ClumsyMonkey.net

short story

Show off your art.
A pop-up book of flowers from grade 4 are driving her insane...

short story

Postby reza » 3/10/2005, 8:43 pm

**CAUTION THIS STORY INVOLVES ABOTRION. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK**
It's Still Raining

I stepped out of the driving rain onto the bus. It was late again. I deposited my bus ticket into the machine and pushed myself towards the back of the ride.
Clutching my umbrella, I tried to pretend that no one was looking at me as I settled down in my seat. They couldn’t possibly know about what I had just done. The umbrella hadn’t done its job and my hair was soaked which meant that my mascara was probably running. I quickly reached into my canvas backpack which was crammed to the brim with homework and took out my compact and took a look at the reflection staring back at me. My mascara wasn’t running. I looked into the mirror for a little bit longer, not really looking at anything particular. There was a droplet of water trickling down the ridge of my nose, past my dull brown eyes. The bus stopped momentarily, a woman struggled to lift a stroller onto the bus. No one helped her. No one ever bothers to help anyone.
I took an exasperated sigh and leaned my head against the window. It hit the glass with every bump, but I didn’t care. I had no reason to. There were a million things going through my mind. I was missing a test that day hoping that my chemistry teacher would let me write it later, he didn’t. More than anything, I think I was scared about my parents finding out. I could hear the lecture now. “I told you that she was too young to be seeing boys,” one would say to the other. “The other” would respond in sheer silence. What could he say? I would just respond by saying that he isn’t my real dad anyways. I looked outside. It was still raining.
I knew it was a mistake from the beginning. I shouldn’t have been pressured into it. I guess she was at least right when she said that I would regret doing “it” before getting married. I set my hands on my stomach. I felt empty. Quietly, I started sobbing hoping that the strangers on the bus wouldn’t notice. They probably did, but they didn’t bother to hand me a tissue or ask me if I was okay. I was just another mother with a stroller. No one wanted to help me.
The brochure said that I would have crying spells. I didn’t think they would kick in so quickly. I started thinking about how when I was younger I had planned to have three children, two boys and a girl. Gerri, Steve and Claire would have been their names. Gerri was going to be the oldest. I hadn’t counted on something like this happening. I had stopped crying, if my mascara wasn’t running before it sure was now. My eyes were focused on the front of the bus, I was late. It didn’t matter though, I had told them the night before that I may have to stay after school. Matt didn’t even know that I had gone to the clinic. He didn’t even know that I was pregnant for that matter. I didn’t want to tell him. He would want to be involved. I reached into my coat pocket and looked at the medication, “prescribed to Julia Schriver” it said, “to be taken with food.” I just wanted it to be over already. Then I could go back to worrying about things girls my age should worry about: prom, school, boys…no wait…no boys.
My stop was next, I stood up and put my bag back on, it was heavy. Standing up, I clutched the cold metallic railing to make sure that I didn’t fall as the bus jerked to a complete stop. I didn’t have to press the button. I kept my eyes on the floor and walked out of the bus. I could still feel their eyes. When I finally stepped out, it was still raining but my umbrella would work this time.
Image]
reza
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby closeyoureyes » 3/10/2005, 8:58 pm

sad, beautifully written. I'm glad you dont portray abortion to be a "brave" choice.
sinead
closeyoureyes
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby beautiful liar » 3/10/2005, 9:06 pm

awesome story :thumbs:

is it just me, or is every name in hte story cm/olp related?

gerri, matt, claire, steve, julia...

anyways, very nice work. :nod: you were nice and subtle, you didn't give in to overt pushing for or against abortion. sweet stuff.
beautiful liar

Postby reza » 3/10/2005, 9:32 pm

matt was after my best friend.
julie cuz i was listening to julia
gerri was my old assignment editor
steve cuz i couldnt think of another name
Image]
reza

Postby beautiful liar » 3/10/2005, 9:48 pm

:lol: i was jokin dude...but you gotta admit it's a funny coincidence.
beautiful liar

Postby reza » 3/10/2005, 9:50 pm

yeah looking back on it, it seems....creepy lol
Image]
reza

Postby reza » 3/10/2005, 9:50 pm

thanks for the kind words though
Image]
reza

Postby beautiful liar » 3/10/2005, 10:01 pm

you're welcome :D
beautiful liar

Postby Pyramanica_Naveedess » 3/10/2005, 10:04 pm

I agree. Very well written - not really pushing for either side.

No offense *i like this fact but* if some friends of mine read this, they would ask, whats this about? i dont get it... just cuz its kind of subtle and such. and doesn't actually include the word "ABORTION" in the actual story. < /bitchin bout some people >
<body link="#999999" vlink="#CCCCCC" alink="#999999">
<p align="center"><font face="Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font color="#006600">~<font face="Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font color="#FF33CC">*</font><font color="#006600">~<font color="#33FFFF" size="+2" face="Times New Roman, Times, serif">SaRah</font>~</font><font color="#FF33CC">*</font><font color="#006600">~<font face="Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font></font></font></font></font></p><font face="Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font color="#006600"><font face="Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font><br><font size=12><font color="#333333" size="+1">I'm 14,000,000 miles away from <font color="#00FFFF">sane</font></a></font></font></font></font><font color="#00FFFF" size="3"><a href="http://www.blueoctoberfan.com"> ~ Blue October</a></font>
</body>
Pyramanica_Naveedess

Postby trentm32 » 3/31/2005, 9:03 pm

*has cold chill*\

holy crap that's effin' awesome
"When looking up there, I just felt whole, like I belonged. Like one day I too would shine my most brilliant. Sitting there also made me think about sitting through services at my little country church back home. About that never-changing congregation of the same sixty-seven people and everyone has known you since before you were born. Now, out here in the real world, everything just seemed more vivid than when I used to sit in that little pew. That pew that was now so, so far away from where I was. I feared I had somehow left God behind there, too. I feared he was somehow just sitting there, saving my seat on the fifth pew from the front row, just waiting on me to come back. I left so quickly, I worried that he may not have noticed I was gone. And, now, I’m just too far away to find. So he’s just sitting there, patiently waiting on me to come back. I closed my eyes and prayed a moment. I hoped more than anything that he could still hear me." -an excerpt from my novella, A Sea of Fallen Leaves.

<a href="http://www.soundthesirens.com">SoundTheSirens.com</a>
trentm32

Postby reza » 3/31/2005, 9:09 pm

Thanks a lot, that means a lot to me coming from you.
Image]
reza

Postby Hope » 4/2/2005, 12:38 am

:freak: how did i miss this??

I like it a lot. :nod: only if i could write.
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope