ClumsyMonkey.net

Thunder Bay 4/27/2010

Thousands can't figure out just what they did, just what they, just what they did...

Thunder Bay 4/27/2010

Postby ihatethunderbay » 4/27/2010, 10:44 pm

Setlist from what I can remember. I think I have all the songs but I'm not 100% on the order. Due to the cancelled SM show, they threw more SM in the second half which I was more than okay with.

Clumsy

----

Monkey Brains
Innocent
Life
Is Anybody Home
One Man Army
Right Behind You
All My Friends
Are You Sad?
Paper Moon
Somewhere Out There
(very fuzzy on the last two. I might be missing a song)

Encore:
In Repair/Naveed
Starseed
All You Did Was Save My Life

- They were a lot louder than I expected!
- Raine was fucking ON tonight. He totally nailed all the falsettos, especially Car Crash and All My Friends, which made me all the more disappointed whenever they played the newer stuff and it was that kind of low, dull, flat voice. It's weird. He sounded so awesome singing the high stuff but a lot of the mid- or lower stuff was flat or off-key. Not that I'm a vocal expert...
- Steve had a bit of trouble with his pedals, I think. A bit of a mess up on the main riff in Carnival because of it, and some noise during Are You Sad
- It was really hard to hear Duncan's backup vocals
- It was almost impossible to hear Raine whenever he was using the megaphone
- Raine was talking before 4am and said something to the effect of thinking he 'didn't have the balls to sing it' after he wrote it, to which a girl in the audience loudly replied 'YES YOU DO'
- Raine called everybody up to the front, to which security objected. Raine pressed the subject, so people crowded up front and they played Is Anybody Home. Afterwards, Raine was like 'Uhh... So apparently this orchestra pit has a low weight... ratio. Maybe some of you should move back a bit' All of three people did, so he kind of shrugged and went 'Well, try not to jump'

All in all, a quite enjoyable concert. The last time I saw them was in Winnipeg in '03, and I remember them not sounding the greatest (although it could have been the arena). My expectations for this show weren't particularly high, especially since I haven't paid any attention to the band in years. However, they kicked ass, the crowd was surprisingly in to it (considering TBay crowds are usually dead), and it was extremely light on the new material which was a big bonus for me.

I really hope someone, somewhere, recorded the show.
hating thunder bay since 2003
ihatethunderbay

Postby MindsOnLoan » 4/27/2010, 11:09 pm

Really hoping some more Happiness/Naveed songs start getting some love in the second set.
MindsOnLoan

Postby ihatethunderbay » 4/27/2010, 11:27 pm

Yeah, I was hoping they would at least play Naveed. Ah well, they played In Repair which made my night.

I wonder if they're going to bother doing a Naveed/Happiness tour. I'd love to see it but I doubt it'd sell. The Clumsy show wasn't even full, and that was with the people who had SM tickets.

Ah, one more thing I forgot to mention: apparently Raine hates Hello Oskar and it almost didn't make the album. Huh!

...Now I really want a Naveed/Happiness tour, just to hear what they have to say about the non-singles that they never play, ever.
hating thunder bay since 2003
ihatethunderbay

Postby faninor » 4/28/2010, 12:03 am

I remember in Vancouver in 2006, the venue had plywood covering up the orchestra pit, and Duncan was literally scared of it collapsing if he jumped from the stage onto it after soundcheck, and instead stepped right over it to the rail. Then during the concert Raine got tons of fans to crowd up front on the plywood. Lucky the thing didn't collapse!
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby Trustworthy » 4/28/2010, 3:21 pm

good times last night!

p.s - i recorded the show :)
Trustworthy
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby faninor » 4/28/2010, 4:03 pm

Trustworthy wrote:good times last night!

Cool let's set up a trade! 8-)
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby Tattooed Angels » 4/28/2010, 5:25 pm

any chance you will do the same for the others? 8-) 8-)

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby Erikka » 4/28/2010, 6:15 pm

Have you recorded Montreal's shows..? :nod:
Erikka