ClumsyMonkey.net

Detroit 3/29 - St. Andrews Hall

Thousands can't figure out just what they did, just what they, just what they did...

Detroit 3/29 - St. Andrews Hall

Postby Kicker774 » 2/1/2008, 9:21 am

Being the nice guy I am, I ordered a few extra tickets for this show in case it sold out in seconds.

So if your interested in going shoot me a line to reserve your ticket.
"I wasn't sure if you were a crazy ax murdering pshyco or not when I first met you"
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby Kicker774 » 2/18/2008, 11:39 am

Tickets arrived for the show last week.
3 spares for the taking
"I wasn't sure if you were a crazy ax murdering pshyco or not when I first met you"
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby Kicker774 » 3/24/2008, 8:21 am

Tickets still available at all KickerMaster Ticket offices!!
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby Lando » 3/24/2008, 10:15 pm

:O kickermaster!? wow!
Lando
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005

Postby ArlieKoz13 » 3/30/2008, 1:56 am

Yo Yo. If you remember me, sweet. Used to be a regular poster here. I remember the days when I was in the top ten. If you don't remember me, my name's Arlie. I went to this show tonight, and just wanted to say it was amazing. Just wanted to see if anyone else was there and what they thought of the show.

Woop woop!
Don't say we're healing when it's just not what we do...
ArlieKoz13

Postby Lando » 3/30/2008, 2:42 am

I remember you. Hi again.
Lando

Postby ArlieKoz13 » 3/30/2008, 11:03 am

Why hello. : )
ArlieKoz13

Postby xjsb125 » 3/30/2008, 4:07 pm

I remember Arlie from Edgefest!
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Soozy » 3/30/2008, 4:28 pm

Me too!
Open your eyes to nights and days, you close them up and float away
and somehow inbetween you've got to master lying to yourself
you back the cause, get out of school, you get a job, the job gets you
and somehow every day you end up serving somebody else
now if that ain't panic that you're feeling, then you damn well better start
you can drive it into that head of yours with the hammer in your heart.

And it's alriiiiiiiight now, take the world and make it yours again.
Soozy
Oskar Winner: 2007
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby Kicker774 » 3/30/2008, 9:38 pm

It was like St. Andrews in '01 all over again. Standing out in the cold (Only 90 minutes this time instead of 8+ hours then), meeting new people, Raine climbing the speakers up to then hanging off the balcony and of course feeding the crowd with pure adrenaline.

Daniel White was the opener from England.
He was a one man band of sorts recording snips of a rattle snare, a guitar riff, then some humming/singing into the mic then continually looping it back and crescendoing upon itself into a very energetic finish.

Speaking of energetic I think I found the cure of this nations energy crisis. Just put Jared Paul on an exercise bike, hook it to a generator and give him a water bottle filled with Red Bull. He was a veritable firecracker on stage. Only problem is he comes at you so fast that you may pick up what he's saying but your brain doesn't get the chance to digest it and analyze it. What really sucks was that he had to deal with so much crowd noise from the back half of the place that didn't seem to care. At the end of the 3rd poem he told the crowd "You guys up front make more noise than those at the bar want to hear" Unfortunately with his last poem the noise from the back was getting very distracting for us up front to understand what he was saying. At the end he thanked "The first 15 rows"

Even worse than some loudmouth chick that occurred at one of the last shows was some loudmouth drunk jerk at this show. Guy was ranting and raving that he sucked and didn't pay $20 to see his shit yadda yadda yadda. After Jared chimed in on 'Less I Know' he came down from the stage down to us in the front row to watch the rest of Raine's performance. The drunk jackass ended up right next to him and was telling how much he sucked. Jared just looked straight at him and said 'Thank you. Thank you very much' I maneuvered my way over to the other side of Jared by this time and shoved the guy back before he started anymore shit. Luckily his sober buddy took him away to the rear before anything serious broke out.

As for Raine he and the rest of the band came out with incredible energy.
He set the tone of the show with 'Careful what you wish for' Chantal on the piano really stuck out to me on the album, she did the same thing ten-fold here. Very hard, commanding chords that have a haunting ring to them.

The performance of OHIO was fantastic. The feedback and from the audience gave him the energy to go climb the speaker towers up to the balcony where the house lights came up and the whole crowd was singing the Doooo Do Do Dooo Do Dooooo on Sex Love Honey.

Raine did his cover of 'Try Honesty' which really caught me off guard because of how slowed down he did it. He just introduced it as a punk song and didn't mention Billy Talent. Not hearing the song for a bit I didn't recognize what it was until the first chorus. It's a good song but it just didn't work for me slowed down like that. Kinda came off as those slowed down, ambient elevator music, easy listening parody's of 'Welcome to the Jungle' or 'Crazy Train'

I love the Pixies 'Where is my mind' song. The cover is good and really shows off Chantals vocal range, but it kinda came off as an opera song. It wasn't as slowed down as 'Try Honesty' but still slower than it needs to be. I think they could speed it up a bit and still keep Chantals whole range in there.

