ClumsyMonkey.net

Pittsburgh Review

Thousands can't figure out just what they did, just what they, just what they did...

Pittsburgh Review

Postby ArlieKoz13 » 8/23/2002, 9:35 am

Fucking awesome.

I went to the Pittsburgh show last nite and I am still in a state of shock. Greenwheel was amazing, and I intend to pick up their CD as soon as possible. The lead singer broke his microphone so they ended up doing a whole song with him just screaming the lyrics at the top of his lungs without a mic. It was pretty cool once he got a new one though.

Right before AudioVent's set, a guy came on stage and told us that there was a big storm moving in (it was an outdoor venue) so if it gets too bad, they might have to stop the show. I was getting a little nervous when it starting thundering and lightning during AudioVent's set. They played 2 songs and then had to go off because it was storming so bad. I thought everyone would get really pissed, some people were yelling, but overall, the crowd was really understanding. No riots. During their first song, Jason Boyd put the mic into the audience and I was the only one around him singing the lyrics so he pointed at me and smiled. Definitely a cool moment.

AudioVent only played 4 songs but all was well when OLP finally hit the stage. They opened with All For You, as usual, and it sounded absolutely amazing. It was kind of disappointing though because most of the crowd only knew the chorus. The crowd started to get really rough and knocking people over and stuff. I got kicked in the head so many times. My friend got kicked in the ear where she just got it pierced and it started bleeding. It was very scary for a minute or two.

We stuck it out and I have to say, my favorite song of the night was OMA. Raine climbed a rope ladder on the side of the stage, I knew he was gonna do it but the song just sounded amazing. Clumsy sounded great too. As did Neon Crossing. I was the only one around me that knew the lyrics to that, also.

Oh, what else is there to say? Steve is my new God. The intro to Starseed and Naveed were out of this world. He has such a presence on stage. Oh! And the Naveed/Life combo was amazing! I wish I could have enjoyed it more because I was getting trampled at the time. Wonderful show.

The only disappointing part was the drive home. The show ended at 11:30 and we got out of the venue fine but on the highway, there was an accident involving a semi so we didn't get home until 3:45 in the morning. Blah. But it was definitely all worth it.
Don't say we're healing when it's just not what we do...
ArlieKoz13

Postby Sufjan Stevens » 8/23/2002, 11:50 am

That sounds great, are you gonna put that on Rich and Shelley's site?
I faced death. I went in with my arms swinging. But I heard my own breath and had to face that I'm still living. I'm still flesh. I hold on to awful feelings. I'm not dead... My chest still draws breath. I hold it. I'm buoyant. There's no end.
Sufjan Stevens
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby UltraViolet » 8/23/2002, 6:42 pm

let me tell you my version of the show wasn't as rosy.

the crowd surfing got out of hand and this was defintely a rough crowd., In a 5 minute period I had 4 people land on my head. To make matters worse someone threw a beer bottle and it hit me on the sid eof the face..

I wasready to be pulled out at that point. I was front row. But i stuck it out.. They actually pulled out a girl who wasunconsious.

The whole crowd thing make this an unenjoyable evening for alot of fans looking forward to seeing a good show. You had to constantly worry about people surfing over you.

Before you guys call me a wimp. I have been front and center at quite afew OLP shows over the years. I have been hurt 3-4 times at shows. One time where the EMT's had to look at me. Plus i just got my eyebrow pierced afew days ago and I had to cover it everytime someone surfed over you so it wouldn't be yanked out.

there were sone highlights of the show. Watching Naveed, Birdman, Starseed, Not Enough and a few others. I just could of done without the *teenyboopers* behind us./ It is 4AM not 3AM( that is matchbox20).thees girls were bitching all night about me and this other girl being in front. We were in front of Raine. After I got hit in the head( I still have the the soreness) this girl, who wastrying to get in front of me and the people next to me all night kept saying *are you sure you don't want to leave*

Yes, Bitch I am sure. I have taken quite abeating at alot of OLP shows but always stuck it out.

