ClumsyMonkey.net

The Bowery Ballroom-NYC April 5th

Thousands can't figure out just what they did, just what they, just what they did...

Re: The Bowery Ballroom-NYC April 5th

Postby johnpeterson » 4/6/2012, 1:20 am

well its not looking good that we're ever gonna hear any but 3 tracks from happiness.
johnpeterson

Postby shadowraven » 4/6/2012, 11:38 am

faninor wrote:I tweeted at Raine once asking if he's heard of the LMA but he probably didn't see it. I could see it being a possibility, since it just takes one email for them to opt-in. Maybe someone just needs to talk to them about it and answer any questions/concerns they might have (ie joining the LMA doesn't mean they need an open taping policy, they can specify whatever restrictions they want on what is or is not allowed, etc).

The band they're touring with now, The Pack AD, is on the LMA and (at least used to be) open taping.

Cool. Then I'll probably roll for The Pack AD too.

Seems odd that right after they toured Clumsy and SM in full, they go back to their old ways.
shadowraven

Postby paintedbynumbers » 4/6/2012, 2:01 pm

I thought it was odd too. I thought we would hear more rare gems during this tour. Birdman was played with Steve before as was Thief. So as of now Julia would be the rarest track we have heard. I do like the new material though. Just hoping for more rarities
paintedbynumbers

Postby faninor » 4/6/2012, 3:17 pm

Played with Steve before or not, I would not really discount Thief, All My Friends, The Birdman, and Julia as rarities. I was expecting quite a bit more but the tour's still far from over.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby todddowney » 4/6/2012, 6:40 pm

Good show
Last edited by todddowney on 10/29/2013, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
todddowney

Postby TwoTimes » 4/7/2012, 8:30 am

Happened right next to me. She was the person directly to my right - she turned around and told him to knock it off, he jumped into her again, she shoved him and told him to not do it again. So he did and she went after him. Looked like she took a swing, but my wife said that she just kind of leapt at him and landed on him and then security got there. She did NOT get tossed, so she likely did not throw a punch. Kind of wish she did (punch him, not get run).
TwoTimes

Postby todddowney » 4/7/2012, 10:13 am

Crazy stuff.
Last edited by todddowney on 10/29/2013, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
todddowney

Postby Tattooed Angels » 4/7/2012, 1:38 pm

It should be noted that they played ESCAPE ARTIST( full) in Soundcheck but not the show.(for the songs they play thread) Starseed was not suppose to be on the setlist at all..It was a last minute decision .I even thought to myself that there was only 1-2 times that I saw them live where it has not been performed. Maybe that got that vibe. LOL.

Who ever said the show being so-so was the audience fault, where were you? I was front row center and everyone around me was singing and into the show.. Only one idiot crowd surf to Clumsy.. The only thing that really bothered me was except for my friend( who got my ticket in the pre-sale), I and one other girl everyone around us had bought their tickets off STUBHUB for $70-$95.. Sad that fans had to lay out that much to get into this show. Not that OLP are not worthy of that money but it was not going to them.

I thought the new songs sounded amazing live and Steve on Find Your Way( guitar) was incredible to watch.. I was surprised though that Robin did not play a more prominent role in Angels. If any song screams out added Keys it is that one. ..I actually liked how they did first verse of Naveed into Angels. If anyone remembers the SM shows they did that with Birdman and Carnival. Though I love Naveed on its own I had no problem with them doing it in Angels.

As for Raine climbing my friend and I knew he would do that and even commented on how he would do it. There was a stack of cases but too far for him to get to so he pulled himself up from the wire on the wall before climbing along the edge. I do not remember him asking the crowd to sing Paper Moon at all?

I enjoyed the show.It has been almost 2 years since the last OLP show I went to. I guess cause I was not expecting much on this tour. I have not looked at any previous night setlist. I got the cd on Monday through the pre-sale so listened to it before hand.. They played 5 songs off the new cd. Which is what I thought they would do. They did a great job with the new songs. I liked them more live.. Over all I give it about 8 stars out of 10. Performance wise they were good. Strong performance though Raine did forget some of the second verse of IAH.. He started to laugh then continued singing.

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby Gadmo » 4/8/2012, 1:24 am

Tattooed Angels wrote:Who ever said the show being so-so was the audience fault, where were you? I was front row center and everyone around me was singing and into the show.... I do not remember him asking the crowd to sing Paper Moon at all?

2nd thing first: He didn't outright ask the crowd to sing during Paper Moon, but he did hold the mic out to the audience for a few seconds, and at least where I was, got virtually no response.

1st thing: Admittedly, I was toward the middle of the back or the back of the middle, whichever you prefer. I was about one or two people-lengths in front of the soundboard a little towards stage-right (which gave me a great view of Raine on the balcony). I mentioned in my earlier post that the people up front may have had a different experience regarding the audience - generally the people who make their way up front are gonna be the bigger fans, but if you remember the SM shows (I know you remember the Vanderbilt one, I think we've talked about it) the entire place was feeling those shows - even the people way in the back.

