ClumsyMonkey.net

Karate/Martial Arts Thread

Show off your art.
A pop-up book of flowers from grade 4 are driving her insane...

Karate/Martial Arts Thread

Postby Smooke » 11/27/2005, 7:59 pm

HEY!!

Well, you guys hardly know anything about me. So let's get down to the crunch.

My name is Deryk Smooke, I was born in Toronto, Ontario and lived there for approximately 15 years. I then moved to Halifax when I was 15 years old and have been living in Halifax since then :nod: ...I am now 24 years old :O

I started Karate when I was 4 years old. The style I was learning was called "Chito-Ryu" Karate-Do. For those who don't know, Karate means "Empty Handed" and "Do" means "way". cool huh?!

Back to the point. I was graded to Black belt at the age of 14 and then received my second degree black belt at the age of 19. I recently have obtained my third degree black belt in the summer. It's not easy. The black belt gradings are 5 hours long. And you have to know everything from Kihon(basics) to Kata (forms) to Kobudo (weapons) to even (Kumite) sparring.

so I have spent a total of almost 21 years in my martial art called Karate. I have been teaching it since 14 years old and I love teaching it, especially to the little children. And the amount of respect you gain from the student's feels great and amazing. This is my passion. :)

Those of you who are in a martial art or even considering taking a martial art of any kind. Please respond.

I think this thread will be beneficial in many ways :)

happy spamming! :O
Last edited by Smooke on 11/27/2005, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smooke
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby half jill » 11/27/2005, 8:03 pm

well...*isn't gonna mess with ya*
half jill
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby quietorloud » 11/27/2005, 8:18 pm

I'm turning 17 soon. Is it too late for me to take Karate? I've always thought about it when i was younger, but I never joined classes or anything.
I don't do sigs.
-Darren
quietorloud

Re: Karate/Martial Arts Thread

Postby Monkey » 11/27/2005, 8:34 pm

Smooke wrote:Those of you who are in a martial art or even considering taking a martial art of any kind. Please respond.

but we can't reply if we used to take a martial art?

:shh:
Monkey

Postby ihatethunderbay » 11/27/2005, 8:45 pm

I took Karate for about two years.. I got my purple belt and then quit. I think the style I learned was called Taekodokan? Anyway, I didn't learn anything useful so I quit. Plus I broke my collarbone.. that was pretty bad.
hating thunder bay since 2003
ihatethunderbay

Postby Axtech » 11/27/2005, 8:47 pm

In that case ... *doesn't reply*

But yeah, I took martial arts classes after school when I was in public school. I got up to Orange Belt with a green stripe (I forget what the actual name is, if there is one). All I had to do was do my final grading to get my Green Belt, but my sensai was an asshole, and wouldn't let me do it until after the summer break (the class that I had joined was done in the school's gym, although he did and does still have his own dojo). This meant, of course, that he'd definately get another year's payment out of me. That's the only reason he did it.

Since I was already getting sick of it, and since he was being an ass about getting my Green Belt, I quit. Sure showed him! :D

I'd get back into it if I had the time. But I'd probably have to start from square one again, since I can't even remember the basic sequence of blocks (and I can't even remember what it's called).

Kudos on the black belts, man. And teaching. That's awesome.
- -
Every now and then I fall out into open air just to feel the wind, rain and everything.
And though the hum and sway gets me down
, I'll find the way to peace and openness.

"Robbo" - © Alex (happeningfish)...^5 ^5 v v
Axtech
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2004

Postby afealicious » 11/27/2005, 8:58 pm

i was taught...tai...chi...for two....years.........

*hangs head and walks away slowly*
afealicious

Postby Smooke » 11/27/2005, 9:05 pm

quietorloud wrote:I'm turning 17 soon. Is it too late for me to take Karate? I've always thought about it when i was younger, but I never joined classes or anything.

It's never too late to get into any type of martial art, particularly Karate. In my opinion, Karate is overall the best martial art to learn because it's a pretty complex system. It's not simple like tae kwon do and judo. Of course it's not going to teach you much ground fighting skills, it will definately broaden your horizons to end the fight pretty quickly. So therefore. No ground :lol:

[/quote]

Monkey wrote:
but we can't reply if we used to take a martial art?

:shh:

By all means. This thread is an open minded thread or in Japanese "Kai-Shin" thread. :D

Axtech wrote:In that case ... *doesn't reply*

But yeah, I took martial arts classes after school when I was in public school. I got up to Orange Belt with a green stripe (I forget what the actual name is, if there is one). All I had to do was do my final grading to get my Green Belt, but my sensai was an asshole, and wouldn't let me do it until after the summer break (the class that I had joined was done in the school's gym, although he did and does still have his own dojo). This meant, of course, that he'd definately get another year's payment out of me. That's the only reason he did it.

Since I was already getting sick of it, and since he was being an ass about getting my Green Belt, I quit. Sure showed him! :D

I'd get back into it if I had the time. But I'd probably have to start from square one again, since I can't even remember the basic sequence of blocks (and I can't even remember what it's called).

