ClumsyMonkey.net

July 27, Tempe AZ Review

Thousands can't figure out just what they did, just what they, just what they did...

July 27, Tempe AZ Review

Postby Dack » 7/28/2002, 2:33 am

After seeing Our Lady Peace tonight for the second time, I can still say that they are by far the greatest band to play on the face of the earth. We arrived at Nita’s Hideaway (a real dive that, ironically enough, at last year’s Spiritual Machines tour, held at the Cajun House, Raine dissed hard) about an hour before the gates were set to open. After waiting in line, we got inside the venue to find a chain link fence straight down the middle of the venue. One side was for those over 21 who wished to drink, but whatever they’re reasoning, the situation sucked. My friend Charlie and I were about 50 feet from the stage when the opening act, Greenwheel came out. They were fine, nothing special. I wasn’t motivated to go buy their CD; all I wanted was to hear Our Lady Peace. Next up was Audiovent, who certainly brought a lot of energy to the stage, but like I said, all I wanted was to hear Our Lady Peace.
Audiovent left the stage; I began to feel my excitement increasing as they brought out Jeremy’s drumset set, and began setting up Steve and Duncan’s guitars. Then the stage went black; a slow, haunting musical piece was being played over the loudspeakers as the band members took their places. Mike began to play the first few notes of All For You, and I knew it was on. The band tore through the first three songs. Everyone was obviously into it, Steve especially seemed to be a guitar playing machine, rocking out and hitting every note while doing it. The trouble started when the band began to play the Naveed/Life combo. Right before the transition between the two parts, all the power went out on stage. Raine walked off stage for a few seconds and came back.
“Well this sucks” He said, while the crowd cheered in agreement. He talked with his bandmates for a second, then said “It looks like we have enough power for the equipment but not the lights, so we’re just gonna play music.” The crowd went crazy and the band picked up where they left off. They played several songs without the lights- by the time Story About A Girl came on, Raine was obviously pissed about the situation. He walked to the side of the stage, pushed Duncan out of the way and pulled down one of the monitors, kicking it a few times while a roadie scrambled to pull it away. However, the band didn’t let the problems faze them. They continued to play their hearts out, even though their troubles weren’t over. In the beginning of Are You Sad? Raine’s guitar started cutting out. He said a few words to somebody off stage that were somewhat picked up by the microphone, most of them involving four letter words. He turned to the crowd, and with a simple “f*** this s***”, began playing again. This time, fortunately, it worked.
Even with all the problems, and the poor quality of Nita’s PA, it was still a great show and I simply can’t wait for the next time they come around. I do wish they had included some other songs, namely 4AM and Thief, that they’ve been playing at other stops, but I’ll live till I see them next time. These guys are absolutely amazing, and should not be missed live if you get the chance. I think it’s safe to say though, that their future won’t include a little dump called Nita’s Hideaway.

Setlist (In Order)
All For You
Do You Like It
Superman’s Dead
Naveed/Life
Bring Back the Sun
Story About A Girl
One Man Army
Not Enough
Is Anybody Home?
Innocent
Right Behind You
Clumsy
Are You Sad?
Whatever
Starseed

Encore:
Somewhere Out There
Birdman

The Only other thing that pissed me off was that I didn't get an actual ticket because of the way we bought them. So if anybody has one they don't want that they would give me, I'd be eternally grateful. (I'm putting together a really cool art piece/memory thing with all my ticket stubs)
Dack

Postby Endymion » 7/28/2002, 11:04 am

Did they do the new Starseed intro?

It's killer.
::livejournal::

<font color="#CCFFCC">spent and sighing with a look in your eye
spent and sighing with a look on your face like

sweet revelation</font>
Endymion

Postby Dack » 7/28/2002, 11:06 am

yeah they did, it was awesome. They also had a new intro for Naveed that kicked ass too.
Dack

Postby luckyJQ9 » 7/28/2002, 11:19 am

Man, I'd be pissed if I was OLP. They should have like...gone unplugged, that would have kicked so much ass. I didn't get a ticket at the last concert I went too because you could only get the tickets will call, so basically, no one got actual tickets. I do the same deal, keep the stubs for all the concerts/athletic events I go to in a scrap book. Luckilly, for the Philly show, I got the ticks of ticketmaster and they arrived in holdable, paper ticket form :mrgreen:
luckyJQ9

Postby UltraViolet » 7/28/2002, 2:46 pm

I have one question.

is Raine still singing an ad lib before Is Anyone Home. He made up this lyric in Cincinatti which wascool and I wawondering if he was still doing it before the song. Actually it was a verse.

:love:
R.I.P Joe Strummer
well some things you can explain away, but my heartache's in me till this day
Peace and Love
GAIL E.
Member of Maida Mafia(Mistress)
Coutts Cartel(Concubine)
S.A.S-MP1
[I need relevance, Intelligence
A new tattoo and a lot more SEX

OL F*K'N P
www.warchild.ca
UltraViolet

Postby call me andrew » 7/28/2002, 2:56 pm

he did it in houston!
and now its international security. the call of the righteous men.
call me andrew

Postby Dack » 7/28/2002, 3:52 pm

Yeah, he did the same thing in AZ. He also sang something during the new opening for starseed.
Dack

Re: July 27, Tempe AZ Review

Postby Rainesbluecat » 7/28/2002, 5:44 pm

Dack wrote:We arrived at Nita’s Hideaway (a real dive that, ironically enough, at last year’s Spiritual Machines tour, held at the Cajun House, Raine dissed hard)

I'm surprised they played Nita's too. They actually played inside there last year and weren't happy with the sound. I guess they figured outside would be better.

