ClumsyMonkey.net

Canadian Tour March 2018

Thousands can't figure out just what they did, just what they, just what they did...

Re: Canadian Tour March 2018

Postby Matt. » 3/16/2018, 7:23 am

myownsatellite wrote:Massey Hall was the show I wanted to go to, I wish I could have made it! I'll just have to live vicariously through the rest of you...

Right? It's always great seeing them there. Same set as the past few nights but they swapped out Army for Mafia - which was a nice surprise.
Matt.

Postby Fabio_kun » 3/16/2018, 10:40 am

Massey Hall last night was amazing!
Fabio_kun

Postby Matt. » 3/17/2018, 1:04 am

Setlist below for tonight's show at Rebel in Toronto. It was really great seeing them again and especially on back to back nights. So much fun.

Hiding Place For Hearts
Angels Losing Sleep
Superman's Dead
Innocent
Drop Me In The Water
Is Anybody Home (w/Maps snippet)
In Repair (acoustic)
Somewhere Out There (acoustic)
One Man Army
Paper Moon (w/Life snippet)
Head Down
Clumsy
4am

Encore:
Ballad of a Poet
Hello Time Bomb (w/Matt Good)
Starseed
Last edited by Matt. on 3/18/2018, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt.

Postby Hugh23 » 3/17/2018, 2:25 am

Rebel - 3230 capacity
Toronto, ON
March 16, 2018

9:40pm

1. Hiding Place for Hearts
2. Angels/Losing/Sleep
3. Superman's Dead
4. Innocent
5. Drop Me in the Water
6. Is Anybody Home?
7. Maps (Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs cover)
8. In Repair - Acoustic
9. Somewhere Out There - Acoustic
10. One Man Army
11. Paper Moon/Life
12. Head Down
13. Clumsy
14. 4am
10:47pm

10:50pm
Encore

1. Ballad of a Poet
2. Hello Time Bomb with Matthew Good
3. Starseed
11:10pm

Rebel is a night club/concert hall. The concert was the 2nd sold out show of a two night stand by Our Lady Peace in their home town of Toronto, ON. The March 15th show took place at the storied Massey Hall. The fans who gathered for tonight's show were intense Matthew Good & OLP fans. During each set the fans were singing along to many of the songs. This was my first time seeing OLP play in Toronto. I could feel an immediate bond form between the band and the fans as the concert began. I enjoyed how OLP's set began with a brand new song and then was followed by an old, but not often played, Angels/Losing/Sleep.

Our Lady Peace is performing two acoustic songs each night on this tour. In Repair is one of Raine Maida's own personal favorite songs. Raine addressed the fans before starting the song. He said mental illness is a disease much like cancer or some other type of sickness. He went on to say mental health issues are being discussed and treated much better than in the past. He said Canada was at the forefront of this topic and and it is one of the few places in the world where it isn't as stigmatized.

For this acoustic version of In Repair, Jason played an unusual percussion instrument while standing. Raine & Duncan played rhythm, acoustic guitars while Steve played lead, acoustic guitar. (That's right, Duncan wasn't on bass). Only a few bars into the song Rain'e guitar broke a string. He took it off and gave to James, the band's guitar tech. The song continued uninterrupted with Duncan strumming his acoustic guitar confidently has he carried the body of the song. By the time the song was half over, James had returned with Raine's guitar. Raine & Duncan played flawlessly as Steve picked away at the lead notes.

One of the best parts of the night is when Matthew Good and his band share the stage with OLP during the encore to play Matthew Good's hit, Hello Time Bomb. The members of each band take turns playing different parts of the song as Raine sang all of the vocals. All of the guys appeared to enjoy playing this great song together. I had to laugh because Jason really put an effort into playing the cow bell as Blake from the Matthew Good band played on Jason's drum kit for the song.

After Starseed finished a great concert and OLP gathered together for a final bow. Raine grabbed the mic one last time to say he would always choose to play in front of his home town city of Toronto over any other city.

Hugh23

Postby astute_99 » 3/17/2018, 2:08 pm

I take back what I said earlier, as the setlists have become more varied and interesting. Also, love that we're getting A/L/S. Sad they seem to have dropped Naveed, much better closer than Starseed, imo.