Kudos on the black belts, man. And teaching. That's awesome.

and it's never too late to get back into. I respect people who actually try to endeavor it. It takes a lot of patience and will power to achieve a black belt. I've been in the kyu belt (coloured belt) stages. It's not easy. But if you're focused "kime" and have dedication in the martial art you shouldn't have any problems achieving the black belt.
Smooke

Postby Smooke » 11/27/2005, 9:08 pm

afealicious wrote:i was taught...tai...chi...for two....years.........

*hangs head and walks away slowly*

Don't be embarrassed :)

I'd love to hear about it. I'm highly interested in all martial arts!
Smooke

Postby superrgirll » 11/27/2005, 9:09 pm

i can soooo kick your ass
-lori
she's a fool for the last living rock king
http://www.livejournal.com/~got_to_get_away/

HARDCORE!
superrgirll

Postby Smooke » 11/27/2005, 9:11 pm

:lol:

you can sooo kick my ass huh?! :drool:
Smooke

Postby superrgirll » 11/27/2005, 9:19 pm

damn right. with both arms tied behind my back.
-lori
she's a fool for the last living rock king
http://www.livejournal.com/~got_to_get_away/

HARDCORE!
superrgirll

Postby Smooke » 11/27/2005, 9:59 pm

wow!

that's talented! :lol:

and ...hot!!! :drool:
Smooke

Postby namkablam » 11/27/2005, 10:02 pm

I am a ninja
namkablam

Postby beautiful liar » 11/27/2005, 10:52 pm

me too *ninjs*

actually, i studied kick-jitsu for two weeks. with a year in between each of those weeks. in gym class.

my parents wouldn't let me study martial arts. they thought it promoted violence. so i never got the opporunity to do any outside of school.

that may change eventually, because i have nothing but respect for martial artists.
beautiful liar

Postby Smooke » 11/27/2005, 11:33 pm

namkablam wrote:I am a ninja

:brad:

I challenge you to a fight then!

beautiful liar wrote:me too *ninjs*

actually, i studied kick-jitsu for two weeks. with a year in between each of those weeks. in gym class.

my parents wouldn't let me study martial arts. they thought it promoted violence. so i never got the opporunity to do any outside of school.

that may change eventually, because i have nothing but respect for martial artists.

Kick-jitsu?!

I never heard of it. There's so many different styles of Martial Arts, it's fairly fascinating. There's traditional and then there's modern. Traditional martial arts would be; Chinese martial arts like Kung Fu and Tai-chi and then there's Japanese martial arts like Karate, Ju-jitsu and Judo and then there's Korean martial arts like Tae-kwon-do (:lol:) don't even make me go there ...tae kwon do sucks!!! :lol: and then there's modern martial arts like street fighting, kickboxing, hapkido, aikido and so forth. Modern martial arts are good but it leaves out the traditional aspect of the traditional martial arts that I love.

Each martial art has it's own weaknesses and strengths. But I do enjoy Karate and I will be teaching it until the day I die :O ...One of these days I do wish to study Ju-Jitsu :O
Last edited by Smooke on 11/27/2005, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smooke

Postby Axtech » 11/27/2005, 11:36 pm

I think Nam has a slight chance of losing...
- -
Every now and then I fall out into open air just to feel the wind, rain and everything.
And though the hum and sway gets me down
, I'll find the way to peace and openness.

"Robbo" - © Alex (happeningfish)...^5 ^5 v v
Axtech

Postby Hope » 11/28/2005, 12:31 am

Smooke wrote:and then there's Korean martial arts like Tae-kwon-do (:lol:) don't even make me go there ...tae kwon do sucks!!! :lol:

why?
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Postby I AM ME » 11/28/2005, 12:38 am

Any chance you know my friend Steve Lopes?

He's big into Karate, and even made it to worlds a few years back, he got second place in the world in his age group (under 18 i think).

lol i don't really know that about Karate, Steve's my only connection to it.

By the way, he says Karate Manitoba sucks shit, would you agree?
"How can we justify spending so much on destruction and so little on life?" Matthew Good

"The white dove is gone, the one world has come down hard, so why not share the pain of our problems, when all around are wrong ways, when all around is hurt, i'll roll up in an odd shape and wait, untill the tide has turned.....with anger, i'm dead weight, i'm anchored"- IME, God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas) ^ Some say this song is about a terrorists thoughts before 911

"Pray for the sheep" Matt Good
"But it's alright, take the world and make it yours again" Matt Good

I felt it in the wind, and i saw it in the sky, i thought it was the end, i thought it was the 4th of July.

"Hold on, hold on children, your mother and father are leaving, hold on, hold on children your best freind's parents are leaving, leaving,.......*AHHH*! " - Death From Above - Black History Month
I AM ME

Postby closeyoureyes » 11/28/2005, 1:18 am

I like karate for the simple fact that it teaches you self discipline and self control. I lack both those things, it'd be good for me. Except i'm not remotely interested in taking on more time stealing activites :lol:
sinead
closeyoureyes

Next