And of course it wouldn't be a show without Raine flubbing a line. At the beginning of 'One Second Chance' Raine flubbed up but just laughed it off saying "I'm loosing my mind" (In reference to the previous song) but really let it loose with the rest of the song and really amped up the crowd.

Just like a strong OLP performance the music got me and everyone else around me full of energy and adrenaline. The crowd noise was huge I was jumping up and down screaming at the top of my lungs for the encore. Just as I did in previous years past there at St Andrews and their performance a few years back at the State Theater.

Now that I've finally calmed down and back at home I log on to read to following off Raines MySpace blog ...
"Safe to say... this is just the beginning."

Oh Shiii, Can't wait to see what Raine has up his sleeve for the future.

Raine and OLP was to the breaking point and almost called it quits multiple times just the other year.
Now it seems as if Raines solo work as revitalized him and really changed his outlook on the future.

I've got a feelin, the best is yet to come!
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby ArlieKoz13 » 3/31/2008, 7:55 am

How early were you waiting outside? I got there at like 6:15pm, so I was probably right next to you. Were you in the group right at the front of the line? I also heard the drunk jackass talking crap to Jared Paul. I couldn't believe it. That same guy was falling all over the place right before Raine came on stage. He kept on putting his hand in my bag and then he fell face first into the railing in the first row. Real winner.

It's nice to be remembered by some people. It's been so long since I've been here. Things haven't really changed that much! I hope everyone's doing great! I'll probably hang around a little bit more, now that I'm in grad school and looking for any possible way to procrastinate. :)
ArlieKoz13

Postby xjsb125 » 3/31/2008, 8:16 am

The CM: Distracting Students Since 2002.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby Kicker774 » 3/31/2008, 8:43 am

I got there 6:30 - 7:00 and was lined up right at the corner of the building.

I was in the Red Wings jersey.
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby ArlieKoz13 » 3/31/2008, 4:20 pm

DEE-TROIT!!

You were standing directly behind me for most of the concert. Weird. I'm the unusually 6' tall girl who was in the front row in the purple top, short brown hair. You probably moved from behind me because you couldn't see around me. We definitely made eye contact while waiting in line. Haha, strange.
ArlieKoz13

Postby Kicker774 » 3/31/2008, 8:59 pm

Bwahhahhahaha!!1
DEEEE TROOOOIT!!! *Bumps fist*
Ya gotta love St. Andrews hall

Did you catch the lady with the two missing front teeth and the huge saftey orange parka come up to the girl in white?

This woman came right up to her out of nowhere (Which is strange because of the aforementioned giant orange parka she was wearing) and stared at the girl for like 10 seconds then was like "Your so pweeeety" Then proceeded to beg for change.

I remeber you from the crowd inside but I don't recall you from the line.

I don't rember you from edgefest or any notable previous posts but your Avatar pic does stick out.
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby ArlieKoz13 » 4/1/2008, 2:12 pm

I was in front of you in line. I had a black coat on that was way too not warm for the weather and the 2 hour wait. That same guy that tried to fist pound you talked to the kid directly in front of me for like 10 minutes about how Raine was a "bad boy." Ridiculous. No, I somehow managed to miss the woman in the orange parka. Not sure how, but I don't remember it. Unless all the crazy people just meshed together. How about the guys that were making fun of St. Andrews and asked us if we were waiting in line for free baptisms. Haha, they had Wisconsin t-shirts on, and I yelled "Hey, nice t-shirts, good game yesterday, huh?" They shut up pretty quickly.

Ridiculous. I'm from Buffalo, and now go to U of M, so I'm still getting used to the shenanigans of downtown Detroit. Pretty interesting.
ArlieKoz13

Postby myownsatellite » 4/1/2008, 4:35 pm

Buffalo NY? Whatever would have caused you to move away from here?

/sarcasm

Is Detroit better?

Wait...isn't anywhere better? Ugh I can't wait to get out of here.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Kicker774 » 4/1/2008, 8:33 pm

Detroit vs. Buffallo ...

I dunno their both cold as hell sitting right on the lake.

I'm sure Detroit doesn't get as much snow as Buffalo.

I'd gather to say Detroit has more crime but Buffallo never gives off warm vibes either passing through.

Lions v. Bills ... yikes I couldn't tell you which is worse.

Wings v. Sabers however well you already know my answer to that :P

Spitzer topped Kilpatrick (Detroits mayor) as far as sex scandals go.

In the end Detroit wins out in my book.
Growing up going to Tiger games at old Tiger Stadium and in recent past some of the absolute best OLP concerts evar came from Detroit (State Theater anybody?)

Not to mention Kathy and now Arlie
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby myownsatellite » 4/2/2008, 8:03 am

Wow, that was a slap in the face - Kathy and Arlie are better than me, huh? :(
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite

Postby Kicker774 » 4/2/2008, 9:13 am

Your in Dunkirk/Fredonia not Buffallo
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Next