Yeah, the ticketing thing stunk, and Raine even mentioned it at one point toward the end, but you know what, that actually upset me more - they acknowledged that they knew there'd been a problem, but they didn't really take any steps to remedy it... Oh well, still glad I got to see 'em, and like I said, I really liked the show. I thought it wasn't as good as the SM shows (obviously), but way better than the Bowery HIPT shows. Certainly on par with many of the other shows... But seeing a largely indifferent crowd really upset me, almost on a visceral level - especially during Birdman. Knowing how big of a fan you are, I'm happier for you than you realize that you didn't experience what I saw. Next time, I gotta make my way up front.

Edit: I think I switched the order of Birdman and All My Friends in the setlist I posted earlier - my bad.
Gadmo

Postby todddowney » 4/8/2012, 12:26 pm

^That's fair
Last edited by todddowney on 10/29/2013, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
todddowney

Postby Tattooed Angels » 4/8/2012, 1:49 pm

Gadmo wrote:
2nd thing first: He didn't outright ask the crowd to sing during Paper Moon, but he did hold the mic out to the audience for a few seconds, and at least where I was, got virtually no response.

1st thing: Admittedly, I was toward the middle of the back or the back of the middle, whichever you prefer. I was about one or two people-lengths in front of the soundboard a little towards stage-right (which gave me a great view of Raine on the balcony). I mentioned in my earlier post that the people up front may have had a different experience regarding the audience - generally the people who make their way up front are gonna be the bigger fans, but if you remember the SM shows (I know you remember the Vanderbilt one, I think we've talked about it) the entire place was feeling those shows - even the people way in the back.

Yeah, the ticketing thing stunk, and Raine even mentioned it at one point toward the end, but you know what, that actually upset me more - they acknowledged that they knew there'd been a problem, but they didn't really take any steps to remedy it... Oh well, still glad I got to see 'em, and like I said, I really liked the show. I thought it wasn't as good as the SM shows (obviously), but way better than the Bowery HIPT shows. Certainly on par with many of the other shows... But seeing a largely indifferent crowd really upset me, almost on a visceral level - especially during Birdman. Knowing how big of a fan you are, I'm happier for you than you realize that you didn't experience what I saw. Next time, I gotta make my way up front.

Edit: I think I switched the order of Birdman and All My Friends in the setlist I posted earlier - my bad.

I was up front cause I know how The Bowery works.. Seen a bunch of shows there. Bar opens one hour before doors. I got to venue early( just about 3ish) with friends so we would be the first ones in. I also told them there are two doors that open> I took one door( the one near Ladies room-closest to front of stage) and they took back bar door. One of the guards said to the guy at our door that he is going to let me two people up first cause he knows us and knew what big fans we were. I held the spot for my friends. Pretty much all on line outside in front got up front..

I also forgot to mention that after 4AM as they were leaving stage Steve handed out/tossed out all his picks. When they came back on for Starseed he asked the person in front he gave pick to if he could get it back to use. That he would give it back after song. I found that amusing. Asking for his pick back cause he did not have any.

Vanderbelt was an odd show.. I am biased though cause SM is my all time favorite OLP cd. It also was my favorite tour. IMHO that is the cd where they truly came into their own.. Which is why I tried to see mor ehten one SM show in Canada..

I think cause I went to this show with no expectations I had a great time. I do not care what fans, people around me are doing. I get into the shows no matter what. What bothers me abot shows is if seated and the section youa re in does not stand while everyone else is can make it a horrible experience. I had that happen when I saw U2 in 2001.. Every other section was up and dancing. The section I was in sat like stones and got mad if I got up. Same with an OLP show I saw in Ottawa back in 2000.. These 3 people threaten to have me removed from venue for getting up .Go figure.I understand the whole audience thing but now a days I just enjoy the show on my own. People should however not interfere with those who do get up and dance.. Stay home then.. I can see if nobody got up but if everyone is up then I have a problem with it..

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels

Postby todddowney » 4/8/2012, 3:59 pm

^Were you at the show at The Chance in 01'? I remember it being cancelled originally and moved to July, I think.
todddowney

Postby Tattooed Angels » 4/9/2012, 2:04 pm

todddowney wrote:^Were you at the show at The Chance in 01'? I remember it being cancelled originally and moved to July, I think.

Yep.. Been to every area OLP show since 1997 except the April 1999 Irving show they did with Creed. It was a radio only show. Ihad tickets for the Hammerstein show next night. Missed Starland show in 09' cause I was seeing U2 in T.O. Saw them in Hartford instead. Missed them in 95 due to work. I wanted to see the Wetlands show cause one of my favorite venues back them.

The Chance. Show where the stage was so freaking high. It was over your head.> I remember Raine going up to middle of Balcony and singing with crowd..

They had a handful of shows canceled. First cause Raine got sick and then because Duncan hurt his hand riding his bike.

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels

Previous