ClumsyMonkey.net

The Stop Bath Shindig

Show off your art.
A pop-up book of flowers from grade 4 are driving her insane...

The Stop Bath Shindig

Postby afealicious » 6/27/2006, 10:26 pm

we have lots of photographers here on the CM, so this is a thread for all questions photography-related! it might as well have a snappy title.

my questions are, who here on the CM does instant photography? and where can i get Polaroid 600 film cheapest?

cameraheads unite!

Last edited by afealicious on 7/3/2006, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afealicious
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby myownsatellite » 6/27/2006, 10:35 pm

I wish I had access to a dark room. I'd take a LOT more pictures than I do now.

I refuse to trust my "professonal" (wannabe) film to WalMart. And I only take black and white pictures on my actual camera. My digital camera is only for fun and stuff to remember. I always took much better pictures with my Canon.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Hope » 6/27/2006, 10:45 pm

that guy in the pciture freaks me out.

sorry, i know nothing about polaroids (as i've probably already told you...). i only use the manual 35mm camera and my crappy digital

:(
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Postby Joe Cooler » 6/27/2006, 10:49 pm

My family owns a few sweet camera's. The flim camera's are all of the Pentax variety. I like the K100 (seen in highschool photolabs everywhere) for simple 35mm shooting. My primary camera is my Olympus E-500 digital SLR. I just bought it this summer and have only one lense for it. (35-90mm in traditional lense measurements) I'm looking to buy a wide angle lense and a macro lense for close ups and portraits.

The point is, I don't know anything about polariods but I'd love to get one.
Joe Cooler

Postby afealicious » 6/27/2006, 10:49 pm

i own several really cheap (think $15-and-under cheap) 35mms that i never use, a Kodak Advantix that i used to use a lot but don't anymore (do they still develop the film for those?), a crappy 2mpx digital camera by Microtek, and a Sony Cybershot DSC-S40, which can handle 4.1mpx.

gosh, i need a <i>real</i> camera.
afealicious

Postby afealicious » 6/27/2006, 10:52 pm

and yeah, i don't own a polaroid but i love polaroid pictures. i'm thinking of getting one and i saw one, surprisingly, at Wal-Mart. it was the Polaroid One600 Classic, which i guess isn't fantastic but it's decent since Polaroid pictures aren't meant to be of brilliant quality anyway.

that camera's about $50, but i don't want to get it if the film's going to cost me a dollar a shot. that would suck.
afealicious

Postby Joe Cooler » 6/27/2006, 10:53 pm

You do, you'd love it. Although mpx doesnt always = quality. Ultimately it's the lense that matters. (Thanks obvious!) Although, my Olympus is 8mpx...which helps.
Joe Cooler

Postby Joe Cooler » 6/27/2006, 10:55 pm

afealicious wrote:and yeah, i don't own a polaroid but i love polaroid pictures. i'm thinking of getting one and i saw one, surprisingly, at Wal-Mart. it was the Polaroid One600 Classic, which i guess isn't fantastic but it's decent since Polaroid pictures aren't meant to be of brilliant quality anyway.

that camera's about $50, but i don't want to get it if the film's going to cost me a dollar a shot. that would suck.

I think the sucky quality of polariod pictures are what makes them charming.
Joe Cooler

Postby afealicious » 6/27/2006, 10:57 pm

yeah, i was wondering why my dad's 3.2 mpx Nikon could focus on things up close when my 4.1 mpx Sony couldn't. all in the lense...

something i've also wondered--what's the advantage in a 35mm camera over a digital like my Sony? is there any advantage at all if it's a really really cheap 35mm?
afealicious

Postby Joe Cooler » 6/27/2006, 11:03 pm

35mm's is just a lense measurement. Some would claim that a 35mm lense is perfect for general, everyday shooting. Really there is no advantage if its just a point and click 35mm. However, if by 35mm, you mean SLR, or a manual camera, than there is a huge advantage. With SLR's, you can change the focal distance, the aperture speed, ect ect. Basically, you have a huge degree of control your shots. SLR's also allow you to change the lense.
Joe Cooler

Postby Joe Cooler » 6/27/2006, 11:21 pm

Anyway, here is my question: Your favorite photograph at the moment.

Mine is found in this portfolio by Susan Burstine. The whole set is amazing but the second picture down in the first row is my favorite.

http://www.susanburnstine.com/portfolios.htm
Joe Cooler

Postby Hope » 6/28/2006, 12:07 am

those photos are cool. but personally i prefer photos with clear cut lines/curves and bright colour... i dunno. i'd rather have a really vibrantly coloured photo with geometric shapes than a "meaningful" or "symbolic" photo.

in other words, i have no idea what i'm saying.

my favorite photoblog: http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/

my question:

i have to buy an ordinary 35mm camera this summer because having one's own camera is a prerequisite for a photo course i'm taking in school next year... and i've never bought a manual camera like that and basically have little knowledge in cameras in general. do you know which kind/brand/whatever i should buy? i've used a bunch of similar ones borrowed from places, but i don't know which one would be the most ideal for just simple stuff, because i've never made a point of remembering the stuff.

thanks in advance.
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Postby Random Name » 6/28/2006, 4:26 am

myownsatellite wrote:I wish I had access to a dark room. I'd take a LOT more pictures than I do now.

I refuse to trust my "professonal" (wannabe) film to WalMart. And I only take black and white pictures on my actual camera. My digital camera is only for fun and stuff to remember. I always took much better pictures with my Canon.

Costco is the best place to develop photo's. They are professional and clean and they are cheap.

I mean film photography. I've never developed my digital photos there but I plan to in the near future.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name
Oskar Winner: 2007
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby myownsatellite » 6/28/2006, 7:21 am

I don't believe we have a Costco around here.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite

Postby Joe Cooler » 6/28/2006, 7:22 am

Hope wrote:those photos are cool. but personally i prefer photos with clear cut lines/curves and bright colour... i dunno. i'd rather have a really vibrantly coloured photo with geometric shapes than a "meaningful" or "symbolic" photo.

in other words, i have no idea what i'm saying.

my favorite photoblog: http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/

my question:

i have to buy an ordinary 35mm camera this summer because having one's own camera is a prerequisite for a photo course i'm taking in school next year... and i've never bought a manual camera like that and basically have little knowledge in cameras in general. do you know which kind/brand/whatever i should buy? i've used a bunch of similar ones borrowed from places, but i don't know which one would be the most ideal for just simple stuff, because i've never made a point of remembering the stuff.

thanks in advance.

*clicks* When you guys say 35mm, you mean 35mm FILM. Man, no wonder I was so lost. Anyway, you can't go wrong with an SLR under the Canon, Nikon, or Pentax brand when it comes to film SLR's. I'd go to a camera store to buy it though. They'll be able to recommend a good one.
Joe Cooler

Postby thirdhour » 6/28/2006, 8:12 am

polaroids are expensive. no matter where you find the film, its going to cost you at least a buck a shot. me and a friend did our last year of high school in polaroids. cost us harshly, but it was so much fun and they look awesome.
thirdhour
Oskar Winner: 2004
Oskar Winner: 2004

Postby AlyssWonders » 6/28/2006, 8:51 am

I have a Canon digital SLR 30D with 2 lens...well technically my mum has it but I use it alot. it's gorgeous!
~Cassie
AlyssWonders

Postby Hope » 6/28/2006, 11:56 am

Random Name wrote:Costco is the best place to develop photo's. They are professional and clean and they are cheap.

:nod:
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Postby Joe Cooler » 6/28/2006, 8:39 pm

AlyssWonders wrote:I have a Canon digital SLR 30D with 2 lens...well technically my mum has it but I use it alot. it's gorgeous!

You should post some shots. Or have you?
Joe Cooler

Postby Joe Cooler » 7/2/2006, 4:43 pm

All photographers here should join flickr. Its easily the poweful photohosting site available. I can spend hours on this site just looking at other peoples photographs.
Joe Cooler

Next