 am

I'm using an old Pentax SLR.
And thanks for all the tips. I'm always worried about under or over exposing, but I'm definitely going to experiment more with the next roll.
I've been trying to get photoshop or something similar so I can play around with the pictures.
Also, I was reading about a whole bunch of extra tubes and lenses and things you can get to alter the look of your picture and I was wondering if all that is really necessary? It seems understandable if someone is paying you for the pictures, but, for now, this is just for my own amusement.

Here's a couple more.

This one isn't so bright it seems pale. And I liked the way that all the colours in Zipper (the cat) are in the beat up stairs.

I just took this one because it reminded me of being a kid, I was sitting on a swing at the time. Do you think if I had underexposed it the colours would have turned out brighter?

GetBent

Postby Joe Cooler » 8/13/2006, 12:06 pm

Ahh I have an old pentax as well. A k-1000. The thing is a brick but its reliable as anything. The great thing about SLR's is the ablility to change the lenses. The better the lense, the better the quality of the shot. Really though, the lenses you want depend on the kind of pictures you take. Regardless, its not necessary but it sure is a bonus. I'm not sure if I would have underexposed the shot of the swing. On the one hand the highlights on your jeans are blown out, but on the other, the dark tones in the gravel might lose detail if under-exposed to much. Regardless. underexposure won't make the colors brighter, just richer. Anyway, I think the shot is interesting to say the least.
Joe Cooler

Postby trentm32 » 8/17/2006, 10:00 pm

I dig the one with the kitten-- that's flippin cute.

But seriously, you're really good to just be starting out, I think a class would be a great idea.
"When looking up there, I just felt whole, like I belonged. Like one day I too would shine my most brilliant. Sitting there also made me think about sitting through services at my little country church back home. About that never-changing congregation of the same sixty-seven people and everyone has known you since before you were born. Now, out here in the real world, everything just seemed more vivid than when I used to sit in that little pew. That pew that was now so, so far away from where I was. I feared I had somehow left God behind there, too. I feared he was somehow just sitting there, saving my seat on the fifth pew from the front row, just waiting on me to come back. I left so quickly, I worried that he may not have noticed I was gone. And, now, I’m just too far away to find. So he’s just sitting there, patiently waiting on me to come back. I closed my eyes and prayed a moment. I hoped more than anything that he could still hear me." -an excerpt from my novella, A Sea of Fallen Leaves.

<a href="http://www.soundthesirens.com">SoundTheSirens.com</a>
trentm32
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby GetBent » 9/17/2006, 10:43 am

Thanks for the feedback and tips from before.. I just thought I'd stick this up here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bentdent
GetBent

Postby dream in japanese » 9/26/2006, 4:41 pm

you went to italy?
dream in japanese

Postby Random Name » 9/26/2006, 4:46 pm

Those are some smallll feet.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name
Oskar Winner: 2007
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby GetBent » 9/27/2006, 8:02 am

Yeah, I actually got to go on the school trip in March. Went to Italy and Frace. And yes, I have small feet. :)
GetBent