ClumsyMonkey.net

Moon vs Sun - 5/3/19 - London, ON

Thousands can't figure out just what they did, just what they, just what they did...

Moon vs Sun - 5/3/19 - London, ON

Postby Hugh23 » 5/8/2019, 4:57 pm

Aeolian Hall - London, ON

1. Under the Stars (New Moon v Sun)
2. Yellow Brick Road (Raine Solo Album)
3. Time (Chantal Solo Album)
4. I Can Change (New Moon v Sun)
5. Lowlight (New Moon v Sun)
6. Innocent (OLP - Chantal Singing)
7. Johnny Appleseed (Joe Strummer Cover - Chantal & Raine)
8. St. Josephine (New Moon v Sun)
9. Cutie and the Bully (New Moon v Sun)
10. Clumsy (OLP - Raine on piano & Chantal on guitar)
11. Bring That Boy (New Moon v Sun - Raine on piano & Chantal on guitar)
12. Before You (Chantal Solo Album)
13. Daydreaming (Radiohead Cover)
14. Wayne (Chantal Solo Album - Raine singing)
15.I'm Going to Break Your Heart (New Moon v Sun)
16. I Love It When You Make Me Beg (New Moon v Sun)

Encore

1. Lovesong (The Cure cover)
2. Superman's Dead (OLP - Chantal singing lead)

Aeolian Hall is an old building located on the east side of London. The building was completed in 1884 as a Town Hall and served in that capacity for one year. From then on the building served numerous purposes including a fire station, court house, public library, school and other private businesses. In 1947 the building became Aeolian Hall and was used as a concert venue. The building fell into neglect and in need of repairs. It was renovated in 2004 and it is the beautiful concert hall you can visit today. It is rated as one of the top 10 halls in Canada by CBC Radio 3. All the seats on the main floor and the 3 rows of balcony seats were full.

Chantal Kreviazuk and Raine Maida have been married for 23 years and they have 3 boys. As I assume you all know, both Chantal & Raine had separate music careers before meeting and eventually marrying. Their separate musical careers continue to thrive as does their marriage. After all these years together, this musical duo never collaborated on an album together. Thus came the idea for their Moon vs Sun project which has produced a film documentary and a soundtrack album. I have heard the entire new album from a download. I haven't seen the movie, but Chantal & Raine stated during the concert that the movie will be available soon on one of the streaming platforms and select movie theaters. I have read interviews on the internet which Chantal and Raine state how hard it has been to stay married as their careers, family needs and life in general tend to pull each of them in different directions. Some of the songs they wrote for this film documentary are about their love for each other and the struggle to nurture and keep that love fresh and alive.

Chantal came on stage wearing all white, including some cool, white cowboy boots. She wore a faded blue jean jacket over her blouse. Raine came on stage behind her. He was wearing black pants, black shoes and a black leather jacket with a white shirt underneath. I noticed Chantal's mostly white outfit and compared it to Raine's black one as I viewed my concert pictures after the show. Was this just a happy accident or were their clothing choices a nod to their band name?

This is my 3rd time seeing Moon vs Sun since its inception. In 2016 & 2018 when I saw them perform they had only written one song together and their concerts consisted of music from both their careers and covers of their favorite songs. Between each song their is friendly and sometimes hilarious interaction between Chantal, Raine and the audience. This isn't a planned or practiced routine to evoke laughs from the audience, but a true and loving interaction between two people who know each other very well. Each time I have seen this couple perform it's been excellent musicianship with spontaneous and funny conversation between songs.

This was the best of the 3 shows I have seen because I was able to hear some of the new songs live. It was like Chantal & Raine could read my mind when they wrote the set list for their performance this night. They removed some songs from their previous set lists in '16 & '18 and inserted the new songs I wanted to hear most. Thankfully they have played the song 'Wayne' at each show which is one of my favorite songs. Raine has sung lead on this song. I especially enjoyed hearing Chantal perform 'Time' and 'Before You'. A huge roar of applause when 'Before You' finished brought a big smile to Chantal's face!

I will let you judge the new songs for yourself as I recorded 3 of them. I must warn you that I recorded 95% of the songs perfectly. In a small portion of the recordings you can hear my low, scratchy voice singing along. So please be kind as it isn't Chantal or Raine.

Go see Moon vs Sun if you can while they are touring Canada. I believe there will be a U.S. tour in the winter of 2018/19.

I love cowboy boots! I used to own 4 different pairs at one time in different styles and colors. Chantal wore all white, calf high, square-toed boots with silver and black accents. They went well with her outfit:

Hugh23

Re: Moon vs Sun - 5/3/19 - London, ON

Postby astute_99 » 5/16/2019, 10:25 am

Hugh, you're a gem! Great review, as always, and very much appreciated. They sound great!
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99