ClumsyMonkey.net

New Hitchhikers Novel (wtf?)

Chat area.
Did you want to escape, try to escape the population?

New Hitchhikers Novel (wtf?)

Postby starseed_10 » 9/16/2008, 7:23 pm

Children's author Eoin Colfer has been commissioned to write a sixth instalment of the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy series.

Mostly Harmless, the last Hitchhiker book, was written by its creator, the late Douglas Adams, 16 years ago.

Now Adams's widow, Jane Belson, has given her approval to bring back the hapless Arthur Dent in a new book entitled And Another Thing...

Eoin Colfer, 43, is best known for the best-selling Artemis Fowl novels.

He said he was "terrified" by the prospect of creating a new Hitchhiker book almost a quarter of a century after being introduced to what he described as a "slice of satirical genius" in his late teens.

'Pressure'

"My first reaction was semi-outrage that anyone should be allowed to tamper with this incredible series," he said.

"But on reflection I realised that this is a wonderful opportunity to work with characters I have loved since childhood and give them something of my own voice while holding on to the spirit of Douglas Adams.

"I feel more pressure to perform now than I ever have with my own books, and that is why I am bloody determined that this will be the best thing I have ever written.
Arthur Dent
The book also spawned a BBC TV series starring Simon Jones

Jane Belson said: "I am delighted that Eoin Colfer has agreed to continue the Hitchhiker series.

"I love his books and could not think of a better person to transport Arthur, Zaphod and Marvin to pastures new. The project has my full support."

Adams died of heart failure in 2001, aged 49.

Around 16 million copies of his Hitchhiker books, which have been translated into 35 languages, have been sold around the world.

Colfer was a primary school teacher in Ireland before he secured the largest ever advance for a children's novel by an unknown author.

His Artemis Fowl series, about a teenage criminal mastermind who wreaks havoc in this world and the next, went on to sell more than 18 million copies worldwide and a film adaptation is due to go into production next year.

And Another Thing... will be published in October next year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7619828.stm

Does anybody know anything about this guy? Is this going to suck?
blah
starseed_10
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby Random Name » 9/16/2008, 7:37 pm

No.

Ack.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby myownsatellite » 9/16/2008, 7:44 pm

Artemis Fowl are seriously popular books among young adults, but I've never read any of them.

I'm deeply disturbed that people are allowed to do these types of things to "classic" literature. I wish they would just leave them alone.

Then again, I'm conflicted. Shakespeare certainly didn't make up a lot of what he wrote, he took it from other writers who came before him. So did Chaucer. Even my favorite writer, Dan Simmons, adapted several things into his own series, but he did it in very different ways.

Meh. I'm just concerned. These books are still so recent that it doesn't seem right yet for them to be adapted by a new writer.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby saman » 9/16/2008, 7:47 pm

it could go either way. it could either really suck, or be decent. considering the hitchhiker's guide series kinda went downhill after the third book, i'm curious to see if this new guy will be able to breathe new life into the series or if he'll just butcher it.
saman

Postby myownsatellite » 9/16/2008, 7:50 pm

Yeah, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
I guess I should say that I'm working on my own adaptation of a famous story, so I can't really criticize...but meh. I haven't been very happy with the state of the literary market lately, so I guess I'm just frustrated with people not being able to come up with something of their own, or at least to rewrite something in such a different way that the only way you'd know it was the same as something else is if you'd read the original.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite

Postby Random Name » 9/16/2008, 8:02 pm

hi steve
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Take apart your head

Random Name

Postby starseed_10 » 9/16/2008, 10:01 pm

Hi Sarah. What's new, dude?
blah
starseed_10

Postby crustine » 9/17/2008, 9:10 pm

This is like the prequel to Anne of Green Gables that is being written, obviously laking the campiness of HGTTG.
<center>~Hope Matters~</center>
<center>Her beauty was disarming, but she had no other resources for dealing with the world.
<center>Image</center>
crustine

Postby afealicious » 9/17/2008, 11:39 pm

IMPORTANT BIT OF TRIVIA

My nickname Afe is actually derived from Artemis Fowl. Did nobody know this? Well, long story. But I have been a really huge fan of those books for a really long time and this bit of news made me really, really excited.

It'll definitely be a whole different style, but Eoin Colfer is very capable of being hilarious and witty for adult audiences as well as young adult, and I fully believe that he will kick a lot of ass. Or brains. Right out of your head, because your mind will be so blown.
afealicious
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby saman » 9/18/2008, 6:40 pm

wait, is "afe" derived from artemis fowl, or "afealicious"?

oh noes! not my brains!
saman

Postby Random Name » 9/18/2008, 7:33 pm

starseed_10 wrote:Hi Sarah. What's new, dude?

Thank you for the H.
Not much new. Chillin.
Have a good summer?
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Take apart your head

Random Name

Postby starseed_10 » 9/18/2008, 9:41 pm

Sure did. Best time of my life in May/June. The rest was pretty good.

How about you?
blah
starseed_10

Postby crustine » 9/19/2008, 8:26 am

Sarah there is much pictorial evidence of said fun :jer: should you do a bit of investigation :eek:
<center>~Hope Matters~</center>
<center>Her beauty was disarming, but she had no other resources for dealing with the world.
<center>Image</center>
crustine

Postby starseed_10 » 9/19/2008, 6:03 pm

Not true. Those are all photoshops.
blah
starseed_10

Postby Random Name » 9/19/2008, 6:59 pm

I appreciate the antiquated tradition of asking.

My summer was boring and not the best summer of my life. But next year is looking nicer. I'm going to photoshop my face in front of loads of cool things next summer.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Take apart your head

Random Name

Postby saman » 11/13/2009, 10:25 pm

did anyone read this book yet? it's been out for a while, and i browse through it whenever i go to a bookstore, but i can't justify paying $30 for it yet.

also, i still have no idea what afe jen meant about her name, even though i've read all the artemis fowl books since she posted
saman