ClumsyMonkey.net

Summersault - Toronto, ON September 15th, 2019

Thousands can't figure out just what they did, just what they, just what they did...

Summersault - Toronto, ON September 15th, 2019

Postby Locobone » 8/30/2019, 3:42 pm

Posted this on Facebook but I thought it should go here too!

Toronto friends! We're about two weeks away from Summersault! Are there any weekend and/or pre-show shenanigans planned? If not, let's make some!

It's been a while since we've had a large OLP show gathering in the GTA and I think Summersault weekend would be a good time to relive old memories and make new ones! Discuss...

As always, anyone is welcome to join in!
Locobone
Oskar Winner: 2010

Re: Summersault - Toronto, ON September 15th, 2019

Postby Hugh23 » 9/9/2019, 4:10 pm

I'm pumped up and going to this show! I'm up for some pre-show shenanigans. :D
Hugh23

Postby myownsatellite » 9/9/2019, 5:44 pm

*sniff* I'm going to miss you guys!
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Locobone » 9/12/2019, 4:44 pm

Okay, friends...we will be gathering at Saturday, September 14th at 8PM at the Jack Astors in Dundas Square. The reservation is under my name. Let me know who can attend so we can get a loose headcount and have enough seating to accommodate us. Spread the word and feel free to invite anyone who may not see this message. All are welcome (band members included!! lol)!! Hope everyone can make it!

10 Dundas Street East
Toronto, ON, M5B 2G9
Locobone

Postby Locobone » 9/13/2019, 1:20 pm

UPDATE!! Due to the overwhelmingly underwhelming response (and everyone's varying travel plans) we're going to hold off on Saturday nights meetup....instead shooting for a preshow brunch spectacular. Time and place to be determined. Input is welcome!
Locobone

Postby Hugh23 » 9/17/2019, 5:22 pm

9:42pm EDT

1. Hiding Place for Hearts
2. Superman's Dead
3. Innocent
4. One Man Army
5. Do You Like It
6. Is Anybody Home?
7. Maps (Cover of Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs)
8. Somewhere Out There
9. Drop Me in the Water
10. Stop Making Stupid People Famous
11. Ballad of a Poet
12. Clumsy

Encore
1. 4AM
2. Naveed
3. Starseed

11:00pm EDT

Even though I'm from a suburb of Detroit, MI., I have been to numerous concert venues in Toronto, ON. This was the first time I visited the Budweiser Stage. This was the last concert of the Our Lady Peace #Summersault2019 (5 stop) Canadian Tour. This festival style tour was inspired by the original Summersault Tour OLP started back in 1998 which included The Smashing Pumpkins. It appears OLP is going to keep Summersault going for the near future.

The day/evening had intermittent rain with a cool breeze. Thankfully, I had a seat in the pavilion. The concert line up included Dear Rouge, Live, Bush & OLP. Human Kebab played cool DJ sets between acts as the roadies prepared for each band. I entered the venue halfway through the spirited Dear Rouge set. Live & Bush were well received by the Toronto fans in attendance. The fans were singing along to songs of both of these bands and applauding loudly. I knew OLP would get a good reception, but I wasn't ready for what happened.

I've seen OLP in small 5000 seat venues in Toronto before and the emotions and energy of the Toronto fans is always there. When 20,000 OLP fans show there love, the sound and the emotions are overwhelming. This is how I felt during the entire OLP set. The fans cheered and sang along louder than they did earlier! I know I said in a previous concert review for a 2018 show in Rochester, NY that it was my favorite concert. Well, the Rochester show has to take a back seat to this one. This was my 23rd OLP concert since 2010 and I would have to rate it as my best so far. 23 is my lucky number & my favorite jersey number to wear in the beer hockey league.

Not only did the fan response make it a fantastic concert, but each member of OLP added some flair to their normal concert performance. First of all, OLP, Bush & Live have become good friends while crossing the USA on #thealtimatetour (refer to my pictures & review in the Bush/Live/OLP thread). It's my personal opinion OLP wanted to out perform the other bands in their hometown show. Raine, Duncan, Steve & Jason were more energized than normal and I could see it in their stage presence.