Can't wait for Abbotsford! Anyone else going?
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby myownsatellite » 3/17/2018, 6:06 pm

Hugh23 wrote:In Repair is one of Raine Maida's own personal favorite songs. Raine addressed the fans before starting the song. He said mental illness is a disease much like cancer or some other type of sickness. He went on to say mental health issues are being discussed and treated much better than in the past. He said Canada was at the forefront of this topic and and it is one of the few places in the world where it isn't as stigmatized.

Wow, thank you for this paragraph. I have always associated this song with my own struggle with depression, but didn't realize that's what it was *actually* about, let alone that it's one of Raine's favorites. It's my favorite OLP song simply because of what it always meant to me. I wish I'd been there to hear him talk about it.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Hugh23 » 3/18/2018, 8:15 am

Mental health issues are important to Raine. I don't know why. I can only assume the issue has affected him personally in some way. I also am in tune with this conversation because mental health issues affect those in my family.

I'm from the Detroit area and mental health issues are rarely discussed. People in the U.S. are becoming aware it is a common issue, but I don't discuss my feelings about the subject with others.

Being from Detroit l get CBC Windsor TV plus two cool alternative rock radio stations based in Windsor, ON. There are numerous mental health PSAs and campaigns on these stations and I've seen Canadian internet campaigns for mental health issues before. I am impressed by Canada in this regard.

It seems to me that doctors are beginning to understand depression and other mental illnesses and they have developed better counseling treatments combined with new drugs.

It's cool Raine & OLP support War Child and mental health issues.
Hugh23

Postby xjsb125 » 3/18/2018, 10:33 am

Raine's brother in-law, Chantal's brother, has mental health issues. I'm assuming that is the reason why it is so important to him.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Locobone » 3/20/2018, 2:38 pm

Locobone

Postby PaperMoon » 3/27/2018, 12:01 pm

astute_99 wrote:Can't wait for Abbotsford! Anyone else going?

I am!
If you believe in death, you're certain to die. If you believe in love, you're always alive.
PaperMoon

Postby astute_99 » 4/2/2018, 12:51 pm

Just got back home from Abbotsford, thought I'd offer a review of the final show on the tour.

While there was plenty of empty seats when Ellevator got on to open the show, the place eventually was packed for Matt Good.

I felt bad for Ellevator as few were paying attention and the music was mostly meh to me. Not my style. Still, they presented themselves and their music pretty well, I wish them success. They played I think 7 songs, including some from a new EP coming out on April 20.

Next up was Matt Good, thankfully, and he got a huge ovation from the crowd as he walked to a lone spotlight and began an emotional solo acoustic version of Apparitions. The crowd was fully behind Matt all night, and while he merely stood by the mic the whole time and performed fewer guitar parts than usual, his voice was incredible and powerful as always, and his spirits seemed high. The whole set rocked, 9/10.

Before I get in depth into the OLP set list, here it is in full: Hiding Place for Hearts, Superman's Dead, Is Anybody Home?/Maps, Drop Me in the Water, In Repair (acoustic), Somewhere Out There (acoustic), One Man Army, Thief, Innocent, Clumsy, 4am, Starseed; Encore: Ballad of a Poet, Hello Time Bomb (Matthew Good Band cover, with Matthew Good and Ellevator).

OLP opened with a very cool keyboard intro with a mesmerizing light display before launching into Hiding Place for Hearts. I wasn't sure about this song as an opener when I saw it on other setlists, but it was fantastic and rocked much harder than I thought it would. They really leaned into it.

Superman's Dead was next after an extended outro to the previous song, and they did a solid job. Raine gave the crowd a 6/10 on our singing during the required part, and got maybe up to a 7.5 on the second.

I should pause here to mention the crowd. It appeared to be a sold out house and everyone was clearly enjoying the show all night long. Seating on the floor so not much dancing going on, most stayed seated. Singalongs were ok to start, but petered out a bit, particularly on the next song Is Anybody Home?, which they ended with a quick jam of Maps by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Steve really did a great job on this cover, and I see why they picked it.

The guys were on fire by this point though, fighting to get the crowd into it and they eventually won them over with Drop Me in the Water, which had an extended outro that really impressed me. I wish the album version sounded like that.

