ClumsyMonkey.net

Best CA venue to catch An Evening

Thousands can't figure out just what they did, just what they, just what they did...

Best CA venue to catch An Evening

Postby JeffWich » 12/12/2009, 3:36 am

So, I'm thinking about draining my savings to catch two of the nights. Simply put, I can't miss this.

I'm from Savannah, GA and I've never traveled to Canada, and definitely don't know anything about the venues up there (which are legendary venues of OLP past, etc.) I was wondering if anyone could kinda point me in the right direction as to which show may be the most epic? If I'm going to drop a $1k on tickets and airfare, I want to make sure I get the most out of it. Of course, if there's a CM meetup, I'll most likely make that a priority.

~Jeff
JeffWich

Postby xjsb125 » 12/12/2009, 7:29 am

Massey Hall.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Kathy » 12/12/2009, 8:29 am

agreed!
<I><B>"I know this sounds corny, and I might be a little bit drunk, but honest to god, thank you everybody"</B></I>
Kathy
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby RileyLewis » 12/12/2009, 9:31 am

Er...the Conexus Arts Centre in Regina, SK?

Haha. It's a fantastic venue, but doesn't have quite the history that Massey Hall does.

I imagine Massey Hall would almost be sold out though by now, wouldn't it?

I have an extra ticket to the Spiritual Machines show in Regina if you need it! I need to find someone to buy it, haha!
RileyLewis

Postby Kathy » 12/12/2009, 9:44 am

hhmm... when's the Regina show? My company has an office in Regina and I have to visit every office at some point in the next 12 months. I see the need for a work trip right around the time of this show. Hhmmm..
<I><B>"I know this sounds corny, and I might be a little bit drunk, but honest to god, thank you everybody"</B></I>
Kathy

Postby RileyLewis » 12/12/2009, 10:05 am

May 3 for Clumsy, May 4 for Spiritual Machines. If you need a SM ticket I will sell it at cost (I think $62). It's in row E, so a good seat.
RileyLewis

Postby Tattooed Angels » 12/12/2009, 2:29 pm

Actually Burton Cummings Theatre in Winnipeg is a beautiful place. I saw Chantal there years ago.

Massy Hall is the one alot wills ay cause it is a great venue and their hometown..

The only odd thing for me is that is an early show( 3rd one on the tour) so some kinks may still be worked out. It is one thing to play in a room with each other and to play in front of an audience. I know that will be the show they worry about most..

If you think of it like that I go to a middle show ..

I wanted to do Regina cause I never been to Saskatchewan and always joked about seeing OLP there next time they tour. Plus one of my friends from Manitoba is going to that show. The days are what is stopping me . I work those days and can not really get off ..

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 12/12/2009, 6:17 pm

I think Massey Hall too.
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618

Postby faninor » 12/12/2009, 6:38 pm

I have never been to any of these so I can't tell you for sure -- but I also am pretty impartial. I looked up each venue and here is some info about them:

I definitely DO NOT recommend the Cunard Centre in Halifax, and wouldn't particularly recommend the Centennial Hall in London. Edmonton Events Centre -- only if you much prefer General Admission.

Massey Hall, Burton Cummings Theatre, Jack Singer Concert Hall, Vogue Theatre, Port Theatre, and Royal Theatre all seem like good choices. I would recommend Massey and get the largest CM meetup and hometown crowd, or do one of the BC shows for a smaller show in a beautiful area.

Cunard Centre - Halifax
capacity: 4,000
built: ??? as a cargo shed (renovated to an event center)

Olympia Theatre - Montreal
capacity: 1,370
built: 1925

Massey Hall - Toronto
capacity: 2,752
built: 1894

Centennial Hall - London
capacity: 1,637
built: ??? as a multi-purpose hall

Centre in the Square - Kitchener
capacity: 2,047
built: 1980

Centrepoint Theatre - Ottawa
capacity: 966
built: 1988

Thunder Bay Community Auditorium - Thunder Bay
capacity: 1,500
built: 1985

Burton Cummings Theatre - Winnipeg
capacity: 1,646
built: 1907 as a theater

Conexus Arts Centre - Regina
capacity: 2,031
built: 1970

TCU Place - Saskatoon
capacity: 2,003
built: 1968

Edmonton Events Centre - Edmonton
capacity: 2,000+
built: 1981?

Jack Singer Concert Hall - Calgary
capacity: 1,800
built: 1960's

Vogue Theatre - Vancouver
capacity: 1,100
built: 1941

Port Theatre - Nanaimo
capacity: 800
built: 1998

Royal Theatre - Victoria
capacity: 1,434
built: 1913
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby Carson79 » 12/12/2009, 7:04 pm

I've only been in 1 of these venues and that's the Burton Cummings Theatre (Winnipeg). Beautiful place with great seating in the whole place (well, maybe a couple small exceptions.)