:love:
R.I.P Joe Strummer
well some things you can explain away, but my heartache's in me till this day
Peace and Love
GAIL E.
Member of Maida Mafia(Mistress)
Coutts Cartel(Concubine)
S.A.S-MP1
[I need relevance, Intelligence
A new tattoo and a lot more SEX

OL F*K'N P
www.warchild.ca
UltraViolet

Postby luckyJQ9 » 8/23/2002, 6:51 pm

sounds like there were a lot of people there who weren't too familar with olp. i hate that. if you don't like the band, don't go to the show unless you're with someone who likes the band, otherwise you're just taking up space and making the experience unpleasant for others. Getting kicked in the head by crowd surfers sucks.

OLP's gotta come back to Philly...neeeeeeed to see them again. :mrgreen:
luckyJQ9

Postby Sufjan Stevens » 8/23/2002, 6:52 pm

Here's what you do when crowd surfers keep coming over you, and I do it too. At the Detroit show in 2001 the crowdsurfing was ridiculously bad, so my girlfriend at the time and I decided to punch towards their crotch. You hit a crowdsurfer in the sack, and they think twice before goin back up, let me tell you.
I faced death. I went in with my arms swinging. But I heard my own breath and had to face that I'm still living. I'm still flesh. I hold on to awful feelings. I'm not dead... My chest still draws breath. I hold it. I'm buoyant. There's no end.
Sufjan Stevens

Postby luckyJQ9 » 8/23/2002, 6:54 pm

:lol: I'll have to remember that! But if I get my ass kicked for doing it I'm coming after you
luckyJQ9

Postby Sufjan Stevens » 8/23/2002, 7:00 pm

You never get your ass kicked, because they're getting passed forward. It's not like the people are gonna pass the guy back so he can kick your ass. And the guy can't see your face, because people get passed up by their back. So in the end, you're just teaching a little bitch a lesson for kicking you in the head.
Sufjan Stevens

Postby areusad831 » 8/23/2002, 8:38 pm

i just found out that i actually won tickets to the soundcheck party for the pittsburg show. the only problem is i found out the day after the show. it wound up in my junk mail folder and i never checked it. :mad: pittsburgh is a little far but if i knew i may have gone. anyone actually know what went on at this soundcheck party?
old school CM'er 4 Life
areusad831

Postby luckyJQ9 » 8/23/2002, 8:44 pm

aww...areusad that sucks so bad. i enter those contests all the time and don't win...well at least you won. i'm not sure what he soundcheck party is. i'm assuming you get to watch the soundcheck and meet the band and such. i don't think they had one at the last show i went to, but they had a meet and greet afterwards. i think a shoundcheck party sounds a lot more exciting than a meet and greet though. sorry you missed out.
luckyJQ9

Postby areusad831 » 8/23/2002, 8:48 pm

damn junk mail filters :mad:
old school CM'er 4 Life
areusad831

Postby luckyJQ9 » 8/23/2002, 8:49 pm

i just got some junk mail for a penis enlarger...
luckyJQ9

Postby deniedjunkie » 8/23/2002, 8:49 pm

areusad831 wrote:i just found out that i actually won tickets to the soundcheck party for the pittsburg show. the only problem is i found out the day after the show. it wound up in my junk mail folder and i never checked it. :mad: pittsburgh is a little far but if i knew i may have gone. anyone actually know what went on at this soundcheck party?

that happened to me last year, won tix to an olp show but didnt check my email that day:(
www.unitedforpeace.org

"People like victory. They don t like justification. Once you are victorious, that s it. You don t have to justify."

