ClumsyMonkey.net

Writing tips

Show off your art.
A pop-up book of flowers from grade 4 are driving her insane...

Writing tips

Postby ihatethunderbay » 4/30/2006, 9:58 am

Tips, please! I've seen tons of good writers on here so I figured it's a good place to ask.

Personally I need anything related to story writing as opposed to poetry (I'm looking to write a story that, hopefully, will eventually become an RPG). If it helps, I like science-fantasy/cyberpunk (FFVII for example), and 'gritty' language as opposed to flowery, poetic stuff (Stephen King's Dark Tower stuff is the only thing that comes to mind at the moment). As you can probably tell, I'm rather clueless right now (Writer's Craft is next year..)

I suppose this thread can be used for anyone to ask for tips as well.
hating thunder bay since 2003
ihatethunderbay

Postby afealicious » 4/30/2006, 1:45 pm

i want to eat the innards of whoever CANCELLED writer's craft so that i won't have it when i get to my senior years.

*stab* :mad:
afealicious
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby Hope » 4/30/2006, 1:49 pm

mmm... innards.
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Re: Writing tips

Postby trentm32 » 5/1/2006, 3:01 pm

ihatethunderbay wrote:Tips, please! I've seen tons of good writers on here so I figured it's a good place to ask.

Personally I need anything related to story writing as opposed to poetry (I'm looking to write a story that, hopefully, will eventually become an RPG). If it helps, I like science-fantasy/cyberpunk (FFVII for example), and 'gritty' language as opposed to flowery, poetic stuff (Stephen King's Dark Tower stuff is the only thing that comes to mind at the moment). As you can probably tell, I'm rather clueless right now (Writer's Craft is next year..)

I suppose this thread can be used for anyone to ask for tips as well.

Hmm, to start with, be sure to decide upon a story that you would want to read, about topics and themes that you're most passionate about. Make sure that you have something to say, and that you know what it is that you want to say. And create characters that you would like to know, try to make them the most interesting creatures to every grace a page. Think of a grand story, but try to tell it in the most personal way. Write about what you care about, and it'll come through.
"When looking up there, I just felt whole, like I belonged. Like one day I too would shine my most brilliant. Sitting there also made me think about sitting through services at my little country church back home. About that never-changing congregation of the same sixty-seven people and everyone has known you since before you were born. Now, out here in the real world, everything just seemed more vivid than when I used to sit in that little pew. That pew that was now so, so far away from where I was. I feared I had somehow left God behind there, too. I feared he was somehow just sitting there, saving my seat on the fifth pew from the front row, just waiting on me to come back. I left so quickly, I worried that he may not have noticed I was gone. And, now, I’m just too far away to find. So he’s just sitting there, patiently waiting on me to come back. I closed my eyes and prayed a moment. I hoped more than anything that he could still hear me." -an excerpt from my novella, A Sea of Fallen Leaves.

<a href="http://www.soundthesirens.com">SoundTheSirens.com</a>
trentm32
Oskar Winner: 2005
Oskar Winner: 2005