ClumsyMonkey.net

Chorpus Christi, TX - Oct, 24, 2019

Thousands can't figure out just what they did, just what they, just what they did...

Chorpus Christi, TX - Oct, 24, 2019

Postby Hugh23 » 11/1/2019, 8:51 pm

8:00pm CDT

1. Hiding Place for Hearts
2. Superman's Dead
3. Innocent
4. One Man Army
5. Do You Like It
6. Is Anybody Home?
7. Mapps (Cover of The Yeah Yeah Yeahs)
8. Somewhere Out There
9. Drop Me in the Water
10. Not Enough
11. Clumsy
12. Stop Making Stupid People Famous
13. Starseed

9:00pm CDT

This concert was one of two concerts outside of the end of #thealtimatetour. Corpus Christi, TX is on the Gulf of Mexcio about a 30 minute drive north of the Mexican border. The town is not very big. It seemed to me the two biggest employers were the oil & banking industry. It looked to me to be a lively Spring Break destination, but otherwise it was dead as far as nightlife was considered. The temperature was about 72 degrees Fahrenheit with medium humidity. The Concrete Street Amphitheater consisted of two venues side by side. The outdoor stage was for concerts with !0,000+ fans. OLP played in the amphitheater which maxed out at 5000 fans. I would estimate about 4000 fans showed up for Live, OLP and Filter (a no show covered by a local band).

The venue was like a large open air shed where one might hold a weekly farmer's market. It was obvious this shed was built for concerts. There was an elevated stage with a "pit area" divided by a metal barrier/fence. Hanging from the roof were huge fans with each blade being 8-10 ft. (?) long and spinning at a high rate. It created a strong breeze which felt good. There were three huge bars and you rarely waited for an adult beverage. This was a GA venue.

The first thing I noticed immediately was that Steve Mazur was singing a lot on the first three songs of the set. Steve singing is not unusual as he and Duncan Coutts harmonize quite often on the chorus of different songs. Steve or Duncan will also reinforce lines Raine Maida is singing by coming in on the last two words of a line. What I noticed was Steve's microphone was fully amped up and out front just like Raine's. Steve sang along with Raine on almost all the lines, but in a lower tone than Raine. It sounded so good and different because I never heard OLP perform this way!

My wife and I were in the pit in front of Duncan, a few rows back. I enjoyed this concert better than the one I saw in Rochester, Hills MI on #thealtimatetour because OLP played a longer set. All the guys in the band played so well and the fans gathered for the show were really supportive and singing most of the songs with the band. The concert became more fun as the beer flowed and OLP let go of themselves and let the music flow from their spirits! Literally, everyone was singing and dancing and having a great time. Numerous people besides myself were cheering the band on between songs. I never noticed, but there was a guy in the second row in front of Raine's microphone and he was yelling something at Raine between each song. It was almost distracting Raine. So just before Clumsy started Raine says, "Dude, I can't hear you, but what do you want? How can I help you"? There was a garbled answer from some guy with a red t-shirt and light blue ball cap. His response ended with a drunken, "Play Starseed"! Immediately I began yelling at the guy telling him to hold on, its coming. Raine kind of dismissed him and Clumsy started.

During Stop Making Stupid People Famous, James who is Steve Mazur's guitar tech and the go to guy for OLP at live performances, ran out and was fiddling with Steve and Duncan's battery packs on their belts and the connections on their playback amps located on stage. I found out later the humidity and the wicked use of their instruments was overloading the gear and not sounding right at the sound board. I didn't noticed. As far as I was concerned the music sounded great.

I did notice Steve was sweating quite a bit as he gives everything he's got in the tank at every performance. All the guys do! Every now and then Steve would come up to the edge of the stage during a solo and throw his head down and his body a bit forward as the music his guitar makes moved him about. A few times I saw Steve's sweat go flying into the fans cheering in front of him. It didn't seem to bother anyone.

I was always an OLP fan, but one Canadian band has always held my heart, as much as I do love OLP. That band is The Tragically Hip. My wife and I have seen The Hip live in concert over 100 times over 21 years of following them. I dedicate most of my concert energy to OLP now. But seeing Steve's sweat flying into the crowd reminded me of Gord Downie dancing about the stage singing and sweating every which way! Myself and a number of Hip fans have been "sweated" on by Gord. If you could get over the grossness, it was a "badge of honor" at a Hip concert. Seeing Steve's sweat fly during a concert reminded me of Gord D and it made my heart swell with joy. What a great pop up memory out of nowhere! The whole concert was a natural high for me. I felt great two days later from the after glow of this concert.

I'm from a suburb outside of Detroit, MI. As we were leaving the concert I saw the guy with the red t-shirt and light blue hat who had slightly distracted Raine. He was wearing a Made in Detroit t-shirt which has always been popular at home. Kid Rock, (the asshole), bought the trademark and makes all profits from these t-shirts. The only people who brag about being from Detroit are those like me (suburbanites) or actual Detroit residents. This guy was either visiting from Detroit like I was or he was a Detroit transplant living in Corpus Christi, TX. :lol:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hDRqAH]Image

These next few photos are stop action of Steve playing one of his solos:

Late start:

Almost the whole video. Late start:

Hugh23

Re: Chorpus Christi, TX - Oct, 24, 2019

Postby astute_99 » 11/2/2019, 5:52 pm

Fantastic Hugh, thank you as always! :love:
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby Driven » 11/6/2019, 12:51 pm

I love the change they made to One Man Army where they quiet things down at the beginning of the last chorus. It seems like they've made a few changes to some songs recently.
Driven

Postby xjsb125 » 11/6/2019, 4:24 pm

Agreed. I like some of the reinvention or reimagining of songs from time to time.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010