ClumsyMonkey.net

Santa Cruz, CA - November 19th

Thousands can't figure out just what they did, just what they, just what they did...

Santa Cruz, CA - November 19th

Postby titanMAX » 11/20/2017, 4:36 pm

Superman's Dead
Automatic Flowers
Big Dumb Rocket
Innocent
Is Anybody Home?
One Man Army
Naveed
Paper Moon
Congratulations
Somewhere Out There
Drop Me in the Water
Head Down
Clumsy

Ballad of a Poet
4am
Starseed

I finally got to see the band for the first time ever yesterday and it was so freaking fun! They were really great and into it despite how few people showed up. Seriously, there were not a lot of people there but Raine said that they were "gonna put on the best fucking rock show they could." Also, despite the small crowd, we were a loud and enthusiastic bunch.

I should also shout out a man named Derek who gave me his extra VIP pass. I was waiting outside the Catalyst and this super awesome dude basically asked if I wanted his to meet the band and I could never ever thank him enough. I finally made it to the guys and although I'm sure I was very awkward, they were very personable and cool, specifically Steve.

Smshng Hrts, I thought was a solid opener. I felt like maybe they were a little too one-dimensional singing wise. My friend hated his Flying V guitar and how he was using his fingers. But I liked a few of their songs for sure.

OLP came out and I gotta say they absolutely kicked ass. Superman's Dead and Big Dumb Rocket are such good live songs.
An awesome moment was when the sirens from One Man Army came on and Steve absolutely always nails that song. I was not interested in their Post Malone cover and had hoped they wouldn't play it but it was quick and it was fine. Best song was probably Drop Me in the Water. That song is off the chain. Ballad of a Poet is really wonderful. Starseed is such a blast to be a part of. After Starseed, Steve handed me his pick and I'm not sure it gets cooler than that.

Also I got to pick up Burn Burn, Naveed, and Spiritual Machines on vinyl.

Just an amazing show, I won't ever forget it.
titanMAX

Re: Santa Cruz, CA - November 19th

Postby blueseeka » 11/20/2017, 6:10 pm

Thats awesome. Sounds like a great time. Very small crowd?
blueseeka

Postby xjsb125 » 11/20/2017, 6:12 pm

Solid setlist. Glad you had an awesome first OLP experience! I sometimes think the ultra small venue shows are better than the huge ones, maybe with the exception of Massey Hall.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby titanMAX » 11/21/2017, 5:24 am

I'd say roughly a 100 people were there but it was still very special. I went to Caljam this year, and I only really got a feeling of awe when I saw the massive crowd for Foo Fighters. I got that feeling from OLPs performance this go around. Both amazing but definitely not the same.
titanMAX

Postby PaperMoon » 11/21/2017, 8:15 pm

100 people?!?! Oh man, that makes me so sad!
If you believe in death, you're certain to die. If you believe in love, you're always alive.
PaperMoon

Postby titanMAX » 11/21/2017, 8:27 pm

Maybe a little more but when the opener came out i stopped looking. And to be fair, there were a bunch of people by the bar area that was made into its own section so I could be underselling the amount; but regardless it still wasn't very good. Also the venue itself is a little weird in that there's a venue inside of it. There was another artist in the next room over getting ready so I imagine that didn't necessarily help things out.
titanMAX

Postby faninor » 11/22/2017, 3:24 am

One of my wife's friends went to this show, also her first time seeing them despite being a longtime fan. I'm not too surprised about such a tiny crowd --finding an OLP fan in California is not easy, and probably a good deal of people chose to see them in San Francisco instead.

Thanks for the heads-up about Spiritual Machines, I didn't even realize they'd released it on vinyl! Was gonna grab a copy tonight in LA, but it had sold out at the merch booth. Guess I'll have to track a copy down online!
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby faninor » 11/22/2017, 1:26 pm

Is the SM vinyl they were selling blue, or black? Trying to find a store that actually has it in stock and it seems like maybe there are 2 versions.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby titanMAX » 11/22/2017, 9:10 pm

They were selling a blue one at the show.
titanMAX