ClumsyMonkey.net

Favorite Movies of 2008

Chat area.
Did you want to escape, try to escape the population?

Favorite Movies of 2008

Postby megxyz128 » 12/30/2008, 3:28 pm

I've been reading a lot of critics' top 10 lists of 2008 lately and am wondering what would make up everyone's favorites of this year?

In no order, a few of my favorites:

Let The Right One In - Swedish movie about 12 year olds Oskar and Eli who meet and form an unusual bond/friendship/romance. Unusual because Eli is a vampire. I'd been seeing this one on so many year end lists that I had to check it out and I'm so glad that I did. This movie, from the scenery, the actors, the story, everything seemed so original. Everyone should find a way to watch this one now because I read that they are already working on an American remake which we all know is going to suck.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Although some people have been saying that this is a Forrest Gump rip-off (same writer too) I still loved all 2 hours and 50 minutes of this movie. The special effects are mind-blowingly good and didn't feel fake or overdone at all. Even though I love Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett I really fell for all of the secondary characters (the tugboat captain, Queenie, the lightening man).

In Bruges - I think because this came out early in the year that it's not going to recognized come award season, but this movie was so funny and actually made me like Colin Farrel (I'm usually not a fan of his movies). Brendan Gleason and Ralph Fiennes were also amazing in the movie as well as the city of Bruge itself, definitely a movie to rent if you haven't seen it.

Other movies I loved, but am taking up too much space so I'll just name: The Dark Knight, Burn After Reading, and Wall-E

And there are sooo many more I want to see but haven't had a chance or haven't made the trek: Slumdog Millionaire, Doubt, Milk, The Wrestler, Rachel Getting Married.
- megan.
megxyz128

Postby Lando » 12/31/2008, 1:54 am

I haven't seen Let The Right One in yet, but I've wanted to, same with The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I usually go to later shows and since it's almost 3 hours long they don't have a 9:00 or later show so that's been a problem, but come on! It's only 15 minutes longer than the Dark Knight and they showed that at like 10:00 pm! Bastards!

I totally agree with you on In Bruges, I loved that movie, very witty writing. Burn after Reading was somewhat of a let down, I still liked it a lot, but I expected to like it more so it let me down a bit, I guess because No Country For Old Men was so phenomenal I expected this one to be on that sort of level except with the level of comedic effect that The Big Lebowski had. It's still really good though and Brad Pitt is awesome in it.

I liked Wall-E, but I don't know if I'd put it in a best of the year list myself. It's good though. I want to see a few of the others you mentioned too, especially The Wrestler, Darren Aronofoski is an awesome character writer/director. One of the best at humanizing characters. Just look at Requiem. I'd say only Paul Thomas Anderson and a few others might be a bit better at that. Which is pretty impressive.
Lando
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005

Postby laurel » 12/31/2008, 1:57 am

YOU LOVED WALL-E. YOU SO DID. well, i did. i appreciated it waaaaaaay more the second time around, though. and when it was played on a really good tv instead of a theatre screen.

i love wall-e.
laurel
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Lando » 12/31/2008, 2:01 am

Okay, I loved Wall-E, but not enough to put it on a best of the year list for me. I'd probably narrow my list down to one movie per genre or type and I enjoyed Kung Fu Panda more than Wall-E.
Lando

Postby Johnny » 12/31/2008, 1:32 pm

I, Robot!
Professional Canadian.
Johnny
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007

Postby megxyz128 » 12/31/2008, 2:19 pm

Lando wrote:I liked Wall-E, but I don't know if I'd put it in a best of the year list myself. It's good though. I want to see a few of the others you mentioned too, especially The Wrestler, Darren Aronofoski is an awesome character writer/director. One of the best at humanizing characters. Just look at Requiem. I'd say only Paul Thomas Anderson and a few others might be a bit better at that. Which is pretty impressive.

Yeah I'm really excited about seeing The Wrestler, partly for Aronofsky, partly due to the fact that my sister and brother-in-law run an independent wrestling fed. and have all of those types of guys passing through their shows (Raven, Scotty 2 Hotty, etc.) so it'll be interesting to see the movie through that perspective.

As for Wall-E, I think I liked it so much because it wasn't a movie dumbed down for kids at all, which seems rare. And any movie that makes me love the characters even though there's no dialogue for a good portion of the movie is pretty cool. I haven't seen Kung Fu Panda yet but I've been hearing such good things about it that I think I'll check it out now.
- megan.
megxyz128

Postby crustine » 12/31/2008, 3:10 pm

happy-go-lucky
<center>~Hope Matters~</center>
<center>Her beauty was disarming, but she had no other resources for dealing with the world.
<center>Image</center>
crustine
Oskar Winner: 2007
Oskar Winner: 2007