Raine was dressed in all black except for his shirt & socks. His black jeans were tight and stopped two inches short of his shoes to show off the white socks. He looked like he stepped out of the movie, "American Graffiti", without the greased back hair. Raine is always active during concerts. He lets the lyrics, music, his band mates and the fans move him about the stage by their response to him. Great response, the more active Raine can be and vice versa. Raine was all about the stage, pointing and singing to fans throughout the night. Numerous times Raine said how good it was to be back home and how he loved the hometown fans. The only time Raine stood still at his microphone was when he was required to play rhythm guitar. I try to imitate Raine's singing during concerts. It's almost impossible to do because he rarely sings an OLP song exactly the same way twice. Raine never changes the lyrics, but he changes his vocal delivery ever so slightly. Sometimes he uses his falsetto voice as he does on an album and other times he changes the falsetto delivery. He can also emphasize a different word or raise or lower his tone of voice. We all know he can hit numerous notes singing just one word. The cool thing I noticed during Superman's Dead was how Raine sang the last word of each line in the verses in a way I haven't heard before. Raine made his voice waver & warble in a melodic way on the last word only. I was impressed! (lol...who am I, but hoarse voiced fan).

Duncan was wearing all black. When the lights were down low he appeared as a shadowy figure floating to the drums and back to his electric piano. When the lights were up you could see he was enjoying himself. Now I'm not a musician, but I have witnessed other bass players play their notes in a different manner than how it sounds on an album. It's surprising & cool! Duncan did this all night, putting unexpected twists to his note playing. He would use the cool tones entirely on a song or he who go in and out of those tones during the same song to give it a whole new vibe. Duncan made two of his renowned leaps. One each during Superman's Dead & Drop Me in the Water. I love it!

I have made it known before. I am a big fan of drummer Jason Pierce. He has a flashy & dramatic style which pumps me up as I watch. There are so many drum licks which are essential parts of OLP songs. He plays his drums so hard his drum kit shakes. Jason can get me to bounce and jump in place to his drumming. I feel he's toned down his flamboyant style a bit as to not take away from his other band mates talents. There were three different cameras filming in front of the stage. A few times the camera looked over Jason's shoulder as he played. It was a great view!

As fantastic as the other guys performed, Steve Mazur was on fire & out of this world with his guitar playing. I have seen Steve in this "full on" mode maybe three times before. It's rare, but fantastic. Steve always plays good, don't get me wrong. Once in a while he hits this upper level. This was the most amazing time I have seen him play. There was one video camera in front of Steve, Raine & Duncan each which played on the two giant screens on each side of the stage. The fans were treated to up close shots of everyone performing. The cameraman in front of Steve would routinely zoom in on his finger movements on both hands. I had never seen Steve's playing this so clearly and it was amazing. The close up shots of each band member playing may have been a major reason I had so much fun!

The best song of the night for me was Drop Me in the Water. Raine & Jason were into it. Duncan leapt in the air at the song's crescendo, but the best was Steve's solo for this song. On the album recording for this song, Steve has this wicked solo. In concert he has been playing a different solo which was good, but not the one I wanted to hear. When it came to Steve's solo he played his new style solo he has played in concert before. When his solo was over Steve played an entirely new, out of this world solo. This alerted me something special was about to happen. Steve played his Drop Me in the Water solo note for note as it is on the album. I was floored and ecstatic!

The first song of the encore was 4AM. Again, this was something I, a seasoned OLP fan, had never witnessed before. The song began with Raine sitting at his piano alone on stage highlighted by a spotlight. He played so heartfelt & emotionally as the fans could be heard singing along with him. As the song progressed, the other band members came out one by one and picked up their instrument and joined the song separately. As you could imagine, the song built up to this powerful, beautiful, full sounding crescendo which moved me dramatically. The only thing I wrote in my concert notes for this song were, "WOW!" Finally, the thing that put this concert above above all others for me was that I was able to witness the love Toronto music fans have for OLP.

Stop Making Stupid People Famous (late start):

Hugh23