Dack wrote: I do wish they had included some other songs, namely 4AM and Thief, that they’ve been playing at other stops

They had Automatic Flowers and Thief on the setlist but they got crossed out a few minutes before the band came on because of time. :(
Rainesbluecat

Postby Sufjan Stevens » 7/29/2002, 11:08 am

What is this ad-lib you speak of? Maybe I didn't notice it in Columbus, but IAH seemed pretty normal to me....
I faced death. I went in with my arms swinging. But I heard my own breath and had to face that I'm still living. I'm still flesh. I hold on to awful feelings. I'm not dead... My chest still draws breath. I hold it. I'm buoyant. There's no end.
Sufjan Stevens
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby UltraViolet » 7/29/2002, 3:52 pm

OLPFan420 wrote:What is this ad-lib you speak of? Maybe I didn't notice it in Columbus, but IAH seemed pretty normal to me....

It was started in Cincinatti and wasn't the Columbus show before that show.

I saw them the night before in Toledo and they didn't do it.

:love: :love: :love:

P.S. Raine has this habit of just singing things live or in soundcheck that may or maynot make it to a song.
R.I.P Joe Strummer
well some things you can explain away, but my heartache's in me till this day
Peace and Love
GAIL E.
Member of Maida Mafia(Mistress)
Coutts Cartel(Concubine)
S.A.S-MP1
[I need relevance, Intelligence
A new tattoo and a lot more SEX

OL F*K'N P
www.warchild.ca
UltraViolet

Postby ArlieKoz13 » 7/29/2002, 10:16 pm

...But what was it?
Don't say we're healing when it's just not what we do...
ArlieKoz13

Postby Dack » 7/30/2002, 2:56 am

In the beginning of the song, Raine plays a different chord progression chords to a verse (I didn't catch the lyrics), to a slower tempo, then speeds it up and goes into the regular opening chords.
Dack

Postby ArlieKoz13 » 7/30/2002, 1:07 pm

< Can't wait until Aug. 22!!! :mrgreen:
ArlieKoz13

Postby Sufjan Stevens » 7/30/2002, 1:10 pm

The slow intro to IAH sounds just like Thief to me. Each time I hear it, I freak out. At the Columbus show they started that, and I go "It's Thief" and I thought for a second, and remembered I just heard Thief two songs before that....lol
Sufjan Stevens

Postby yourbuddypal » 7/30/2002, 5:21 pm

dfklsjlfsdklj Now im gettting really really really excited for the concert! August 10th....lfksjfsldkjs....jesus im now hyper. :D

Its nice to see that they are still playing some of their older stuff. this makes me very happy :nod: Naveed and Starseed rock my world...i wanna hear the new intros :(
Whats a signature?

It all seems so contaigious, not to be yourself and faceless in a song that has no soul.

And maybe you just need, a friend, as clumsy as youve been...

"You've got to keep it pure. You enter as a musician and if you're not careful, you end up as an entertainer." -Raine Maida
yourbuddypal

Postby Sufjan Stevens » 7/30/2002, 5:29 pm

Just remember, they will NEVER not play Naveed or Starseed at any of their shows. They can't turn their backs on the songs that made them popular
Sufjan Stevens

Postby ArlieKoz13 » 7/30/2002, 9:03 pm

yourbuddypal wrote:dfklsjlfsdklj Now im gettting really really really excited for the concert! August 10th....lfksjfsldkjs....jesus im now hyper. :D

Haha, that's exactly how my mind has been thinking for the past week since I got my tickets. I can't even think straight anymore. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ArlieKoz13

Postby Endymion » 7/30/2002, 11:26 pm

UltraViolet wrote:I have one question.

is Raine still singing an ad lib before Is Anyone Home. He made up this lyric in Cincinatti which wascool and I wawondering if he was still doing it before the song. Actually it was a verse.

:love:

Well, what is it? :P

sweet revelation</font>
Endymion

Postby Endymion » 7/30/2002, 11:28 pm

OLPFan420 wrote:Just remember, they will NEVER not play Naveed or Starseed at any of their shows. They can't turn their backs on the songs that made them popular

I heard a quote from Raine saying that he hated how Pearl Jam won't play the hits. All Our Lady Peace plays anymore is the singles, except for the new album, though. They have so many good songs and good singles, though, so I guess it's understandable.

sweet revelation</font>
Endymion

Postby Sufjan Stevens » 7/31/2002, 4:50 am

Exactly. There are good singles which got phased out (Hope, Carnival) but the bad ones get phased out too (Life, except for the four lines of it in Naveed now)
I faced death. I went in with my arms swinging. But I heard my own breath and had to face that I'm still living. I'm still flesh. I hold on to awful feelings. I'm not dead... My chest still draws breath. I hold it. I'm buoyant. There's no end.
Sufjan Stevens

Next