At least in May it won't be a deep freeze, so no worries there.

But being that its the only one I've ever been to, I'm not really qualified to compare.
Rock is dead, and paper killed it.
Carson79

Postby laurel » 12/13/2009, 2:53 am

I wouldn't recommend the Conexus Arts Centre in Regina if you enjoy the historical aspect of theatres.

It's a good theatre, and you can see from everywhere...but it's boring, aesthetically. The theatre itself won't enhance your concert going experience in any way.

TCU Place in Saskatoon is about the same.
laurel
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Soozy » 12/13/2009, 5:35 am

I've been to the Cunard Centre. It's a good venue if you like your rock concert experience not to be constrained by being stuck in a small space next to your seat. Though if you're planning to drink you'll be stuck in a section way at the back (only while you have the drink in your hand) which is bizarre to those of us used to being able to drink wherever we feel like it in a venue. There are large windows down one side which look out onto the water.

The only other one I've been to is Massey Hall which is obviously great and historic.
Open your eyes to nights and days, you close them up and float away
and somehow inbetween you've got to master lying to yourself
you back the cause, get out of school, you get a job, the job gets you
and somehow every day you end up serving somebody else
now if that ain't panic that you're feeling, then you damn well better start
you can drive it into that head of yours with the hammer in your heart.

And it's alriiiiiiiight now, take the world and make it yours again.
Soozy

Postby Matt. » 12/13/2009, 9:04 am

faninor wrote:I definitely DO NOT recommend the Cunard Centre in Halifax

:evil:

The Cunard Centre isn't really so bad as a general admission venue. Soozy's right, though, in that their policy on alcohol isn't exactly great.. Although I have seen Matthew Good at the Cunard Centre twice now and he loves it. Plus, as a city, Halifax is beautiful.

If I could go to any show, though, I'd personally choose between Massey Hall, Jack Singer, or the Royal Theatre. Also, I guess if you're traveling from afar, I'd probably avoid Kitchener, London, Thunder Bay, and Nanaimo just in that there's obviously more to see and do in one of the major cities.
Matt.

Postby Heavy Alibi » 12/13/2009, 10:12 am

Halifax (Cunard Center) is only hosting Clumsy anyway, so that's not an option for Jeff.
—Doesn't anybody ever know—

Heavy Alibi

Postby Dr. Hobo » 12/13/2009, 10:14 am

they shouldve played the rebeccah cohn auditorium.. i dont care if its small.. if it can hold 1500ish for bio 101 at dal it can handle olp :nod:
go fuck yourself.
Dr. Hobo

Postby Matt. » 12/13/2009, 1:04 pm

I agree. :nod: I love the Cohn.
Matt.

Postby faninor » 12/13/2009, 1:47 pm

Matt. wrote:
faninor wrote:I definitely DO NOT recommend the Cunard Centre in Halifax

:evil:

The Cunard Centre isn't really so bad as a general admission venue. Soozy's right, though, in that their policy on alcohol isn't exactly great.. Although I have seen Matthew Good at the Cunard Centre twice now and he loves it. Plus, as a city, Halifax is beautiful.

I was not recommending it based on the building's intended use, it probably has the worst acoustics of anywhere they're playing. It was built as a warehouse now seems to be a generic sort of multi-purpose space. Most of the other venues were built or remodelled specifically for performing arts so those venues are much more likely to have great acoustics. Of course, I could be way off and it could still sound excellent there.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby Matt. » 12/13/2009, 2:00 pm

I was only kidding. The Cunard Centre definitely pales in comparison to the others. I do live here.. So it was only natural for me to defend the little guy. :P
Matt.

Postby Dr. Hobo » 12/13/2009, 5:55 pm

Matt. wrote:I agree. :nod: I love the Cohn.

cohn = :love:
i saw symphony nova scotia perform there as well mr. dressup. mr. dressup is the man. well was, either way tho, it rocks :nod:
go fuck yourself.
Dr. Hobo

Postby JeffWich » 12/14/2009, 7:14 pm

Thanks for all of the input!

I've purchased a VIP package for the Clumsy show, March 12, 2010 at Massey Hall in Toronto. I may just get a regular ticket for the Spiritual Machines show, as the flight is going to cost me around $600... then add in hotel, and holy shit this is going to cost me... Will trade drinks on me all night for someone's couch lol.

Did anyone else get VIP for one night only? Just curious if there are any different plans for the package memorabilia (other than different album art) and/or meet & greet.

~Jeff
JeffWich