ClumsyMonkey.net

New Computer. Suggestions?

Chat area.
Did you want to escape, try to escape the population?

New Computer. Suggestions?

Postby DG » 9/24/2011, 9:52 pm

I haven't had a desktop in about 2 years, I've been working on my laptop currently.

I think I beat this thing to death now that it's starting to run slow and can't get my HD video projects done without the programs crashing any time I try to edit the video.

Obviously, a laptop doesn't have as much power as a desktop can, especially mine. So, I'm looking to return to a desktop. And I want to make this purchase worth it. The best I can get (and also afford) for handling a lot of video processing.

So, any suggestions on product or where a good place is to customize a PC for this?
DG

Postby xjsb125 » 9/24/2011, 11:23 pm

Custom build your own desktop. You won't get what you need from a specific manufacturer. I bought up all the parts for mine from NewEgg.com. For processors, if you are a Pentium fan, you'll want a Core i5, or Core i7 processor, as well as an outstanding video card (or two!). The i series processors are expensive, but can handle the HD video. I would also recommend using a SSD for your operating system. Go 64 bit on your OS. You can find legal copies on eBay and Craigslist for reasonable prices.

For building a video rig that will do what you want, you will probably spend around $1200, unless you bargain hunt for the parts you need.

Also, when you are editing HD, are you using proxy files, or the actual source video?
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby saman » 11/2/2011, 11:08 pm

how did this turn out for you dylan? my personal preference in desktops has always been for hp, so i would've suggested an hp elite desktop, dependent on the specs
saman
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Kicker774 » 11/9/2011, 11:44 am

Whats your budget?
"I wasn't sure if you were a crazy ax murdering pshyco or not when I first met you"
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774