ClumsyMonkey.net

"Chance"

Show off your art.
A pop-up book of flowers from grade 4 are driving her insane...

"Chance"

Postby trentm32 » 4/24/2005, 1:23 pm

I had an insanely weird dream, and this came of it... thinking about turning it into a full-length short story...

“Chance”

The rain was coming down in torrents. Chance shivered with the cold. She always shivered. Even in the summer, she always seemed to find herself chilled to the bone. Her dark black hair was matted to her face, sticking tightly to her thin nightgown. The water slid down off the silk with such motion that it seemed as if she were glistening. Her bare feet made tiny splashes as she swayed slowly; back and forth, back and forth, to the melody in her head. Soon she was humming under her breath. Her frail, pale arms swayed slightly with her thin hips. If you didn’t know, you would almost think she were happy. Just a girl; a girl dancing in the rain.

After so many hours, her feet were getting sore. The cold, hard brick was finally starting to cut through her tender soles. She had lost the since of vertigo from standing up so high. Even twenty stories didn’t seem so far after staring down to the passing cars for so long. She had counted a hundred and seventy-nine cars in the time she’d been standing there. She could see the hundred and eightieth slowly coming in the distance.

Her tears finally seemed to fade into the water pouring from the heavens. She could still feel the salt burning her cheeks. Her eyes were red; they’d been bloodshot for days. Chance desperately spread her arms out to her sides. They hung in the air like tiny feathers; held together by nothing more than string. Her grey gown lifted to below her knees. The lace fell almost to her ankles. It tickled her calves.

Chance raised her eyes up toward the sky. She’d been looking for stars all night—-she still hadn’t found any. She could just barely make out the full moon through the clouds. The rain drops lay heavy on her eyelids. She finally shut them and let out a sigh.

"When looking up there, I just felt whole, like I belonged. Like one day I too would shine my most brilliant. Sitting there also made me think about sitting through services at my little country church back home. About that never-changing congregation of the same sixty-seven people and everyone has known you since before you were born. Now, out here in the real world, everything just seemed more vivid than when I used to sit in that little pew. That pew that was now so, so far away from where I was. I feared I had somehow left God behind there, too. I feared he was somehow just sitting there, saving my seat on the fifth pew from the front row, just waiting on me to come back. I left so quickly, I worried that he may not have noticed I was gone. And, now, I’m just too far away to find. So he’s just sitting there, patiently waiting on me to come back. I closed my eyes and prayed a moment. I hoped more than anything that he could still hear me." -an excerpt from my novella, A Sea of Fallen Leaves.

<a href="http://www.soundthesirens.com">SoundTheSirens.com</a>
trentm32
Oskar Winner: 2005
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby veryoldshoelace » 4/25/2005, 1:44 pm

i like it, it's very descriptive
veryoldshoelace

Postby Rusty » 4/25/2005, 7:46 pm

It's good.

Queens Of The Stone Age-Someone's In The Wolf

Once you're lost in twillights's blue
You don't find your way, the way finds you...

Tempt the fates, beware the smile
It hides all the teeth, my dear,
What's behind them...

So glad you could stay
Forever

He steps between the trees, a crooked man
There's blood on the blade
Don't take his hand

You warm by the firelight, in twilight's blue
Shadows creep & dance the walls
He's creeping too..

So glad you could stay
Forever

Image <----------------- click and listen!
Rusty
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006