R.I.P
Domenic Mobilio(1969-2004)
deniedjunkie

Postby Sufjan Stevens » 8/23/2002, 9:51 pm

The soundcheck parties are not that special. I saw one for the Rochester, NY show this year (I was first in line and could see straight in the door, so I got the soundcheck and got to stay outside) and it was nothing. They play SOT, Innocent, Story, and sign one item. Then the people who won the contest are taken outside, and if you have tickets for the show, you're taken to the back of the line, and if you don't, you go home.
Sufjan Stevens

Postby luckyJQ9 » 8/23/2002, 9:57 pm

ha, back of he line, that sucks. at the show at the electric factory, i was camped out on a blanket by an open window and you could totally hear the entire soundcheck, although you couldn't see the band, but that was okay cause i didn't have give up my spot in line.

you know, OLPFan, I'm not sure how much I want to touch someone's sweaty crotch at a show, even if it means they won't be bothering me anymore. I'll have to bring some latex gloves with me. :mrgreen:
luckyJQ9

Postby Sufjan Stevens » 8/23/2002, 10:01 pm

Ummm, I hope no one goes crowd surfing naked, or some one is gonna get a finger up their butt, and that will just ruin their night. But seriously, the soundcheck parties are kinda useless. You hear Raine keep singing Innocent over and over again, without any effort, and not the entire song, and then not get to talk to the band, just give them an item and get it signed. Lame, isn't it?
Sufjan Stevens

Postby luckyJQ9 » 8/23/2002, 10:07 pm

eww...innocent sung over and over with no effort. the only way that could be worse is if it were in a commercial for a Vin Diesel movie.

As much as I love OLP I wouldn't give up a chance to stand in the front row to see that.
luckyJQ9

Postby ArlieKoz13 » 8/23/2002, 10:54 pm

UltraViolet wrote:the crowd surfing got out of hand and this was defintely a rough crowd., In a 5 minute period I had 4 people land on my head. To make matters worse someone threw a beer bottle and it hit me on the sid eof the face..

The crowd was pretty rough. Me and my friend pulled out right before Starseed, I was dying of thirst and I was starting to get really dizzy. If it wasn't OLP, I woulda been outta there right after the first song.
Don't say we're healing when it's just not what we do...
ArlieKoz13

Postby UltraViolet » 8/24/2002, 4:29 pm

ArlieKoz13 wrote:
UltraViolet wrote:the crowd surfing got out of hand and this was defintely a rough crowd., In a 5 minute period I had 4 people land on my head. To make matters worse someone threw a beer bottle and it hit me on the sid eof the face..

The crowd was pretty rough. Me and my friend pulled out right before Starseed, I was dying of thirst and I was starting to get really dizzy. If it wasn't OLP, I woulda been outta there right after the first song.

I was ready to be pulled out at the 5th song. I usually stand in front and bear with everything. I just hate the whole crowd surfer shit. Hated it when I wasa teen/early 20's. Hate it even more now in my 30's. I have been to every kind of show and even punk shows. Never got hurt like I do at OLP shows. I don't understand it. They aren't an agreesive band, yet some of the people at the show are. What is sad is the people next to me couldn't enjoy the show because they had to constantly look over their shoulders for Crowd surfers. :evil:

I told my friend that this was the show that if I didn't love OLP the way I do I never see them again live. :love:
R.I.P Joe Strummer
well some things you can explain away, but my heartache's in me till this day
Peace and Love
GAIL E.
Member of Maida Mafia(Mistress)
Coutts Cartel(Concubine)
S.A.S-MP1
[I need relevance, Intelligence
A new tattoo and a lot more SEX

OL F*K'N P
www.warchild.ca
UltraViolet

Postby Sufjan Stevens » 8/24/2002, 8:52 pm

I just wanna say that you don't get hurt at punk concerts because everyone in the crowd expects crowdsurfing, so they're braced for it, and there are a whole lot more people ready to catch the surfers before the people up front get kicked in the face.
Sufjan Stevens

Postby Kid_A_42 » 8/25/2002, 5:44 pm

Ultraviolet, you went to the Cleveland show, right? Were you wearing a pink shirt? Because if that was you, I kept seeing you all night. Did you go to the bathroom on the 3rd floor and see four kids looking bummed sitting on a bench? Because that was me. :D
MUSICIAN: You're in a privileged position in society. You're expected to tell the truth
TOWNSHEND: Bullshit! Bullshit! I'm not expected to do anything. Nobody is going to tell me what to do. Nobody is even going to ask me what to do. If anybody doesn't like it, that's their problem. It's my work. If someone doesn't like it, I can't help it.
Kid_A_42

Next