Next up was the acoustic set, In Repair and Somewhere Out There. In Repair sounded like it could use a bit more practice and a bit muddy during the main riff, but otherwise it was as beautiful as you'd hope it would be. Somewhere Out There got the crowd singing again, as they could actually be heard over Raine throughout the song.

By the time One Man Army hit, the band and the crowd were firmly together, and the energy in the building was very high. Steve gave an inspired solo, and Raine's voice was classic 1999.

This was probably a high point for Jason and Duncan as well, both of whom I haven't mentioned yet. Because I'd been living out of country for several years, this was my first chance to see Jason behind the kit (as I'm sure this tour was for many). It's clear that he fundamentally changes their sound, and I'm torn about it. On the one hand, he's clearly a very solid rock drummer; he's got serious chops. He seems to push the band very hard, and overall I love the addition. I thought he was phenomenal tonight. Still, his style isn't the same as Jeremy and it's going to take some getting used to.

As for Duncan, fans of this band know what to expect from him, and he was exactly that tonight. All his bass lines were on point, and he was jumping around and singing hard all night. Gave his all, and I was appreciative and impressed yet again.

After One Man Army things slowed down a bit for Thief, and they did a solid full band performance of that one. Raine was again great here, as he was all night.

Clumsy followed, and the crowd again ate every bit of it up. Huge pop for the intro, and you could tell the guys were feeling it as they headed into yet another extended outro. Man, they rocked those hard tonight!

The penultimate song of the set was 4am, and the crowd again sang heartily along with Raine, who ventured into the crowd to get up close and personal, as he always does. 4am is always a highlight of any concert for me, as it really shows the personal and intimate connection so many people have with this band, and vice versa.

They finished up with what seemed like a 10-minute version of Starseed, with an updated and exciting new long intro that nearly brought the house down, while everyone stood, danced, and sang.

They came back for the encore with Balled of a Poet. Raine again told the song's origin story, with Gord Downie's name getting the second loudest cheer of the night, and mid-way through implored everyone to hold up their cell phones and lighters in honour of Gord. It was haunting and beautiful. I got goosebumps.

The loudest pop of the night though came next, when Matt Good, his band, and Ellevator returned to the stage for Hello Time Bomb. This was where the concert reached an appropriate crescendo, and I can almost hear the last "solid gooooold!" still echoing. By the way, Matt screwed up his very last vocals of the tour, and Raine laughed at him so hard he couldn't sing :D

Unfortunately that was it, as they had played Starseed earlier in the night. Actually I would say overall I was disappointed with their set list. The band was great tonight and they killed the songs they did play, but I would have also liked to have heard something a bit different. Really feels like they wanted to play it safe with just the hits to finish up the tour, which was the opposite of what I was hoping for. Only three new songs feels like a disappointment too, as I was hoping for at least Head Down or Nice to Meet You as well.

Overall though, what made me happiest was the performance. The band seems to have as much energy and enthusiasm as ever. Combined with a renewed interest and popularity after the release of Somethingness (at least I'm seeing that here in BC, where Drop Me in the Water is still on our local radio top 20 countdown and has received heavy air play), I'm very, very excited for the future of this band, and hopefully they can use this surge to keep moving OLP forward with more amazing records and tours.

Thanks for reading!
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby xjsb125 » 4/2/2018, 4:11 pm

Great review! I think catching the last show of the tour is a tough spot because I think the band is usually worn out at that point and you may not get as deep of a setlist as you would midway through the tour. I think the middle of a tour is the sweet spot for the best setlists and shows. On the opposite end, the opening night of a tour is tough because there is that bit of rust to knock off, and figuring out what works in the set and what doesn't. Glad you enjoyed the performance!
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby paintedbynumbers » 4/4/2018, 9:38 am

I am a bit disappointed by the setlists. I wouldn't have been so let down but after seeing all the twitter posts about songs that could be used on this tour and maybe only hearing 1 or 2 it really left no surprises. Story of a girl was played before the tour once but never during the actual tour. I would have loved to see a more varied set during the tour. Maybe next time.
paintedbynumbers

Postby Hugh23 » 4/8/2018, 1:22 am

Thank you for the review astute_99.
Hugh23

Previous